• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka agree to tour England in 2009

stumpski

International Captain
Two Tests in September, eh? We'll we've often done something similar in the past, usually a single match involving Sri Lanka (or, in 1980, Australia). Would have been OK this year - once the Champions Trophy was called off - as September's weather was a good deal better than August's; but still a little anti-climatic, and for some of us would have detracted a little from an exciting climax to the Championship. Not to be ruled out though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I am and always have been in favour of the Test season being wrapped-up by the end of August or at the latest the first week of September.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
However, knowing what we now know about Ranatunga and his BCCI feelings I'd not be at all surprised if he deliberately did this to try and get Sri Lankan players out of the IPL. If he did, as I say, idiotic on his behalf - knowing the Lankan players hadn't been paid by SLC for 6 months, it was hardly rocket-science which way they were going to side. It was a battle he had no chance of winning and should not have initiated.
Ranatunga just pulled out one of the rabbits out of his hat. By letting ICL players play domestic cricket and by creating this English tour debacle, he took a ransom off BCCI. SLC's first priority was to slop it self from collapsing. Let Ranatunga be there, he'll pull up few more rabbits out.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wrong. UK goverment. Their anti-Aimbabwe policy has created the problem.
Wrong. Andrew Strauss stated there was a fair chance a lot of England players might refuse to play Zimbabwe. The UK government sorted out what could've been extremely messy.

Seems to have made a new, bigger mess though.

stumpski

International Captain
And since Zimbabwe are not currently playing Test matches - against anyone - there was never any possibility of the tour going ahead, whatever the UK government's position.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Elaborate pls? Dunno why IPL is being villainised here. The IPL contracts were entered into before the SL series was even planned.
Yeah? And? So?

We now have the precedent: the IPL takes precedence over test cricket. If you're happy with that: good luck to you.

Wrong. UK goverment. Their anti-Aimbabwe policy has created the problem.
Pffft. Rather akin to blaming us for WW2 because of our "anti-Germany policy".

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah? And? So?

We now have the precedent: the IPL takes precedence over test cricket. If you're happy with that: good luck to you.
I think (and sincerely hope) the precedent is more "whichever was arranged first gets preference".

Pffft. Rather akin to blaming us for WW2 because of our "anti-Germany policy".
:laugh:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think (and sincerely hope) the precedent is more "whichever was arranged first gets preference".
Think that's a rather optimistic reading of it. I hope you are correct, but I doubt it. As US rappers are so fond of reminding us, "It's all about the Benjamins".

Moreover, it shouldn't matter. Tests should be sacrosanct, regardless of prior domestic arrangements. Of course I'm not naive enough to think that still pertains; players will follow the money.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Think that's a rather optimistic reading of it. I hope you are correct, but I doubt it. As US rappers are so fond of reminding us, "It's all about the Benjamins".

Moreover, it shouldn't matter. Tests should be sacrosanct, regardless of prior domestic arrangements. Of course I'm not naive enough to think that still pertains; players will follow the money.

So, you work for your boss, your salary is months overdue, and suddenly your boss forces you to do overtime with no extra pay and you'll be fine with it?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
So, you work for your boss, your salary is months overdue, and suddenly your boss forces you to do overtime with no extra pay and you'll be fine with it?
Do try to keep up, there's a good chap:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Moreover, it shouldn't matter. Tests should be sacrosanct, regardless of prior domestic arrangements.
Not when they're Tests just shoved into a gap as an afterthought at the last minute, IMO.

I don't see why anyone should be expected to give them more consideration than something else that's been arranged long ago.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
So, I'm waiting for the part where you explain why that should necessarily be a bad thing :) The moralising amuses me.
Not moralising; as I said I recognise the real politik of the situation. It's a simple qustion of personal taste. For me tests are more important than a domestic 20/20 competition. If you believe otherwise then the best of luck to you. I believe you to be wrong tho.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Not moralising; as I said I recognise the real politik of the situation. It's a simple qustion of personal taste. For me tests are more important than a domestic 20/20 competition. If you believe otherwise then the best of luck to you. I believe you to be wrong tho.
I don't believe that Twenty20 should have more importance that Tests. It is a simple situation of players refusing to play for the organisation that has not paid their salary for months and is testing their tolerance to the limits. Joe the plumber would do the same. Would have been a totally different situation had they been paid reasonably on time and the tour a part of the FTP when they signed their SLC contracts. It isn't unreasonable to expect them to do as any sane member of the workforce would do under similar circumstances.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:wallbash: is what you're looking for I believe.

And yeah, quoting which takes one line and treats it for something it is quite clearly (if you read it with what it's actually written with) not because in isolation it appears to be what they'd prefer it to be is annoying, innit?

EG:
I don't think that was a very good shot
somebody above said:
I don't think
I agree