• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Srikkanth panel’s surprise young India pick: his son

angad

U19 12th Man
Srikkanth panel’s surprise young India pick: his son
The BCCI’s senior selection committee, headed by former India opener Krishnamachari Srikkanth, has picked his son, Anirudha Srikkanth, as part of India’s Emerging Players squad which will play a series of three-day games in Australia next month.

The Tamil Nadu opener had a below average season last year, as his 251 runs from 9 innings didn’t even see him in the Top 50 Ranji Trophy run-getters. In the one-dayers, he was 27th on the list with 210 runs. He scored a couple of 50s for Tamil Nadu and one half-century for Chennai Super Kings at the IPL.

BCCI secretary N Srinivasan, who is also the convenor of the selection committee meeting, refused to comment on the issue. “I don’t speak on selection matters,” he said.

“All I can say is that there was a consensus on his selection,” said Srikkanth. Incidentally, this is the final year of the Srikkanth-led panel’s term.

But beyond the committee there were many who didn’t agree with the decision, as they named several players who surprisingly failed to make the cut despite having a far superior record than Anirudha.

“He shouldn’t have been there in a team that is to play three-day games. Anirudha’s style suits the T20 format, but even there he isn’t quite the top run-getter. Younger players with more potential have scored more than him,” said an official of a state unit whose player was overlooked.

Why Anirudha’s selection makes for an interesting debate is because most players in the 15-member side seem to have earned their call-up the hard way — with piles of runs in the 2010-11 Ranji Trophy.

Meanwhile, the selectors have left out the likes of Ishank Jaggi, a 22-year-old batsman from Jharkhand who scored 532 runs in the longer version and made 346 runs in one-dayers at an average of 57; Karnataka’s 24-year-old Amit Verma who made 652 runs; Baroda’s 21-year old Kedar Devdhar who was scored 499 runs; and Punjab’s 19-year-old batsman Mandeep Singh who scored 305 runs.
:@

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
He is a mediocre player at the very best.

Disgraceful this.
He keeps getting into the Challenger trophy and even the IPL for this reason.

Xuhaib

International Coach
atleast he won't get to play 30 odd tests like Imran farhat and Faisal Iqbal just on the basis of his connections.

angad

U19 12th Man
atleast he won't get to play 30 odd tests like Imran farhat and Faisal Iqbal just on the basis of his connections.
He wants his son to play atleast one international match, so that he can be eligible for the IPL auction (currently non International players have fixed price bracket) and cricket analyst on news channels. Lifetime investment.

Borges

International Regular
Absolutely disgusting. Without thinking, one can name a couple of dozen batsmen who are better than him.

He is the son of the chief selector, and plays for the Chennai IPL franchise, owned by the BCCI power-broker Srini. To complete the circle, the chairman of selectors is a paid employee of the Chennai team.

How could he not be selected? He qualifies thrice over.

This is the fundamental problem with the BCCI. That they happen to have an opinion on UDRS which is different from that held by members of the Cricket Web pissing team is insignificant in comparison.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
He wants his son to play atleast one international match, so that he can be eligible for the IPL auction (currently non International players have fixed price bracket) and cricket analyst on news channels. Lifetime investment.
Appalling if thats the intention.

Himannv

International Coach
This is the fundamental problem with the BCCI. That they happen to have an opinion on UDRS which is different from that held by members of the Cricket Web pissing team is insignificant in comparison.
Nonsense. Disagreeing with the Cricket Web pissing team is a far more serious offense punishable only by wearing your underwear outside your pants.

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
Yes,Anirudh Srikkant is no where near making it to India 'A'.He has a poor FC batting average & hasn't been that good with the CSK in IPL.Infact he should consider himself lucky that he got to play a few matches for CSK.

Borges

International Regular
... it is absolutely ridiculous that the board or someone else didn't even inform the selectors that the format has changed...
The claim is absolutely ridiculous because it is not even remotely credible.

The BCCI thinks, perhaps correctly, that they will receive less flak if the look asinine rather than nepotic.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Okay, while on the subject of nepotism, here's something I came across today that might explain why merit might not be enough for Badrinath to get a decent shot at that #6 spot in the Test lineup.

A lady named Poorna Patel happens to be Suresh Raina's current squeeze. They're betrothed to each other, if I understand correctly. This lady also happens to be on BFF terms ( I swear I'm not a teenage girl, its just the most appropriate term for their relationship :ph34r:) with Mrs Dhoni. Furthermore this lady also happens to be the daughter of a Mr Praful Patel, Minister for Heavy Industries and close buddy and fellow partyman of Mr Sharad Pawar.

Now, I'm not saying Raina isn't a good cricketer making the most of his chances, but if I were Badrinath, I wouldn't hope to receive anywhere near the number of opportunities certain other players get.