• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
Tristan Luus debuting for Dolphins. Interesting to see the speed gun.

4th player from SA U19 to debut in Div 1 from the WC after James, Maphaka & Pretorius. Although Marais who is very good has played Div 2.

Might see Stolk debut later.

SeamUp

International Coach
@Bahseph you watching your boys?

Unbelievably soft dismissal from Simelane. Feel for him, coming an at 8 and let's see if he bowls.

Saying that, you got to make the most of your opportunities and someone of the same age in JP King is doing that for the Warriors despite being pushed down the order as mainly a batsman.

SeamUp

International Coach
Sort of want the Tuskers to win and chase down 6th so that Boland get punished for their laziness and face relegation.

Dudgeon should get a Div 1 move. Back to Joburg maybe.

Budaza back home to EP another. He is better than their current BA bowlers.

SeamUp

International Coach
Steve Stolk debuts. Two guys still in school opening for the Titans.

If you add Maphaka, I can't remember when last 3 schoolboys all played in the same season.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
Comfortable wins for the Warriors and Lions today.

This is a long tournament. No mistakes for the new SA20 draft for next season.

Breetzke looking like a very good captain. Best of the younger lot in that regard. Maybe the Robbie P positive mindset helping.

Quite liked the look of leggie Nqaba Peter (Kumble-like). I suppose if SA are looking for a wristie to push Shamsi in time it will come from him, Dawood & Seleka. Maybe Kaber if he can get a Div1 move.

TABLE
Warriors 8 35
Lions 8 21
WP 8 21
Dolphins 7 15
NW Dragons 7 11
Titans 6 11
Tuskers 5 5
Boland Rocks 7 4

2 games tomorrow.

Also forgot to mention but Free State Knights are back in Div 1 next season. Held off Northern Cape.
Seleka looks very promising at just 21, sad that local captains the more attacking the spinner who can go for runs the less faith they give in them :(.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
Sort of want the Tuskers to win and chase down 6th so that Boland get punished for their laziness and face relegation.

Wp could use dungeon. Buren,parnell,patters can't go forever . Nabe is average.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant

Tuskers and Boland are division 2 players mainly the other 6 should maybe be forced to loan players who not playing especially under 24s.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
Steve Stolk debuts. Two guys still in school opening for the Titans.

If you add Maphaka, I can't remember when last 3 schoolboys all played in the same season.
And juan James sa u19 captain being playing for wp. A year out of school.

SeamUp

International Coach
Wp could use dungeon. Buren,parnell,patters can't go forever . Nabe is average.
I wouldn't say no but you know what the problem is. We have Moore, Bedingham, Verreynne, D Smith, Bird, Kaplan, Linde, Simmonds & Burger to fit in already.

But we definitely need to start preparing for the future in the quick bowling thats for sure. Not even sure there is much to recruit that meets our balance requirements.

Matthew Boast wasted at the Titans not playing. He also could do with a move.

Last edited:

Bahseph

State Captain
@Bahseph you watching your boys?

Unbelievably soft dismissal from Simelane. Feel for him, coming an at 8 and let's see if he bowls.

Saying that, you got to make the most of your opportunities and someone of the same age in JP King is doing that for the Warriors despite being pushed down the order as mainly a batsman.
Missed the cricket today due to family time etc etc. I brought up Simelane in a previous post because I think there is something there with him. He just never gets given anything to do for the Dolphins. I was digging through the Dolphins stats recently. Phelukwayo averages 15 with the bat and has taken 28 wickets in 51 T20 games for them. Now in no way do I have a vendetta against him but with stats like that I don't see why you wouldn't be giving Simelane more of a go to see if he is a better allround player?

On a slightly different topic,are we ever going to see Subrayen yet a T20I gig? He is very Johan Botha like to me as a package. Not as good of a batter as Botha was though.

SeamUp

International Coach
Missed the cricket today due to family time etc etc. I brought up Simelane in a previous post because I think there is something there with him. He just never gets given anything to do for the Dolphins. I was digging through the Dolphins stats recently. Phelukwayo averages 15 with the bat and has taken 28 wickets in 51 T20 games for them. Now in no way do I have a vendetta against him but with stats like that I don't see why you wouldn't be giving Simelane more of a go to see if he is a better allround player?

On a slightly different topic,are we ever going to see Subrayen yet a T20I gig? He is very Johan Botha like to me as a package. Not as good of a batter as Botha was though.
Fair play mate. Absolutely get where you coming from. Didn't even know it was that bad for Phehlukwayo. Thought he would hold his own a bit more than that at provincial. FWIW Simelane definitely looks more a batsman than a bowler so hopefully he get his chance down the line.

Re: Pren. There was a time I liked him a lot but just don't think the action issues helped his cause and in that time I guess he fell behind Maharaj, Fortuin and Linde (although doubt we will see him again) and probably with Simmonds for 4th in line for that finger-spinning role who can contribute with the bat. He was one of the pre-selections for DSG but hardly played in SA20 this past season but is always dependable.

SeamUp

International Coach
I know there is T20 WC first but what is our probables list looking like at the moment for the 2027 WC in SA, Zim & Namibia?

I just don't know whether we can realistically think R Hendricks, Bavuma, Vd Dussen & even Miller will be around at 38/37. Say they aren't.

Rickelton (wk)
De Zorzi
Breetzke
Markram
Stubbs
Klaasen (wk)
M Jansen
Coetzee
Rabada
Maharaj
Nortje

Bird (slc)
Parsons (sla)
J Hermann
Brevis (rls)
Verreynne (wk)
Mulder
Ferreira
Fortuin
Burger
Ngidi/Baartman
Shamsi

Pillay
L Pretorius (wk)
Van Tonder
JP King (ros)
Van Buuren
D Marais
Kruger
Swanepoel
Boast/Luus
Nqaba/Seleka
Maphaka

The 3rd team is probably where it gets most interesting. Trying to go away from the only bring bowling with batting to 9. Whereas you probably want your 8/9 stronger in team 1 & 2.

Pretorius, King & Marais haven't done much yet but they that next group below Brevis. I want a batsman who brings spin & that is King. Pretorius holds off Qeshile for the gloves for balance. The other option is King opens with Pillay or Pretorius & the gloves go to Qeshile.

The anchor role goes to van Tonder who holds off Hamza/M Ackerman. I'm actually not a 100% on this as all probably fighting to prove themselves in modern white-ball cricket.

I get my power with Marais/Kruger who bring a 2nd string to their bow with their fielding/seam bowling respectively. Van Buuren can play the versatile finisher role and is an excellent fielder too.

Swanepoel the best uncapped seamer AR. Gone past Eathan Bosch for me. Love his enthusiasm and skill in his bowling and he smokes it. Same for Boast & Luus in they bring power hitting & can bring new ball bowling & who I'm hoping will prove themselves in the next couple years like Maphaka & the young leg-spinners Nqaba/Seleka who I can't pick between and could do with pushing Shamsi.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
I wouldn't say no but you know what the problem is. We have Moore, Bedingham, Verreynne, D Smith, Bird, Kaplan, Linde, Simmonds & Burger to fit in already.

But we definitely need to start preparing for the future in the quick bowling thats for sure. Not even sure there is much to recruit that meets our balance requirements.

Matthew Boast wasted at the Titans not playing. He also could do with a move.
Tony de Zorzi was ruled out due to injury,

SeamUp

International Coach
County season starts in the next few days.

I guess SAs main guys.
Dean Elgar -Essex
David Bedingham - Durham
Wiaan Mulder - Leicestershire
Donovan Ferreira - Yorkshire (Blast)
Simon Harmer - Essex
Beyers Swanepoel - Kent

Would have loved De Zorzi and Breetzke to be signed for the CC Even Hermann

SA Connections
Du Plooy - Middlesex
Van Buuren & De Lange - Gloucs
Ingram & Cooke - Glamorgan
Benjamin & Booth - Warks
Ackermann, Carse & Glover- Durham
Montgomery, Harrison & Paterson - Notts
Abbott & Turner - Hampshire
D Malan & Moriarty - Yorkshire
Roy, Curran's & McKerr - Surrey
Karvelas - Sussex
B Compton & Cohen - Kent
Dickson & VD Merwe - Somerset
Roderick - Worcestershire
Vasconcelos & J Broad - Northants
Benkenstein - Essex
Jennings - Lancashire

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Qdk was offered a contract but turned it down.

Take the hint CSA and stop picking this guy, his biggest goal in cricket is to make as much money as possible from T20 leagues (Nothing wrong with that) but if it doesn't bother you to not represent your country then give an opportunity to someone who does give a damn.

Last edited: