• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stars consider quitting England or county contracts for IPL deals

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
I tried to find other sky channels however I could not. As I noted above, this data is strangely elusive.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
In NZ the IPL seems to be viewed as more of a sneaky method to cash up young NZ players by fellow kiwis in management roles rather than a serious tournament. I had no idea Conway was having a good tournament until I saw someone post it on here.

Obviously we are a small market but it's impact here is almost negligible* and the same would hold true I suspect for Australia. There are simply too many more relevant sports in friendlier time slots than the IPL, which is competing with EPL, NFL and F1 for sports fans willing to stay up late or wake up early. An IPL market victory for player talent would kill cricket in Oceania overnight.

*Kiwi Indians do watch the highlights religiously, but Youtube ad revenue is not known to be great for content providers.
Aside from a few articles scathing the form of Warner, the IPL and other foreign domestic comps has zero public cut through

Yeah it is footy season but I’d wager a test series would get significant more public following and interest

And that’s the major issue for me. If we’re producing players via extensive investment in their development and they choose to play in random domestic tournaments overseas and produce no return on their investment ( I.e create exposure for the national team and growth of the game in their native country) then they should have to pay back the millions that boards spend on developing them

Chin Music

State 12th Man
Perhaps some players who are right at the end of their international careers might consider a couple of years going full time on this. I couldn't blame them if they chose that. However, on a (semi) related note, Cristiano Ronaldo, who is very obviously past his best, seems to want to leave his Saudi club just after a few months. So a seriously remunerated bloke doesn't find all that money to his liking............

Socerer 01

International Captain
Perhaps some players who are right at the end of their international careers might consider a couple of years going full time on this. I couldn't blame them if they chose that. However, on a (semi) related note, Cristiano Ronaldo, who is very obviously past his best, seems to want to leave his Saudi club just after a few months. So a seriously remunerated bloke doesn't find all that money to his liking............
there’s a difference between wanting to leave a league that poses no challenge to a guy thriving on competitiveness and similar logic being applied to the ipl which is the most competitive t20 tournament out there other than the world cup

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
Viewing ratings are quite complex though, and there are multiple methods for calculating viewership that will get different results. This goes for all television and streaming. Do you count it per minute watched? Only those who watch a whole program? Only those who watch the end? What percentage of the program watched counts as a "view"? It's not as simple as an in-game cricket stat.

But yes there will definitely be plenty of data that broadcasters will have but not want to reveal to the public, for varying but obvious reasons
That is the case for all statistics.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Aside from a few articles scathing the form of Warner, the IPL and other foreign domestic comps has zero public cut through

Yeah it is footy season but I’d wager a test series would get significant more public following and interest

And that’s the major issue for me. If we’re producing players via extensive investment in their development and they choose to play in random domestic tournaments overseas and produce no return on their investment ( I.e create exposure for the national team and growth of the game in their native country) then they should have to pay back the millions that boards spend on developing them
The boards have total control over contracted players as their availability is dependent upon the receipt of a NOC

For example, Morris was prevented from playing CC this year as CA wouldn’t release him

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The boards have total control over contracted players as their availability is dependent upon the receipt of a NOC

For example, Morris was prevented from playing CC this year as CA wouldn’t release him
And what happens when they decline to be contracted at all?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And what happens when they decline to be contracted at all?
See Tim David

CA played no role in his development so don’t deserve any compensation plus he’s not under contract so there’s no recourse anyway

Players who retire from international cricket & then play the T20 circuit have generally played their part in filling the board’s coffers while playing for their country

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Without international stars, almost every franchise league will lose a lot of their sheen. The novelty factor of watching consistent opponents play as team mates etc. are a big driver to these T20 leagues and especially the IPL. Also, if international cricket becomes lesser, then individual boards will have less and less to invest in the game and the interest will gradually go to other sports, which means we will be back to square one of not having enough talents to fulfil the demand.

The argument raised against this is how the likes of Jansen are being identified by franchises like MI but again, you can scout all you want but if there is not enough people interested in taking up the sport, there ain't gonna be much to find.

I am not against the IPL franchises spreading their wings and buying teams in other leagues and setting up a global presence etc. but it should not be at the cost of international cricket. That will be a classic case of killing the golden goose.

Flem274*

123/5
Without international stars, almost every franchise league will lose a lot of their sheen. The novelty factor of watching consistent opponents play as team mates etc. are a big driver to these T20 leagues and especially the IPL. Also, if international cricket becomes lesser, then individual boards will have less and less to invest in the game and the interest will gradually go to other sports, which means we will be back to square one of not having enough talents to fulfil the demand.

The argument raised against this is how the likes of Jansen are being identified by franchises like MI but again, you can scout all you want but if there is not enough people interested in taking up the sport, there ain't gonna be much to find.

I am not against the IPL franchises spreading their wings and buying teams in other leagues and setting up a global presence etc. but it should not be at the cost of international cricket. That will be a classic case of killing the golden goose.
I actually prefer the T20 leagues with less overseas stars. They feel more authentic and I like watching the local players. 10 locals and 1 import (2 at most) is a good balance.

I realise though that I am far from the target market in the peak consumption sporting world. The bigger leagues wouldn't mind even more overseas players if they got eyes on telly.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Champions League T20 was a neat concept imo. Pity the fans didn't buy it and viewership was poor. IPL bias is commonly blamed for that but I don't think it was the reason it failed - viewership figures even in India were much poorer than the IPL from the get go.

It would've brought in loads of money to the not so rich teams that made it, plus that would mean more interest in winning the domestic leagues back home.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I actually prefer the T20 leagues with less overseas stars. They feel more authentic and I like watching the local players. 10 locals and 1 import (2 at most) is a good balance.

I realise though that I am far from the target market in the peak consumption sporting world. The bigger leagues wouldn't mind even more overseas players if they got eyes on telly.
Yeah but like you said, your views may not be the majority of the audience. My point is, even from an IPL Franchise Owner's perspective, a thriving international cricket market is essential to sustain the success of the IPL.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Champions League T20 was a neat concept imo. Pity the fans didn't buy it and viewership was poor. IPL bias is commonly blamed for that but I don't think it was the reason it failed - viewership figures even in India were much poorer than the IPL from the get go.

It would've brought in loads of money to the not so rich teams that made it, plus that would mean more interest in winning the domestic leagues back home.
I doubt it was the reason it failed, but it did turn it into a bit of a farce

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
It did highlight one of the issues with the proliferation of T20 leagues, that the same players appear for multiple teams over the course of a year, unlike football, rugby and most other sports. This constant movement of players can hinder supporter identification with teams and sometimes gives the impression that it is all just a big exhibition.

To a lesser degree, this is also my gripe with overseas players coming and going on short term contracts over the county season, sometimes only to play 2-3 games. It diminishes it as a team or squad game played over the whole season.