• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stars consider quitting England or county contracts for IPL deals

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
First Class Cricket and Test Cricket are not well marketed , pay poorly and don't get a lot of crowd support in the majority ..T20 exposed this , for the game to survive compromises are going to have to be made , maybe Test Cricket should be seen as something compulsory like taxes , and all these T20 leagues should be obligated to pay fees that would go towards the upkeep of Test Cricket .

Xix2565

International Debutant
It’s because first class and international cricket doesn’t make as much money. Not that hard really…

And I’m not blaming the other formats so much as pointing out that F1 and golf, the two other sports that could maybe be considered somewhat similar to test cricket with regards to the issues it may face from a TV audience perspective, don’t have the same problem of another format within the same sport at the same level.
They don't make money because the people running it don't try to make money in a better way. Nothing to do with the formats themselves.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
First Class Cricket and Test Cricket are not well marketed , pay poorly and don't get a lot of crowd support in the majority ..T20 exposed this , for the game to survive compromises are going to have to be made , maybe Test Cricket should be seen as something compulsory like taxes , and all these T20 leagues should be obligated to pay fees that would go towards the upkeep of Test Cricket .
This is a terrible idea.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australian domestic cricketers are on a pretty reasonable wicket these days

I know a young guy who pulls in about 450k per year between his state contract, BBL, endorsements etc

However, there’s no job security beyond his existing contracts, he’s one serious injury away from needing a job and his earnings are taxed

I can see a 2 year, $5 million contract being incredibly tempting for some as they could get residency in a tax haven like Dubai and make career money in a short period

_00_deathscar

International Regular
They don't make money because the people running it don't try to make money in a better way. Nothing to do with the formats themselves.
If you think tests have the means to make as much money as franchise T20s do, you do not understand advertising revenue.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
I'm not sure it's workable. How would the BCCI feel if one their top players wasn't allowed to play for India because an IPL franchise needed him to play in one of their T20 tournaments? How would the player himself feel about it?

Also a 12 month contract is exactly that. Players could be told they're not wanted after that and other franchises might not want them. If that was an England player they would be out of contract with both England and their county. What then? They will probably sign with a county but it's not guaranteed.

I don't think a 12m franchise deal is as attractive as its presented. Sure the money is good but money isn't everything. I can see some players turning this down.

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
In the English context I see this being most attractive to fringe internationals of 30 and above rather than younger players or international regulars. If such a player did not have their contract renewed they could probably count on picking up a short term deal in another T20 league.

Socerer 01

International Captain
I'm not sure it's workable. How would the BCCI feel if one their top players wasn't allowed to play for India because an IPL franchise needed him to play in one of their T20 tournaments? How would the player himself feel about it?

Also a 12 month contract is exactly that. Players could be told they're not wanted after that and other franchises might not want them. If that was an England player they would be out of contract with both England and their county. What then? They will probably sign with a county but it's not guaranteed.

I don't think a 12m franchise deal is as attractive as its presented. Sure the money is good but money isn't everything. I can see some players turning this down.
the BCCI doesn’t give permission to it’s players to play in other leagues

Xix2565

International Debutant
If you think tests have the means to make as much money as franchise T20s do, you do not understand advertising revenue.
Not matching franchise money =/= utterly useless at making money to sustain the format. Really not that difficult to get smfh.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Keen to see how LIV Golf vs PGA plays out, probably lots of learnings to be drawn from there on how this could go

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
no, they are already annoyed at ipl owners trying to diversify
Could there be a possible situation though where the franchises sign up the top Indian players and form their own breakaway version of IPL so that the franchises have full control of Indian players? A sort of T20 version of Packer.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Could there be a possible situation though where the franchises sign up the top Indian players and form their own breakaway version of IPL so that the franchises have full control of Indian players? A sort of T20 version of Packer.
i wouldn’t believe so. the bcci secretary is the son of the most influential person in the ruling party of India and no one has done or even stated anything against them to the point they have been silent on an ongoing protest by wrestlers against the head of their federation because he is also a ruling party member despite being called out on it

going against the bcci means not only earning the ire of them but also other things like missing out on pension and many other perks and benefits and getting blacklisted by the system which means they won’t have much future in cricket other than this rebel ipl. you may get some players like Raina or Uthappa but most domestic players won’t be willing to give up on the security of bcci match fees, contracts and pensions despite how delayed they are and without a bulk of players I don’t see how it all works