• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka Thread

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I hope SL continue to improve through the Super 8s and this Match does not turn out to be the highlight of Sri Lanka's World Cup.:mellow:

They are likely to face 4 of the toughest Teams in Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and West Indies in Super 8.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
i loved the jig, almost monty like.:laugh:
I agree, it did show his exuberant personality, but it was a bit over the top in that you feel sorry for the disappointed Indian Fans being irritated by Murali's little performance.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
A couple more wins and we are in the semi boys. Man we are playing some good cricket, bring on the Aussie, South Africans and West Indians we got your measure.

What your thoughts guys on Atapattu, should we bring him back in or are the other guys playing too well to be dropped. Personally I think with the way Silva batting his cemented the No. 5 spot. And well we can't bat Atapattu 6 or 7, also Arnold and Dilshan are a lot better fielders and their bowling comes in handy.

What about Maharoof and Dilhara, watching Dilhara bowl this morning i think that the best i've seen him bowl in about 4 years. He bowled with some real heat, but still lacks a lot of accuracy. Maharoof is probably the closest thing we have to a lower order hitter. Silva, Dilshan, Arnold and Vaas did ok but we need a six hitter down there. I think it might cost us in a future game if we can't score 100 plus of the last 10. Not saying Maharoof is the answer to this problem, but he could do a job with the batsmen at the other end.

Davey

School Boy/Girl Captain
so has Maharoof picked up a serious knock or what?

hope he is ok for our next game!

Btw how good was Malinga's over to get rid of Agarkar was it? got him nice and soft with the bouncers and then he went for a big shot :D

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I would push Chamara Silva to 4 and mahela to 5 . I still think Atapattu is and will always be more valuable than Arnold (despite his fielding).

Maharoof is useful as a lower order pinch hitter, and that would favour his selection over Dilhara, but some piches may dictate Dilhara over Maha roof.

dinu23

International Debutant
i think maharoof should be in the team what ever the conditions are. he's a good lower order batter and his bowling is better than dilharas.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
If the pitch offers a bit of extra pace and bounce i would probably go for Dilhara (well the one that bowled this morning). If he can bowl like that more regularly he offers something extra to the team, that we have never had before. Two out and out quicks, rather then a bunch of medium pacers.

I think Chamara Silva has always been a better lower middle order batsmen then higher middle. When he played for SSC and the internationals were away and he batted at 3 or 4, he struggled heaps. When he moved clubs and started batting at 5 and 6 he couldn't stop scoring runs. When he made it back into the Sri Lanka A side he batted at 5 and 6. His scored all his runs since his recall at 5-7, i don't think it would be the best move to get him up the order regardless of his form and Jayawardene lack of form. One option would be to play Atapattu at 3 and drop Arnold and have Jayawardene at 6.

Davey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Maharoof can hold a bat though, and Fernando hasnt had much game time it was pretty obvious from that last over he had, cramping up like that

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
great to see dilshan and arnold contributing under pressure :) and LPC silva hw close will he be to PA de silva? very good talent

Lostman

State Captain
I believe SL's next game in the S8 is against SA, i would be soooo tempted to play bandara at the expense of Arnold. I dont have his numbers, but against SA he always seem to bowl well. hopefully maharoof will be fit enough to replace fernando as well. The chances of Fernando having two decent back to back games is close to zero.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I believe SL's next game in the S8 is against SA, i would be soooo tempted to play bandara at the expense of Arnold. I dont have his numbers, but against SA he always seem to bowl well. hopefully maharoof will be fit enough to replace fernando as well. The chances of Fernando having two decent back to back games is close to zero.
I agree Bandara did bowl well against SA in the VB series, but this game is in Guyana (Providence Stadium, Guyana - new Venues for Super 8) and SL need extra batsman particularly against SA. Too risky to drop a batsman.

I would be tempted as Chaminda has said to play Atapattu at 3 Sanga 4 Chamara 5 Mahela 6 Dilshan 7 and drop Arnold for this one. Bowling wise I think Maharoof should play complementing Malinga/Vaas/Murali.

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
toatly agree! Fernadno he prob will do well after another rest and Banda was great in the VB series vs saf

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
If Maharoof is out for the next game, i would go for Bandara his record against South Africa is 2nd to none, maybe Murali. Yeah i do agree with Fernando inability to have two good games in a row and we can't afford to drop a batsmen.

Lostman

State Captain
If Maharoof is out for the next game, i would go for Bandara his record against South Africa is 2nd to none, maybe Murali. Yeah i do agree with Fernando inability to have two good games in a row and we can't afford to drop a batsmen.
i really dont think we can play ODI's anymore with less than 3 fast bowlers, spinners are easy to hit in PP and inthese small grounds it is just going to be that much easier. So really speaking it is going to come down to whether we play the extra batsmen or the 5th bowler. If Maharoof is fit i think we can afford to drop Arnold, Maharoof>Arnold as a number 7 batsmen, in my opinion anyway.

Bandara's stats vs South Africa
Games-4
Wickets-9
Econ-3.98
Average-12.11
SR-18.2

I just looked up the numbers it would be crazy not to play this guy! plus brad hogg was confusing the South Africans today as well, Hoggs econ was almost 6 but in that match that was good. Bandara also has the advantage of playing alongside Murali. Bandara is also a decent lower order bat.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I don't really see any big problem with Jayasuriya and Murali bowling in the power plays. I think they will do as good as the seamers really.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't really see any big problem with Jayasuriya and Murali bowling in the power plays. I think they will do as good as the seamers really.
I always thought it'd be interesting to give Dilshan the new ball. Don't even really know why to be honest, but I have a feeling he'd do a good job opening the bowling in ODIs.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It was good to see Dilhara Fernando finally bowling with some intensity and pace in the game against India the other day, first time I had actually seen him looking like he had any penetration and was regularly getting over the 140 kph barrier which was impressive. Been good to see Chamara Silva developing as an ODI player and has been on fire, a century and three fifties in his last four innings, striking at around a run a ball aswell.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I think it would be very foolhardy to go into a World Cup Match with just 2 seamers ....and we could get spanked if the pitch is seamer friendly as it may well do against SA if the game is moved to Queens Park Oval .

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
That would again mean our best bowler , who is extremely valuable in the middle overs betwen 20 and 40 in getting wickets (on average 2-3 wickets) being bowled at a time when he gets tonked (during Power play) and his valuable wicket taking ability is wasted, by him being changed into a run restricter as it happened during the VB series etc... and the folly of such a move was reversed after some smart thinking went into it.

I would say bowling Murali during Power Play would mean SL will struggle to get wickets when it matters because he would have got bowled out by the time batsmen start taking risks... and would get away with the other bowlers.