• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Yep one of the consequences of not naming good squads is losing to unheralded sides, South Africa embarrassed by Kenya ..
Is that the first time they have won a game against us ? What a flippen joke

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep one of the consequences of not naming good squads is losing to unheralded sides, South Africa embarrassed by Kenya ..
Is that the first time they have won a game against us ? What a flippen joke
Yep. Kenya's first ever official win against South Africa. As much as the star of the show is a recent u19 prodigy, there were a few veterans mixed in the squad.

It feels very underwhelming to break the duck in such circumstances.

SeamUp

International Coach
I just realised something about these Africa Games going on currently, they are being viewed as official international fixtures by the ICC.

Which means that the university themed squad which was picked , where most of the cricketers have little to no experience at domestic level have officially been capped by South Africa ..

George Van Heerden has become the first South African player to score a hundred on T20I debut. In fact his 107* v Ghana is the highest score on T20I debut by a cricketer from a Test playing nation. Previous best was 98* by Ricky Ponting vs NZ in 2005.
I see it has now been removed as an official international.

I mean lets be honest, it is the right thing to do.

SeamUp

International Coach
2022 U19 CWC in the Windies that was so desperately poor for SA.

Ethan Cunningham
Ronan Herman
Valentine Kitime
Dewald Brevis
George van Heerden
Michael Copeland
Andile Simelane
Liam Alder
Matthew Boast
Aphiwe Mnyanda/Caleb Seleka
Kwena Maphaka

Obviously Brevis is the most advanced playing for SA. All those guys have played SA Emerging last winter at least or the 50-over series in Div 2 this season or signed in the SA20 bar Mnyanda.

Interestingly JP King who missed selection for the WC above, is the player chosen to replace Stubbs for the Warriors. Handy little cameo on Sunday. Last season debuted for NW and impressed after impressing in the Varsity Champs for Pukke. One to watch.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I see it has now been removed as an official international.

I mean lets be honest, it is the right thing to do.
My understanding is that CSA never intended these matches to be full internationals, otherwise they wouldn't have sent the side they did. It could pose some problems though as it's entirely conceivable that something like Cricinfo's database isn't set up to accommodate a tournament where some match are official internationals and some aren't.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
My understanding is that CSA never intended these matches to be full internationals, otherwise they wouldn't have sent the side they did. It could pose some problems though as it's entirely conceivable that something like Cricinfo's database isn't set up to accommodate a tournament where some match are official internationals and some aren't.
Apparently even SA cricket mag has considered these as internationals

Dendarii

International Debutant
Cricinfo are now calling the teams "University Sport South Africa" and "South Africa Emerging Women". So it looks like they never intended for the matches to be internationals but clearly that information took a while to get to record keepers like Cricinfo.

SeamUp

International Coach
David Wiese is in the Titans squad tonight. Been ages since he played for them. I'm not sure how I feel. On one hand it takes up a youngsters spot but of the 5 white spots they picking from 2 longer version players ( Brand and van Heerden), 2 matrics (Pretorius and Stolk) & 2 AR quicks in (C Bosch & Boast).

They getting Ngidi back in a few games with him withdrawing from IPL. The other spots are easy I guess. From Makhanya, Moonsamy, Galiem, Phangiso, Williams, Dala, Shamsi

Northerner

Cricket Spectator
First time poster, although i have been reading this site for some time, for me South Africas fast bowling is as strong as ever, Rabada, Nortje, Jansen, Ngidi, Coetzee and Burger. the batting is the problem especially in tests. with little test cricket being played by the Proteas , now is the time to play a 2 or 3 test series against Zimbabwe, not the strongest of sides but when they up their game they can compete,. it will give batsmen like de Zorzi. Rickleton, Bedingham, Brand Van Tonder etc valuable test match experience and hope fully get their confidence and averages up before taking on the bigger boys,

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
First time poster, although i have been reading this site for some time, for me South Africas fast bowling is as strong as ever, Rabada, Nortje, Jansen, Ngidi, Coetzee and Burger. the batting is the problem especially in tests. with little test cricket being played by the Proteas , now is the time to play a 2 or 3 test series against Zimbabwe, not the strongest of sides but when they up their game they can compete,. it will give batsmen like de Zorzi. Rickleton, Bedingham, Brand Van Tonder etc valuable test match experience and hope fully get their confidence and averages up before taking on the bigger boys,
I think the issue is more that SA just haven't given the best players a long enough run. Like, rickelton has dominated domestic FC cricket for ages, got his test debut 2 years ago now and has only played 4 tests. I know he's been injured, but given how dog**** their batting has been bar bavuma, you'de think he would have played way more games. I still think a top 6 of:

1.Makram
2.De Zorzi
3.Rickelton
4.Bavuma
5.Bedingham
6.Verryne +

Looks REALLY good. They just need to stop making stupid decisions, like giving petersen games over rickelton, or randomly deciding that verryne needs to be dropped for klassen just after klassen one them a test in NZ and was their best bat in Australia, or making marco "I average 25 in fc cricket and have no 100's" Jansen bat 7 in a test match. Like, their bowling is so good it let them take a test of peak bazball england and gave Australia a massive scare at the gabba, they just need to pick their best 6 batsmen and not make a weak batting lineup worse by making the tail long. If you've got jansen, rabada, maharaj/harmer and one of the million other decent pacers they have as a third option you don't need a jansen type bowling allrounder at 7.

Northerner

Cricket Spectator
@ Nintendo, pretty much agree with what you say, i would not dismiss Brand just yet, especially for the sub continent where is spin bowling would be valuable. may be the South African selectors should start reading posts on this forum. they seem to be clueless, LOL.

SeamUp

International Coach
Welcome mate.

I think it's more to do with domestic cricket and challenging batsman to push for test spots. The higher the quality of depth of bowling the better. I do see what Conrad means in a way. Of course the batting is a long term issue and just escalated when we weakened the domestic game and lost some legends.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Kwena Maphaka has signed for Mumbai Indians. He is still at school and the Lions could have done with him 😔

Of course you can't turn it down and it's a great experience but I rather our domestic players face him and then he goes ha
as far as ipl teams go he’s at the best one he could possibly be for his development and having the former national team coach as his new coach also helps

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Contracts announced. Disappointing that beddingham didn't get one.

Ehh, how many test's do SA actually play this year? Rewarding him for not taking the SA20 contract would be nice, but realistically they've gotta put the money where there actually playing this year and he's not really in white ball contention atm.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Ehh, how many test's do SA actually play this year? Rewarding him for not taking the SA20 contract would be nice, but realistically they've gotta put the money where there actually playing this year and he's not really in white ball contention atm.
2 against the WI I think is all they have.

Was a nice ICC PDF document with the FTP till 2027 available. But has been put behind a media access only inexplicably since the England/India series finished.

Must have missed how the ordinary fan having access to this is such a problem for ICC.

Stefan9

International Debutant
2 against the WI I think is all they have.

Was a nice ICC PDF document with the FTP till 2027 available. But has been put behind a media access only inexplicably since the England/India series finished.

Must have missed how the ordinary fan having access to this is such a problem for ICC.
We have 2 vs Bangladesh, 2 vs Sri Lanka and 2 vs Pakistan along with the Windies.