• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka Thread

Lostman

State Captain
No he should come in place of Arnold, IMO . He can then bat at 3 and strengthen the top of the batting order. Arnold is not a match winner .. his 40's and 50s don't really help SL win any games... if anything his contributions usually come in games when SL are dead set to lose or already behind the run rate...etc.
Exactly Arnold has some really good numbers in the last 6 months, but they are all for nothing, most of his runs have some in games that SL have lost. Mahela better do something useful tomorrow, his field placings and choice of bowlers in the South African game were horrible, not to mention his batting as usual was just pathetic. For someone that insists of comming in at number 3 all he does is kill the momentum with his 30 ball 10's. (This is bringing back bad memories of the last WC where we had hashan batting at #3)

Swervy

International Captain
I cant beleive the negativity on here regarding Sri lanka. Despite losing to South Africa, I think Sri lanka are playing as good as anyone in the tournament at the moment. They have all the tools to win the whole thing.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They do, but they have two or three very noticeably weak links that are underperforming at the moment. Thankfully the rest of the team has papered over the cracks and it hasn't been a major concern so far.

Swervy

International Captain
They do, but they have two or three very noticeably weak links that are underperforming at the moment. Thankfully the rest of the team has papered over the cracks and it hasn't been a major concern so far.
every team has weaker points. To be honest I dont really see SL to have many weaker points.

The batting is deep and scores quickly, they are very good in the field, they have the best spinner in the world, they have an opening bowler who is emerging quickly into one of the most dangerous in the world, the bowling has options all over the place, the pitches seem to suit their playing style...and so on.

The measure of pretty much every team in history isnt so much how strong the team is, its how well they do manage to 'hide' the cracks. Occassionally, the cracks show with every team that has probably played the game at international level, the West Indies of 70s and 80s had weaknesses, but what they did well was play well enough in other areas so the opposition couldnt expose teh weaknesses. Sri Lanka have played well enough in most areas so the weaknesses are so important.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What I meant by these weaknesses were things like Mahela Jayawardene's lack of runs which has been of concern in this tournament so far. Fortunately for me, the batsmen surrounding him have all been scoring runs fairly consistently so his poor form hasn't been exposed too much by the opposition. Equally the same can be said of the third seamer, whether that be Maharoof or Fernando who are both threatening on their day but can leak runs when they aren't getting it right.

I agree with you when you said that every team had weaknesses, however these weaknesses should still be of concern to team management and they need to try and fix these problems.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
They can try and hide the cracks as much as they want , but quality Teams expose those cracks ... as South Africa did the other day and one suspects NZ and Australia will too come their turn ... SO SL will need to win all the other games to have any hope of getting further in this tournament... But one feels tonight they will struggle against a very desperate West Indian team which will need to perform under extreme pressure from local media, their own selector (Andy Roberts) and their own fans ... who may not forgive them if they do badly today....

Lostman

State Captain
Got to give mahela credit for his innings today. Battled for a really long time but finally got some runs and spent time in the middle.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree. He was lucky a few times too. But his application was commendable even though it was slow at the start, he complimented Jayasuriya well.

Now the problem seems to be Tharanga .... I still standby my call re Atapattu be re-instated at 3 and Arnold be dropped at least for the next 2-3 games... Because I feel Atapattu can offer more than Arnold, IMO.

Davey

School Boy/Girl Captain
yes Tharanga must become the new Jayasuria! (even though they play differently)

damn, wish we won the SA game too, we would've been right on the top of the table !

Galactic_Soap

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
That was a great effort by Sri Lanka…to bounce back after the South Africa game shows class, and determination. Its imperative that the momentum which has been generated from the tail end of the South African innings and the Windies game continues to be built on for the game against England.

Like the rest of the comments in the thread I feel its timely for both Mahela and Sri Lanka that he’s back in form, he’s clearly a player who feeds on self confidence and I can’t help but feel it was his own personal form that hindered his natural instincts in the field against the Saffers. That’s all in the past, and the 80 odd against a very capable attack in unfavourable conditions should do said confidence the world of good. Alas, I don’t feel we (Sri Lanka) can go past the semis with New Zealand and Australia looking incredibly strong but if we can keep on doing what where doing as well as where doing it (if that makes sense :P) then we are a chance.

Upuls string of low scores is a concern, and another failure against England will surely mean that a fair and interesting question will have to be posed to the leadership team, namely, Marvin vs Upul. I for one, would get Marvin in after the England game, knee jerk reaction or not you can’t fault 260+ games and 8000+ runs IMHO.

Like every other non Aussie backer on this site our toughest test will be against the class of Australia, but if things keep on going to plan our matchup against the black caps is looking deliciously insomnia inducing…

JBH001

International Regular
^^

Nice well-written post dude.

Anyway, I have to concur with some of the opinions here in that experimentation in the match against England is not the place to do it. I am well aware that SL look the better side, but in an ODI comp (as everyone knows) on the day anything can happen. Let us hope that SL does not have the hubris to tempt fate by not playing their best XI.

At this stage I would presume that XI would include Upul who despite having a poor run of late has done well against England in the past (however, I can also see a case for re-uniting the old firm of Sanath and Marvan at the top of the order and if that goes well then giving this pair an extended run at the top of the order). I do not think though, and here I have to disagree with Jason (as much as I usually respect his opinion) that Arnold should be dropped in place of Marvan. Arnold has done well with the bat when he has been asked to do so - both times against good opposition, he bats well with Dilshan, his bowling is an option, and he does well in the field. Therefore he should stay in.

In the same vein I do not think that Murali should be out in place of Bandara. The match against England is too important to rest Murali, and if any subbing is to happen, the best place to do it (albeit not wholesale) would be in the game against Ireland. Dilhara has, furthermore, been bowling quite well and though his batting is not in the same league as Maharoof - I think his bowling potency offsets the inconsistent batting of Maharoof.

Therefore my preferred XI against England (which I see as another must win because I think the chances of SL beating Aus and NZ are quite low) is:

1. Marvan/Upul
2. Sanath
3. Sanga
4. Mahala
5. Chamara
6. Dilshan
7. Russel
8. Chaminda
9. Dilhara
10. Malinga
11. Murali

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
^^

Therefore my preferred XI against England (which I see as another must win because I think the chances of SL beating Aus and NZ are quite low) is:

1. Marvan/Upul
2. Sanath
3. Sanga
4. Mahala
5. Chamara
6. Dilshan
7. Russel
8. Chaminda
9. Dilhara
10. Malinga
11. Murali
Why? Sri Lanka gave New Zealand a good fight away from home just recently and given New Zealand do not play either Murali or real pace bowling that ‘well’, Sri Lanka will start as favourites for mine. Especially given the conditions we have seen thus far.

JBH001

International Regular
Except that NZ are playing far better now than when SL toured.

The bowlers are firing better, Bond has stepped up significantly and I think will ask questions of the SL top order. The batting, meanwhile, is more cohesive and I think will be less likely to bow to Murali - Fleming for instance has always done well against Murali.

I also think the NZ is more cohesive and less fragile. The SL team is strong, dont get me wrong, but I think there is a fragility about them that the BC are lacking.

Galactic_Soap

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
JBH001 said:
Except that NZ are playing far better now than when SL toured.
I have to agree, with performance in any major tournament being as much about momentum as it is about skill, one would have to think that the self belief and momentum generated from the Chaple Hadlee series is priceless given the way the black caps are going about their work of late.

JBH001 said:
The bowlers are firing better, Bond has stepped up significantly and I think will ask questions of the SL top order. The batting, meanwhile, is more cohesive and I think will be less likely to bow to Murali - Fleming for instance has always done well against Murali.
Again, spot on. I feel that Bond will pose some serious questions to the Sri Lankan top order, a rampaging Sanath is all well and good, but I can't help but feel that Bond moving the ball at pace will be a touch too much for our players to handle.

While Mahela's back in abit of form, I still feel he's offside play isn't as tight and compact as it should be, if we were to loose one of our openers early, I feel Mahela wouldn't be too far behind them when coming up against Bond in the form he's in of late. Another argument for Marvins inclusion would be the way he plays against quality pace bowling, given his technique I feel he would be the best defence we could put up against Bond at the moment.

JBH001 said:
I also think the NZ is more cohesive and less fragile. The SL team is strong, don’t get me wrong, but I think there is a fragility about them that the BC are lacking.
I agree, the Black Caps aren't going to let their last 4 wickets go for 1 one run regardless of the situation they find themselves in. That to me is the final bit of growth and development we need to achieve to be truly competitive. Smart cricket intelligent cricket needs to go right through the team, where nearly there, I feel the Black Caps have a better grasp of it though...

Either way its going to be an absolute cracker of a game...

woody73

Cricket Spectator
I'll back Maharoof even though most people don't rate him. He can do a containing job and can score some vital runs down the order. For the other spot i personally rather then give Bandara the 4th bowler spot, but that unlikely, so i hope Ruchira can find some fitness and produce the form he should in Australia. If not i'll give Zoysa another run, for me Dilhara is a waste of space, nothing more, nothing less.

Your thoughts?
I selected Maharoof in my fantasy team in the world cup. He seems to have been overlooked for the last game against WI for fernando. Anyone know why? Is he injured or just out of favour? Why can't they just settle on a team already!:@

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
I think I've been taking this competition a bit too seriously -- I even dreamt about it last night!

Bond was ripping through the SL top order, and we were something like 40/5. Then Bond came back for a second spell and ripped a few more out :(

shortpitched713

International Captain
What are the chances of Sri Lanka advancing if they beat England but lose to New Zealand? JASON was making it seem next to zero, but I feel it is quite probable that that is what will happen.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
What are the chances of Sri Lanka advancing if they beat England but lose to New Zealand? JASON was making it seem next to zero, but I feel it is quite probable that that is what will happen.
If SL beat England and lose to NZ (and given they are not likely to beat Australia as well) they would end with 3 losses and 4 wins giving them 8 points. It is possible in that situation SL will be competing for the 4th spot with West Indies (who may win their remaining three) and England.... But IF SL beat England tomorrow (my time) SL will probably go through -having beaten the 2 teams (England and WI ) but if by some chance 4 teams end up on same points it goes to run rates and who knows what... So it will be touch and go ... Especially if by this calculation (WI have to beat SA then SA will very likely also end up on 8 points -as then you would expect NZ to beat them too...)

Fairly difficult to predict ... but the you rely on other Teams losing or getting lower run rates and the hand of God...:)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with JBH above with regard to NZ s form... When SL drew 2-2 Fleming was struggling to find form, Bracewell was experimenting, and various players (Astle/James Marshall, Andre Adams etc.. came and went ...)

They are totally different side today. Fleming is in fine form again, Their bowling atack is arguably the most complete attack in this World Cup (Bond/Oram/Styris/ Vettori +/- Mason ) and they are coming after recently drubbing Australia 3-0 ....

True they have been weakened slightly by Vincent's loss, but they are giant killers ATM and IMO the only side that can beat even the Aussies... SO SL , IMO will struggle to beat them (and Australia).

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
If anything today's game only proved my point with regard to fragility of Sri Lanka's top order and the poor contribution by the lower order during the slog overs 40 to 50.

SL need Atapattu badly IMO at 3 to strengthen the top of the order , as SL have now made it a habit of losing ealy wickets and get clogged and resultantly fail to capitalise on scoring during the Power Plays. This will only become very notable when they play Australia and NZ whose bowlers are capable of destroying the top order quite easily.

Playing Atapattu also means Chamara Silva and Dilshan will be coming in after overs 40 and help beef up the scoring in this period (overs 40-50).

Unlike England and South Africa , SL's low 200 scores will definitely not trouble NZ and Australia . SL selectors need to wake up to this fact sooner rather than later , because SL need to win one of those 2 games to be certain of making the Semis.