• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka Thread

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Atapattu hasn't done a bad job at 5 since his comeback. He started off as a middle order batsmen, so really there is nothing wrong with im down the order. With Silva and Dilshan in the side we do have players who can go up the order if we need quicker runs.

JBH001

International Regular
Fair enough - just read some of the other comments regarding Arnold too.
If he has not been in good enough nick, then Marvan should slot in.

He does have to be at least at 5 though, certainly no lower. In which case Mahela can bat 3, Sanga at 4, Marvan at 5, and Chamara and Dilshan at 6 & 7 respectively.

Actually, that is a much stronger batting line-up. _b

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Atapattu averages 40 at No 5, on par or better then when he open or batted at 3. Arnold been in very good form in OD Domestic Cricket, but the other 7 batsmen are better options.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree with the side Jason, except for maybe Arnold in place of Atapattu. Isn't Marvan wasted that far down the order? He needs to come in higher if he is to play at all, imo.
I reckon Arnold would be a better bet, though this is dependant on his form - iirc he has not played all that much in recent times. Also, Mahela needs to come in at 3 not at 5 and so needs to swap with Chamara - unless you want to protect Mahela from the new ball? If so, I disagree with that decision.

So I would have:

Sanath
Upul
Mahela
Kumar
Chamara
Dilshan
Russell
Farveez
Chaminda
Lasith
Murali

Pity we cant watch it here in NZ, eh Jason?
Damn, I hope we win....and win well.

That's the pathetic aspect of Sky's coverage. They have missed out on showing the World Cup's huge upsets in Bangladesh v India and Pak v Ireland...

And Now Bang v SL is a huge game for that group and they are not going to show it.

The soccer equivalent would be like if Ivory Coast beat Italy in a group match but Sky did not show it becuase they did not expect an upset .... Dumb... (that's the India v Bang's equivalent in soccer terms, IMO)

I have to disagree with you there about picking Arnold over Atapattu though ...Atapattu wherever he bats is a definite better option than Arnold in my opinion.

rpcfernando

Cricket Spectator
After few years Anold in good form he is a match winner Look at his old Game before compare with others when he in good form he is deadly dengerous

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I'd go with:

1) Jayasuriya
2) Tharanga
3) Jayawardene
4) Sangakkara
5) de Silva
6) Dilshan
7) Arnold
8) Maharoof
9) Vaas
10) Murali
11) Malinga

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd go with:

1) Jayasuriya
2) Tharanga
3) Jayawardene
4) Sangakkara
5) de Silva
6) Dilshan
7) Arnold
8) Maharoof
9) Vaas
10) Murali
11) Malinga
Aaaahhhhh... if only. :happy::happy::happy:

Sadly, the most wondrous batsman to walk this planet retired 4 years ago and I'd guess the more likely candidate for said slot would be a youngish man who has a very similar surname.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SL in danger of getting kicked out of World Cup.

If SL lose tomorrow, that risk looms large.

Even if SL win against Bangladesh, If Bangladesh pulls off a big win against Bermuda or a Net Run rate boosting win, while SL lose to India , SL will get kicked and India and Bangladesh will still go through to Super 8s.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
For instance Bangladesh , if they win by 300 runs plus against Bermuda (lets say 350 in 50 overs and Bermuda are all out 50) then Bang will go thru....

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
If it comes down to NRR Bangladesh are the most likely to go out TBH. The likelyhood of them beating Bermuda by 200 plus runs is very low. Yes they are improving rapidly, but how many scores of 300 plus have they made in ODIs. Also you just have remember how well we played last time when we had to beat Bangladesh to make it into the next round of Champions Trophy.

Most losses against team like Bangladesh have happened in the World Cup, when teams have known they got a 2nd chance or already into the next round. Sri Lanka will known its pretty much do or die, also the extra points in the next round will come in very handy. A lot to play for, i can't see us losing.

JBH001

International Regular
Aaaahhhhh... if only. :happy::happy::happy:

Sadly, the most wondrous batsman to walk this planet retired 4 years ago and I'd guess the more likely candidate for said slot would be a youngish man who has a very similar surname.

I did not know you were such a big fan of the great Ara', Richard! :)

JBH001

International Regular
If it comes down to NRR Bangladesh are the most likely to go out TBH. The likelyhood of them beating Bermuda by 200 plus runs is very low. Yes they are improving rapidly, but how many scores of 300 plus have they made in ODIs. Also you just have remember how well we played last time when we had to beat Bangladesh to make it into the next round of Champions Trophy.

Most losses against team like Bangladesh have happened in the World Cup, when teams have known they got a 2nd chance or already into the next round. Sri Lanka will known its pretty much do or die, also the extra points in the next round will come in very handy. A lot to play for, i can't see us losing.
Dude, no offense, But you are way too overconfident.

I really hope you are not jinxing us...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I did not know you were such a big fan of the great Ara', Richard! :)
God, yeah. My fave batsman of all-time. With daylight 2nd, TBH.

BTW - you're plainly a Lankan, when I'd always assumed you to be a Kiwi. :wacko: What's the story there, if you don't mind me asking?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Dude, no offense, But you are way too overconfident.

I really hope you are not jinxing us...
I thought that was one of my least over confident posts TBH. :ph34r:

I know that we have to play some brilliant cricket in the next two games to beat either Bangladesh or India but i'll always back to the boys to perform. I know like everyone beating Bangladesh and India not going to be easy, but if we play to our potential i can't see anyone either of them beating us. That might be over confident, but you got to back the boys here. The strength of our '96 side was the feeling that nothing was impossible. There nothing wrong with back your countymen, as long as you don't have this follish belief that your unbeatable.

JBH001

International Regular
God, yeah. My fave batsman of all-time. With daylight 2nd, TBH.

BTW - you're plainly a Lankan, when I'd always assumed you to be a Kiwi. :wacko: What's the story there, if you don't mind me asking?
Its called migration, Richard! :)

Yeah man, moved over here quite a while ago and now call myself a New Zealander when asked about origin and stuff. I still support the Sri Lankan cricket team though - for a while there (recently that is) I was unsure who I should support when it comes to SL vs NZ matches, but when I watched the Lankans play at Eden Park recently it was SL all the way. It was great watching Jaya bash the ball around, and I derived a near sadistic delight in seeing NZ bowled out for 73! :D

I guess it is one way of staying in touch with the former homeland. :)

In the WC though I am supporting the BC and the Lankans, but if it came to a showdown between the two I would support SL - but I will be expecting my kids, when and if I have any, to support NZ all the way when their turn comes.

Last edited:

apuraja

Cricket Spectator
big congrats to lankan lions for showing the mighty paper tigers the door

even though jayavardane hasn't been in the best of touch with the bat, i think he is becoming a sharp ODI captain ..

i still feel lankans would be slight underdogs versus RSA/AUS but i love the way they play so all my support now with the lankans :))

go malinga!!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
What a great Win, spent the night watching it and went to sleep at 9:30 Am - very happy for Sri Lanka, but somewhat sad and disappointed for India.

I will be hoping that Bermuda beats Bangladesh. India is without doubt a quality Team, they seem to have had 2 bad days at the wrong time.

Dravid as John Wright keeps pointing out should bat at 3 .

Anyway, SL's old timers (Sanath, Mahela, Sanga) left early leaving it for Tharanga and Chamara to perform a beautiful recovery assisted by Dilshan and Arnold.

I was a bit perturbed by Muralis exuberance somewhat rubbing it into the disappointed Indian Fans.

But he took the key wicket of Sehwag, when India looked reasonably cruising at 3/98 .

His catches were brilliant too.

Amused at Murali's press conference when asked the reason for his celebration after taking the catches and he said he was making a point to his coach (Tom Moody) that he is good enough to field in the inner circle ( as he had been advised by Tom to field in the Outfield because he was not good enough in the inner circle...:laugh: )

IMO the Man of the Match should've been Tharanga .