• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka Premier League (SLPL)

jashan83

U19 Captain
so is there an auction? or do the 7 captains pick names out of a hat
Somerset Inc would decide which foreign players goes in which team keeping sides balanced. International players will also be divided. The teams will have local players from the province.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Possibly an auction. But what I understand is that alocation of non-capped domestic players would be a random one.

jashan83

U19 Captain
Possibly an auction. But what I understand is that alocation of non-capped domestic players would be a random one.
There is no auction. The teams are not franchise but the whole tournament is managed by Somerset Inc. All the players will be allocated Local, SL stars and International players. There will not be any pick. It is based on lines of PHL (Premier Hockey league) where ESPN along with IHF was the owner. They paid the foreign players themselves, allocated all the players to give teams a local taste and also a balance all the sides

jashan83

U19 Captain
SLPL to add two more provinces later

SLPL to add two more provinces later

Sri Lanka Cricket secretary Nishantha Ranatunga has said two more provinces will be added to the Sri Lanka Premier League after the first few seasons. Seven provinces will be a part of the first tournament, with the Rajarata and Sabaragamuwa provinces the only ones of Sri Lanka's nine not to have a team. Ranatunga said their exclusion would not last long.

"We merely wanted to limit the number of teams to ensure competitiveness," he told the Daily Mirror. "So far, we have had only five teams in our domestic provincial tournaments. We added North (Uthura) and East (Negenahira) for this first tournament, and as we progress with it in the next few seasons, we will add the other two provinces as well."

The first edition of the SLPL, which will be played over 18 days starting at the end of July this year, will see all its matches played at the R Premadasa Stadium in Colombo; this despite Sri Lanka having built two new stadiums, in Pallekele and Hambantota, for the recently concluded World Cup. Ranatunga explained logistical reasons meant only one stadium could be used for the tournament.

"We had to finish everything within two or three weeks. The logistics of playing the matches at various venues are too cumbersome. The players would also be tired if they have to travel heavily within a short period. So we had no option but to limit the tournament to Colombo."

Unlike the IPL and the new format of the Big Bash League in Australia, the SLPL will not feature city-based teams. Ranatunga said having provincial teams would allow an entire province to associate themselves with a team and thus create a bigger following for the tournament.

IrishOpener

U19 Debutant
Kevin O'Brien also signed up for the SLPL

"I'm still not 100% who I'll be playing for in Sri Lanka, although I have been told that Sanath Jayasuria will be the team's captain, and that Darren Bravo and lonwabo Tsotosbe will also be on the team," he said, :)...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

"I'm still not 100% who I'll be playing for in Sri Lanka, although I have been told that Sanath Jayasuria will be the team's captain, and that Darren Bravo and lonwabo Tsotosbe will also be on the team," he said, :)...
Gunnnnn

jashan83

U19 Captain

great news. Really good for him

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Jayasuriya captains Ruhuna, or the Southern Province.

BTW here are what the names nean

Nagenahira - Eastern Province
Uthuru - Nothern Province
Wayamba - north Western Province
Basnahira - Western Province
Uva - Province named such
Madhyama - Central province

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have decided to cheer for the team that Sanath plays for. I'm sure you were all dying to know that. :)

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
It will most probably have Chandimal, Lakmal and Senanayake. All are upcoming cricketers.

salman85

International Debutant
Does anyone know when the final squads will be announced?

I'm curious as to where Shoaib will play.If he doesn't play for Afridi's team,my loyalty meter would go berserk.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
which team will have these players? Nagenahira??
All these are southerners. So would play for Ruhuna under Sanath. Southerners have a special bond in SL, and tend to be regarded as the most aggressive lot from the country. BTW, Suraj Randiv also is from South.