• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Srinath in tests: 1996-2002

R_D

International Debutant
As far as I am aware, Srinath never learnt to pitch the ball in right areas. Once in a while he found his rhythm and showed how good he could be if he worked harder and and showed a bit more heart. The look at his face when he was hit for a four/six was very depressing as a cricket fan.

He comes across as someone who always complained.
Yeah i have two memories of Srinath as well..... balling half trackers and than complaining why the hell didn't the fielder stop the bowl :p

But he did learn to pitch it further up the pitch towards the end of his career.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
LOL WTF? Talent does not equal speed.
Meh. Expected ignorant response. Where did I say it equals speed. Also, McGrath at his fastest was as fast as Srinath, surprised you don't know that being such a big McGrath fan.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Why I feel Srinath and Gillespie were more talented than McGrath

McGrath didn't have that many special deliveries. Even when he bowled on the spot, he didn't trouble the batsmen like Srinath or Gillespie troubled the batsmen when they bowled on the spot.

McGrath was always an accurate bowler but as time went on and his speed reduced, he improved his accuracy, also limiting the types of deliveries he bowled. He did all this with great discipline. I would call Allan Donald and Curtly Ambrose as bowlers who were really that talented. McGrath was talented for sure but not a great deal when compared to other great bowlers of his generation or in one particular case, a mediocre bowler who didn't achieve his potential in Jawagal Srinath.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Just to show I am not talking bollocks, Srinath in matches won averages 20. McGrath averages 19. Not a huge difference though there is obviously great disparity in the number of tests they won. It does highlight that Srinath was not completely talentless.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Why I feel Srinath and Gillespie were more talented than McGrath

McGrath didn't have that many special deliveries. Even when he bowled on the spot, he didn't trouble the batsmen like Srinath or Gillespie troubled the batsmen when they bowled on the spot.

McGrath was always an accurate bowler but as time went on and his speed reduced, he improved his accuracy, also limiting the types of deliveries he bowled. He did all this with great discipline. I would call Allan Donald and Curtly Ambrose as bowlers who were really that talented. McGrath was talented for sure but not a great deal when compared to other great bowlers of his generation or in one particular case, a mediocre bowler who didn't achieve his potential in Jawagal Srinath.
I feel that the mistake you are making is confusing raw bowling skills with talent or potential. Srinath and Gillespie may have had a more troubling length delivery but the ability to land the ball on a spot, 6 times out of 6, is a far more valuable abilitiy, imo. Concentration, discipline and consistency are talents too; it is not as if Gillespie and Srinath lacked discipline or the effort to improve the mentality and consistency of their game, it just was not in their ability to do so to the level of Mcgrath.

Okay, that paragraph reads terribly, but what I am trying to say is that a 'dynamic' bowler who moves the ball a foot is not necessarily more talented to the one who bowls accurately and does not move the ball. This is because the biomechanics, concentration and discipline to do this can not always be achieved with practice and a feature of someone's bowling is only as valuable as the reward it brings, surely.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Just to show I am not talking bollocks, Srinath in matches won averages 20. McGrath averages 19. Not a huge difference though there is obviously great disparity in the number of tests they won. It does highlight that Srinath was not completely talentless.
No one would say that he was talentless, but he lacked a crucial ability to replicate his top form more often.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
So what you are saying Manee is essentially that the bowlers who average the least are the most talented? I don't agree with that. A lot of bowlers utilize their talent and some even outperform like a McGrath or a Steve Waugh (better example). Others underperform like Srinath.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
So what you are saying Manee is essentially that the bowlers who average the least are the most talented?

I don't agree with that. A lot of bowlers utilize their talent and some even outperform like a McGrath or a Steve Waugh (better example). Others underperform like Srinath.
Not necessarily, but most of the time, yes. I feel we are differing here though, as we regard talent as two different things. I believe you regard talent as raw physical ability, whereas I regard it as natural features which includes mental abilities and less tangible physical traits.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
When McGrath burst on to the scene in the mid 90s, he was quick enough and got a lot of wickets 'troubling the batsmen' with balls like his incutters because of a combination of trajectory and speed, both.
Yes, but the article notes that the same view was held of Mcgrath when he was timed and it came out at 140kph - showing that, as Michael Atherton once remarked, "the speed gun does not do him justice". I must note that this has little to do with the talent argument, but I found your quote that Mcgrath and Srinath was of similar pace, as inaccurate.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I believe you regard talent as raw physical ability, whereas I regard it as natural features which includes mental abilities and less tangible physical traits.

Nah, I include mental abilities and less tangible traits in talent. I don't think raw hardwork and 'being brainless' like Srinath was a lot of times can equate to talent or lack of talent though.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, I include mental abilities and less tangible traits in talent. I don't think raw hardwork and 'being brainless' like Srinath was a lot of times can equate to talent or lack of talent though.
I'm not sure what you mean by raw hardwork, whether Srinath was averse to it or was a hard worker himself. However, 'being brainless' would certainly equate to a lack of mental talent, imo.