• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Spinner for 1946-2006 World Test XI

Spinner for 1946-2006 World Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PhoenixFire

International Coach
aussie tragic said:
Well, after Marshall and Trueman win the opening bowler slots and Sobers wins the # 6 spot, wouldn't Miller, Imran, Botham, Davidson, Hadlee or Lindwall be better "final bowlers" ;)
Of course, although SS thinks a trundling wibbly-wobbly medium pacer would suit better.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
Of course, although SS thinks a trundling wibbly-wobbly medium pacer would suit better.
Even without McGrath, that side doesn't make sense. And I am no longer going to respond to any annoying statements about McGrath. I've said what I had to say about him, and if you disagree, thats fine for you.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Thanks, its just I know people don't think so, and thats their right. What I think I've done is shown a case that he could be the best (along with MM). If you don't think so, and still rate him at 50th all time, well there is nothing I can do about that.

Anyways, I'm almost through the Lillee tapes.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Actually, I said to you a while ago, that I rated him very highly, and would place him in the top 10 Fast Bowlers of all time, and you said I had it wrong and he should be no1, and that's how it all started. I do actually rate him highly.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
Actually, I said to you a while ago, that I rated him very highly, and would place him in the top 10 Fast Bowlers of all time, and you said I had it wrong and he should be no1, and that's how it all started. I do actually rate him highly.
Well I do think you're wrong. :laugh: I think, at worst, he is 3rd. But if you think he is around 10, thats fine. Only time I get annoyed is when people use idiotic reasoning (i.e he only bowls outside off stumps and waits for nicks..something easily disproved by dismissal percentage by type, and S/R).

bagapath

International Captain
I've voted for warne. I do intend to vote for sobers at 6 and choose two out of hadlee, marshall, lillee, hadlee, mcgrath, truman, imran and ambrose to open the bowling and may vote for murali as the second spinner. not sure yet. but between murali and warne i always struggle to choose. at the moment i felt better voting for warne.

grant28

School Boy/Girl Captain
murali by far he has better average and when both are on top form murali is by far more destructive. oh yeah whatever idiot said warne because he can bat a bit is obviously a duncan fletcher wannabe !!!!

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
a massive zebra said:
The statistical difference between the two has now become so large that it is not even worth a debate anymore.
Yep, playing over 50% of your matches at home on pitches doctored for your bowling, while being a lone-man attack, says a lot.

Last edited:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
KaZoH0lic said:
Yep, playing over 50% of your matches at home on pitches doctored for your bowling, while being a lone-man attack, says a lot.
Nah:
The issue of advantageous conditions prevailing in certain countries is a complex one. It might seem obvious from the home and away figures that Sri Lankan conditions must favour Murali’s bowling, yet if Murali’s figures are put to one side, finger-spinners as a group do not do especially well in Sri Lanka, averaging about 38 runs per wicket over the last 20 years, which is little different to their average elsewhere. Sri Lanka has been a graveyard for legspinners, with Warne an extraordinary exception: legspinners other than Warne have averaged 45 there.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
Er, yah. News to me, Murali is a finger spinner?

Quote Murali's stats at home and away? :) Having played more than half his games there, don't even try to brush it off. Then look at Murali in Australia, where, apart from Sydney, there really is no spinner's pitches and see how he does there? Then see how Warne does at home. And if it's purely about the Australian side, go quote Kumble's stats in Australia or Vettori's.

The obvious will remain: Murali does MUCH better at home and considering that's where he plays most his cricket it does inflate the ol' record - as do other things regarding Murali.

Last edited: