• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka Thread

Beleg

International Regular
Jason,

Sri Lankan top order isn't fragile. They were 160/2 after 35 overs, the only problem being the rate at which Tharanga was scoring. Even in my wildest dreams, I can't concieve of Attapatu scoring at a faster clip than Tharanga. In summation, I think you are speaking total tosh.

Sri Lanka's problem is the lack of fire power in the lower-middle order. The likes of Dilshan and Silva aren't going to get you over eighty in the last ten regularly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's why Maharoof's inclusion is so preferable, TBH - but can't see him getting another game now barring injury.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
That's why Maharoof's inclusion is so preferable, TBH - but can't see him getting another game now barring injury.
Dilhara's bowling well enough to keep his place, but we really need some slogging down the order.

I'd suggest dropping Arnold, but he's not done anything wrong...and he's a very useful player to have around in case SL end up 50/4. Same with Dilshan.

Lostman

State Captain
SL weakness was always going to be there lower order batting, and as much as i would like for Maharoof to replace Arnold, the way that the team is playing i dont think there are going to be anymore changes to the playing XI. We will only go as far as our bowling can carry us in this tournament. Slightly worried that we havnt chased yet.

The most worrying factor in this tournament is that Ranjith Fernando is now "the voice of Sri lankan Cricket" :laugh: This guy manages to get in the commetary box at the most interesting times, and continues to butcher everything he talks about.

Good idea for a drinking game though everytime he says "it would seems as...". Would lose half my liver by the lunch break.:laugh:

Last edited:

JBH001

International Regular
Ahahaha! Yes, Ranjit is not the best - but tbh, I really dont mind him. Quality commentary on the TV is a pretty rare beast anyways.

I have to agree with some of the comments about the SL side. It is, more or less, a settled side and I have to disagree with Jason's continued push for Marvan. I do not see who you could drop - Arnold has done nothing wrong and scored 2 50s in difficult circumstances. Chamara and Dilshan (though not smashers) are quick between wickets and in the field. Dilhara's bowling makes up for Maharoof's inconsistent batting. Basically what needs to happen is for a member of the top and middle order to be there at the end to partner the lower order during orders 40 - 50. That is the only way I can see SL getting enough runs. A settled top/middle order bat at the crease during the slog overs and a decent effort from the lower order.

(Oh, and Sanga needs to get some runs under his belt - quick. Glad Mahela has found some form at last, though. Go Sri Lanka!)

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SL weakness was always going to be there lower order batting, and as much as i would like for Maharoof to replace Arnold, the way that the team is playing i dont think there are going to be anymore changes to the playing XI. We will only go as far as our bowling can carry us in this tournament. Slightly worried that we havnt chased yet.

The most worrying factor in this tournament is that Ranjith Fernando is now "the voice of Sri lankan Cricket" :laugh: This guy manages to get in the commetary box at the most interesting times, and continues to butcher everything he talks about.

Good idea for a drinking game though everytime he says "it would seems as...". Would lose half my liver by the lunch break.:laugh:
Agree with you about Ranjith Fernando ...:laugh:

the classic one was the last ball from Dilhara to Bopara ...and Ranjith said " goodness he has hit it for 4 or ...(something similar and then retracted with ) or no he's bowled him":laugh:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Jason,

Sri Lankan top order isn't fragile. They were 160/2 after 35 overs, the only problem being the rate at which Tharanga was scoring. Even in my wildest dreams, I can't concieve of Attapatu scoring at a faster clip than Tharanga. In summation, I think you are speaking total tosh.

Sri Lanka's problem is the lack of fire power in the lower-middle order. The likes of Dilshan and Silva aren't going to get you over eighty in the last ten regularly.
I haven't suggested Atapattu should come in place of Tharanga. I want Atapattu at 3 when an early wicket falls (as Sanath J has been in every second game) to come in and play the long innings, holding one end which allows the other batsman a chance to go after the bowling and make maximum use of Power Play. SL in games v SA and England have failed to use the Power Plays fully (when usually in the past they would have got to a run rate of 6 or 7 during Powerplays which then makes it easy during the Middle overs to keep run rate going at 5- 6 ) and struggled at 3-4 run rate and made it a real hard graft through the Middle overs and an even bigger struggle to get over 240 in the last 10 overs.

Scores of 240 -250 (or less) against NZ and Australia will mean they would lose big against these 2 teams.

Silva and Dilshan can get 70 plus in the last 10 if there's already a platform to launch - say 190- 200 already and not 160 -170 or less with 5 down already and only Vaas and Arnold left .

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I still fail to see the logic behind Atapattu coming into the side to play an anchor role at first drop resulting in better use of the powerplays - of all things!

Atapattu striking at 55 doesn't automatically mean other batsmen are less likely to get out, or that they'll automatically start scoring run-a-ball 70s.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I still fail to see the logic behind Atapattu coming into the side to play an anchor role at first drop resulting in better use of the powerplays - of all things!

Atapattu striking at 55 doesn't automatically mean other batsmen are less likely to get out, or that they'll automatically start scoring run-a-ball 70s.
Atapattu strike rate 67 (not 55 ) average 37 . 11 ODI hundreds and 59 fifties... the guy can win matches ... And the high average is an indication of his consistency and ability to play longer innings. ( 8,500 plus runs in ODIs - please see Stats presented in Super 8 thread)

Atapattu most of his innings (or at least 80 percent of his innings as opener)

http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/srilanka/content/player/48124.html

compare with Arnold (whose innings have always been at numbers 5,6,7.
http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/srilanka/content/player/48122.html

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Atapattu strike rate 67 (not 55 ) average 37 . 11 ODI hundreds and 59 fifties... the guy can win matches ... And the high average is an indication of his consistency and ability to play longer innings. ( 8,500 plus runs in ODIs - please see Stats presented in Super 8 thread)
Ahh, yeah. I never denied any of that. I denied the logic behind playing him to make better use of the PowerPlay overs. It doesn't make any sense to me. As I said, him playing an anchor role doesn't make the other batsmen any less likely to get out, or automatically make them score more quickly.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Ahh, yeah. I never denied any of that. I denied the logic behind playing him to make better use of the PowerPlay overs. It doesn't make any sense to me. As I said, him playing an anchor role doesn't make the other batsmen any less likely to get out, or automatically make them score more quickly.
No , but it would give them an opportunity to attack the bowling during power plays taking some chances , knowing that Atapattu could be relied on to play the long innings at the other end.

Because the batting order would then look like

Sanath J
Tharanga
Atapattu
Sangakkara
Mahela
Chamara Silva
Dilshan
Vaas

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No , but it would give them an opportunity to attack the bowling during power plays taking some chances , knowing that Atapattu could be relied on to play the long innings at the other end.
But the very fact that Atapattu was there would cancel that out anyway. Plus, there's the fact that Atapattu doesn't score a ton every single time - there's every chance he could get out himself for a famous 12(40) effort.

Atapattu at 3 would have its advantages, but taking advantage of PowerPlay overs is definitely not one of them!

pup11

International Coach
Can't see Attapatu breaking into the current side unless there is an injury or someone losses form, Sri lankans would more or less like to have the same XI through the WC, but frankly speaking Attapatu can only come into team at expense of Silva [if he doesn't perform].

Arnold is their finisher so they won't really drop him for an anchor-man like Attapatu [IMO], which can disturb the whole combination and balance of the side.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
After the performance in the last match drop Vaas for Maharoof? :ph34r:
That would be the most disastrous thing SL can do. Vaas is our number 1 bowler , despite his performance v England...to drop him would be like killing the goose that lays the golden egg.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Its almost unthinkable that a SL team in a key match not playing Vaas.
If SL want to win in the semis/final they need more runs and don't need expensive bowlers. Consider SL's score in the last match, and also consider that Vaas didn't help on either fronts. I'm not suggesting that Vaas won't do well in the next two matches, but I am suggesting a course of action if SL continue to struggle getting satisfactory totals and Vaas continues to struggle with the ball.

Last edited: