• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka Cricket to Lift it's Ban on ICL Players

cricman

International 12th Man
Sri Lanka lifts ban on rebel players

By Bipin Dani
Mumbai, Sept. 18 : While the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) has slapped a 10-year-ban on the players who joined Indian cricket League (ICL), Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) has done exactly the reverse.

According to Colombo-based sources close to the SLC, the interim committee has decided to revoke bans on those players who joined ICL and will be allowing them to play Club cricket.

As per the ICC guide lines, the ban was imposed during the tenure of former SLC Interim Committee chief Jayantha Dharmadasa.

The logic of lifting the ban by Arjuna Ranatunga and company is certain to shock the International Cricket Council and especially the Indian cricket board, with whom present SLC chairman Arjuna Ranatunga is at loggerheads.

"It may be the first step to allow players to represent the country in future", one of the top sources in Sri Lanka pointed out. The decision was taken at the last interim committee meeting.

"We received the request from a few players and the decision was taken", one of the interim committee members said on conditions of anonymity.

The chairman Arjuna Ranatunga was not available as he is in London, it is learnt.
http://www.dailymirror.lk/DM_BLOG/Sections/frmNewsDetailView.aspx?ARTID=26744

:-O :-O :-O About to have some real Trouble in the Asian Bloc

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Wow !! If that is indeed true then Congratulations to SL for standing up to BCCI and also another feather in Arjuna's cap. I must say it was going to happen sooner or later...after what we saw during the India-SL series when an ICL player was awarding MoM trophy to Sehwag. :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Wow !! If that is indeed true then Congratulations to SL for standing up to BCCI and also another feather in Arjuna's cap. I must say it was going to happen sooner or later...after what we saw during the India-SL series when an ICL player was awarding MoM trophy to Sehwag. :)
AWTA

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Whoa. SL standing up to the BCCI. It is absolutely fantastic to see, though I wonder how much money this will cost them. I guess we'll find out when BCCI release their itinerary and Sri Lanka get bumped from seven ODIs in Mumbai to three in Jamshedpur.

BCCI is now in a very vulnerable position. If they don't hit Sri Lanka hard, they'll look toothless and it'll be an incentive for the other boards to follow suit, especially New Zealand with Bond and legitimizing the ICL is not something they can afford. On the other hand, if they do follow through and hit Sri Lanka hard, they could risk alienating a very useful vote on the ICC council, and losing a subcontinental vote is not something they can afford either. Ah, politics, but I guess this is what Sharad Pawar was made for - let's see how he handles it. On the other hand, farmers are still committing suicide under his watch, so I rather hope he focuses on that one.....

Either way, this could cost the BCCI, and for that I am grateful. However, I do hope it doesn't cost the Sri Lankans too much - their finances are already not in the best position.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That's another thing that kills me about this whole cricket scene in the subcontinent. Could you imagine the uproar in any western nation if the head of a sporting body, who also happened to be the minister of agriculture, had massive suicides of farmers on his watch, and was seen prancing around to cricket conferences all day? He'd be crucified, and rightly so.

pasag

RTDAS
:thumbup:

Hopefully all the other spineless countries will follow their lead and we will see Shane Bond back in national colours before it's too late.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Excellent news. Hopefully Bond will play for NZ again if NZ follow SL. Wish Australia would do the same.

pup11

International Coach
Awesome news and SLC has shown great courage on its part to make such a progressive decision, i am sure BCCI would be seeing red after this development, but tbh **** BCCI if all the cricket boards get together on this issue then there is nothing the BCCI would be able to do.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sri Lanka possibly trying to avoid a similar situation to the one Bangladesh face themselves with. This thing keeps getting more interesting. :)

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
The article says that they're allowing the players to play club cricket. Is club cricket different in SL then how it is in NZ? I assume so, otherwise this wouldn't be news at all. Daryl Tuffey played games for my club team last season, and recent talks with him suggest he plans to play again this season.

Last edited:

cricman

International 12th Man
The article says that they're allowing the players to play club cricket. Is club cricket different in SL as it is in NZ. I assume so, otherwise this wouldn't be news at all. Daryl Tuffey played games for my club team last season, and recent talks with him suggest he plans to play again this season.
Club Cricket in Sri Lanka is First Class Cricket I believe

I hear Rumblings from India Yousef might Return to the ICL, I wonder what the PCB would do than? Lose it's best Test Batsmen because of the BCCI?

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Club Cricket in Sri Lanka is First Class Cricket I believe

I hear Rumblings from India Yousef might Return to the ICL, I wonder what the PCB would do than? Lose it's best Test Batsmen because of the BCCI?
Oh ok, that makes a bit more sense then.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't know why everyone's so excited about SL taking the moral high-ground. It's just about politicking from Ranatunga, that's all.