• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka Thread

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That would again mean our best bowler , who is extremely valuable in the middle overs betwen 20 and 40 in getting wickets (on average 2-3 wickets) being bowled at a time when he gets tonked (during Power play) and his valuable wicket taking ability is wasted, by him being changed into a run restricter as it happened during the VB series etc... and the folly of such a move was reversed after some smart thinking went into it.

I would say bowling Murali during Power Play would mean SL will struggle to get wickets when it matters because he would have got bowled out by the time batsmen start taking risks... and would get away with the other bowlers.
Well... don't bowl Murali in the PP. Even if you pick two spinners and 7 batsmen, you don't have to bowl Murali inside the PP - you can still bowl a combination of Vaas, Malinga, Jayasuriya and Dilshan. Your two legitimate spinners can then bowl overs 20-40.

Lostman

State Captain
The other problem with playing only 2 fast bowlers means that Malinga would have to bowl a lot of his overs within the first 20 overs. Malinga's best values is having him comming in around the 30 over with about 5-6 overs of his overs left and bowling his yorkers. That is how Jayawardena is captaining now as well, he usually gives malinga a short spell of about 3-4 overs at the start of the innings and then brings on the 3rd seamer.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
South Africa coming off a loss to Australia, and with 2 less points , would be desperate to get 2 points here . SL will struggle to contain them . Toss and how the pitch plays will be crucial. It could be a Duckworth Lewis result and this time they may favour SA, IMO.

I would hope that SL will play Marvan Atapattu over Arnold and leave the rest of the team unchanged, despite the big temptation to play Bandara. SL cannot afford to play 1 less batsman, IMO a recipe for disaster.

Lostman

State Captain
mahela didnt even do a decent job of captaining today, this guy should just retire from ODI's after this WC.:dry:

Isura

U19 Captain
I agree that Atapattu for Arnold would be best. Arnold doesn't score quickly enough for a 7, and he doesn't bowl. Play him at 3, and take the pressure off of Mahela for having to play patiently and build the innings. Mahela plays best when he can right away start pushing singles and playing some shots. Also, SL are more likely to be 60/1 after 10 than 40/1 after 12, so Marvan can settle in and play his game. Chamara at 6, followed by Dilshan. These two seem to push each other well, score quickly, and run very well between wickets. Bowling, I would keep the same. Maharoof's batting is too valuable IMO. With the trend in this world cup, big scores and chasing big scores is going to be crucial, so being 9 deep with hitters is going to be important.

Davey

School Boy/Girl Captain
at least ARnold got to 60, you say he doesnt score fast enough? atapattu is even slower!! and he wont even get the runs he will just get out wasting balls!

JBH001

International Regular
Hell of a result today - and rather unexpected when I went off for work with SA at 2 down for 130 odd. Kudos to Murali and especially Malinga.

But we did not deserve it. I am also a little disappointed by Mahela's captaincy, he has generally had a higher standard than that in his time as SL captaincy. One can only presume that he had an off day at the office - though the other option that SL had more or less given up after their innings is more worrying. I only hope that this was not the case, playing for NRR as they may have been doing would have been extremely negative, and unusual too - considering the way SL have been playing of late. It is also a little presumptuous to think that wins against WI and England are there for the taking - as anything can happen on the day. Though I do not think that SL can beat Australia, they are looking increasingly unbeatable except perhaps by SA or NZ.

In regards to batting order, it would be difficult to drop Arnold as he has scored runs in his innings and twice has done so when it mattered - not to mention the asset that his fielding brings to the side. However, Mahela's continued lack of poor form is a concern and dropping him down the order to 6 to protect him might be the best option, which may mean Marvan returning at 3 and Arnold unfortunately dropping out of the side.

In this case, I would favour the following line-up

3. Marvan
4. Sanga
5. Mahela
6. Chamara
7. Dilshan

but I doubt it will happen, because I think Mahela wants to bat at 3.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree SL lost this game which was there to be won, because of poor captaincy by Mahela. On an uncertain newly laid pitch notorious for low scoring in previous Trial games (by local teams) it was pretty stupid to bat first, unless you wanted to give SA a leg up even before the game started.... Could not fathom that decision....and how he let SA off the hook without attacking early ie when Kallis and Smith were batting together....

Strange decisions to take Murali on and off randomly.... Very confusing captaincy...

Atapattu should've played given his better record against SA than others... I would've played him instead of Arnold or even Tharanga..... And Maharoof only knows one way to bat ...Pretty dumb to try and slog the first ball you face given the nature of this pitch...

Malinga's last burst was a real bonus... I watched the ball that went passed Peterson's stump and it was only a coat of Varnish that separated the ball knocking the stump. absolutely close...I agree SL did not deserve to win, but the way the SA nearly choked at the end , neither did they ...:dry:

Anyway this game will long be remembered for 1 thing and 1 thing only ...the Malinga magic ..... Unbelievable.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When I left home today, the game looked pretty much dead and buried with South Africa around 110/2, unbeleivable that Malinga could do what he did to bring Sri Lanka back into the game, especially considering how poor he had been earlier.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SL has landed itself in an absolute corner now, given the group win was against Bang and every team bar Ireland will expect to beat Bang (as well as boost their NRR) , SL will struggle from hereon.

SL will need to win the 3 games coming up against West Indies, England and NZ , given they are dead certain to be beaten by the Aussies .(For that matter I can't see anyone beating Australia except NZ)

A loss in any one of these 3 games means SL will definitely not get to the Semis....But I guess as Mahela said to Malinga after his 4 wicket burst ..."we did not deserve to get this far......":mellow: :blink:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
When I left home today, the game looked pretty much dead and buried with South Africa around 110/2, unbeleivable that Malinga could do what he did to bring Sri Lanka back into the game, especially considering how poor he had been earlier.
Mahela's captaincy was pretty poor , IMO ....He let SA cruise along to 130's without much hassle and failed to attack early on with his poor bowling changes, field placements etc..

Malinga is the best death bowler there is at this World Cup, TBH .

Davey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Malinga really makes a name for himself as a test bowler but im suprised to see how well he does in the ODI's however he is still very expensive ...

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Malinga really makes a name for himself as a test bowler but im suprised to see how well he does in the ODI's however he is still very expensive ...
His Main role should be to bowl at the death . If they can get 2-3 overs from him at the start - that would be enough , he should then be kept on reserve till the 40th over, IMO.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
the even more strange aspect to this match was that before Malinga's 4 wicket burst , Murali had been on a hat trick after dismissing Gibbs and Boucher off successive balls, only for Kemp to deny him the Hat trick.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I hope Atapattu plays in tomorrows game along with possibly Fernando instead of Maharoof and Arnold.

pup11

International Coach
Attapatu should play but atm he can only get into the team for Jayawardene, but can't see the captain getting dropped.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Attapatu should play but atm he can only get into the team for Jayawardene, but can't see the captain getting dropped.
No he should come in place of Arnold, IMO . He can then bat at 3 and strengthen the top of the batting order. Arnold is not a match winner .. his 40's and 50s don't really help SL win any games... if anything his contributions usually come in games when SL are dead set to lose or already behind the run rate...etc.

He is expendable , Atapattu can make the difference... its better the change is done now than later on in the World Cup when its already too late...

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jayawardene really is quite a poor ODI player, his record is very average for a batsman of his class. Reminds me more and more of Younis Khan every time I look at his stats really, I think it may have been a mistake making him captain of the ODI side. Sangakarra would be a far better choice IMO, he is guarranteed of a spot and has all the leadership skills.