• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
I'm over him too. Good luck to him but I suspect he will be picked for the WC for his goodbyes.
So many great cricketers were unable to get the opportunity to play Test cricket or have a meaningful career for South africa and this guy whose not even a top 30 SA cricketer uses every opportunity to disrespect the badge it makes me gatvol.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
So many great cricketers were unable to get the opportunity to play Test cricket or have a meaningful career for South africa and this guy whose not even a top 30 SA cricketer uses every opportunity to disrespect the badge it makes me gatvol.
Who are the 30 guys better than him? He's one of the best test keeper-bats SA have had and one of their goat limited over's batsmen.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Who are the 30 guys better than him? He's one of the best test keeper-bats SA have had and one of their goat limited over's batsmen.
Off the top of my head
Graeme Smith
Jacques Kallis
Graeme Pollock
Peter Pollock
Shaun Pollock
Dale Steyn
Eddie Barlow
Kagiso Rabada
Makhaya Ntini
Hugh Tayfield
Gary Kirsten
Neil Adcock
Daryl Cullinan
Vernon Philander
Ab De Villiers
Dudley Nourse
Barry Richards
Mike Procter
John Waite
Aubrey Faulkner
Vincent Van Der Bijl
Garth Le Roux
Bert Vogler
Trevor Goddard
Peter Kirsten
Jimmy Cook
Brian McMillan
Colin Bland
Herbie Taylor
Jackie Mcglew
Herschelle Gibbs
Fanie De Villiers
Clive Rice
Jimmy Sinclair
Jock Cameron
Lee Irvine
Ken McEwan

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Off the top of my head
Graeme Smith
Jacques Kallis
Graeme Pollock
Peter Pollock
Shaun Pollock
Dale Steyn
Eddie Barlow
Kagiso Rabada
Makhaya Ntini
Hugh Tayfield
Gary Kirsten
Neil Adcock
Daryl Cullinan
Vernon Philander
Ab De Villiers
Dudley Nourse
Barry Richards
Mike Procter
John Waite
Aubrey Faulkner
Vincent Van Der Bijl
Garth Le Roux
Bert Vogler
Trevor Goddard
Peter Kirsten
Jimmy Cook
Brian McMillan
Colin Bland
Herbie Taylor
Jackie Mcglew
Herschelle Gibbs
Fanie De Villiers
Clive Rice
Jimmy Sinclair
Jock Cameron
Lee Irvine
Ken McEwan
There's a few older guy's there I'm not familiar with, but if you think vernon philander was a better 3 format player for SA than quinny your off your ****ing rocker. Quinny's been a good keeper and made in excess of 13000 runs for the team while being ****ed around by the management, also top scored for them at the last ODI wc, he's more than done his dues. Elgar played under the same administration and pulled the plug a few years earlier than he otherwise would have cause he couldn't be ****ed dealing with it anymore. He's not bothered to represent his country anymore because the management around the team is and has been a ****show for years.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
There's a few older guy's there I'm not familiar with, but if you think vernon philander was a better 3 format player for SA than quinny your off your ****ing rocker. Quinny's been a good keeper and made in excess of 13000 runs for the team while being ****ed around by the management, also top scored for them at the last ODI wc, he's more than done his dues. Elgar played under the same administration and pulled the plug a few years earlier than he otherwise would have cause he couldn't be ****ed dealing with it anymore. He's not bothered to represent his country anymore because the management around the team is and has been a ****show for years.
Here lies the problem, you're not South African, you don't know the history of Sa cricket and you are trying to lecture me about how I RATE South African cricketers , Ive forgotten more than you know you disrespectful **** , I don't give two ****s about 3 format cricketers when did I say anything about 3 format players? otherwise id have added Faf Du Plessis among others..it's what you do in red ball cricket that counts most in my eyes and he spat on the badge when he retired at 30 ..CSA is crap who doesn't know that? But if everybody just deserted their responsibility then cricket would have died in this country a long time ago...
It's a cop out, and I believe it's got to be nipped in the bud , if you think he's in the top 30 greatest cricketers this country has produced then good for you , you asked for mine I gave it.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Here lies the problem, you're not South African, you don't know the history of Sa cricket and you are trying to lecture me about how I RATE South African cricketers , Ive forgotten more than you know you disrespectful **** , I don't give two ****s about 3 format cricketers when did I say anything about 3 format players? otherwise id have added Faf Du Plessis among others..it's what you do in red ball cricket that counts most in my eyes and he spat on the badge when he retired at 30 ..CSA is crap who doesn't know that? But if everybody just deserted their responsibility then cricket would have died in this country a long time ago...
It's a cop out, and I believe it's got to be nipped in the bud , if you think he's in the top 30 greatest cricketers this country has produced then good for you , you asked for mine I gave it.
I agree that he is not in the top 30 rated cricketers in SA.

But it is far more disrespectful to say he didn't treat the SA badge well. Every game he played for SA and all his teams you can see he cared and put the effort him. Sometimes in pretty trying circumstances. He decided to retire early, and he will be missed.

But that is no reason to degrade him as either a player or as a person. I have far more respect for him being honest to himself, looking after his family and his future first than falling for the nationalistic and patriotic crap that is expounded consistently in order to try make people do things they wouldn't normally or even possible should be doing.

SeamUp

International Coach
I agree that he is not in the top 30 rated cricketers in SA.

But it is far more disrespectful to say he didn't treat the SA badge well. Every game he played for SA and all his teams you can see he cared and put the effort him. Sometimes in pretty trying circumstances. He decided to retire early, and he will be missed.

But that is no reason to degrade him as either a player or as a person. I have far more respect for him being honest to himself, looking after his family and his future first than falling for the nationalistic and patriotic crap that is expounded consistently in order to try make people do things they wouldn't normally or even possible should be doing.
Yeah, I agree. I appreciated him as a player greatly and whilst slightly irritated on his early retirements in each format you just have to accept his decisions. Most do it now and it's true, maybe frustrations with SA cricket played it's part too.

But in saying that, I do love the theatre and doing anything for the badge. I do miss that about the game. That us vs them build up and putting everything on the line for the team/SA cricket if we don't want to go as far as for the nation.

Last edited:

Bahseph

State Captain
Yeah I'm a proud Saffa but I don't begrudge QDK for maximizing his earning potential and choosing how often he wants to work with a young family. Heck I'd take that in a heartbeat! He was definitely one of our biggest match winners with the bat in Tests for a while. Still feel like we didn't see the absolute best of him in whites but I'd love to see him show up in T20Is if he still has the motivation.

Genuinely though how much of the nationalistic pride we associate with older cricketers is because they didn't have T20 franchise leagues to cash in on and instead aimed to play every format for as long as they could.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Also, if you read that interview, he says that rather than give him a contract when he's just playing T20s they should use that money to invest in a younger player who's going to be available in all three formats. That's a much more reasonable take on matters than the headline would suggest.

SeamUp

International Coach
We've known where he has stood for a while. I would just prefer us to look forward from him. SA20 he was so wishy washy.

He is younger than Reeza, Bavuma, VD Dussen, Klaasen & Miller. Just don't want to us to have them all leave at a similar time.

Let's pick those guys that performed at a high level in SA20.

Thats the same with Baartman. The guy deserves a spot over some of the more recognisable names.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
But in saying that, I do love the theatre and doing anything for the badge. I do miss that about the game. That us vs them build up and putting everything on the line for the team/SA cricket if we don't want to go as far as for the nation.
I love the theatre as well. And I will forever support the SA team. And have my pride in that. And any sports person who plays at the top level tends to put all in for the team he plays. It's part of the job. And should retire if they can't.

I'm just not naive enough to think that it is the be all and end all of everything. Or that the only reason I feel that way is due to being brought up in SA. And having it be part of me from a young age. Not truly because the team is any more important than any other team. Or in this case family and happiness.

SeamUp

International Coach
I love the theatre as well. And I will forever support the SA team. And have my pride in that. And any sports person who plays at the top level tends to put all in for the team he plays. It's part of the job. And should retire if they can't.

I'm just not naive enough to think that it is the be all and end all of everything. Or that the only reason I feel that way is due to being brought up in SA. And having it be part of me from a young age. Not truly because the team is any more important than any other team. Or in this case family and happiness.
That goes without saying. Sometimes people do look at sportsmen like they robots and expect the amazing from them all the time.

I think @Bahseph sums it up. If there was no T20 he would still be playing Tests and ODIs to be making money. But the whole landscape of cricket has changed.

Stefan9

International Debutant
There is one issue here from a public viewpoint.
When the public sees Proteas like qdk & ab before him quitting the Proteas well before time and then compare them with spring Boks still turning out at wc's at the age of 38 like Duane Vermeulen then they will question the cricketers commitment.
Its probably not fair but thats the perception being created.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
There is one issue here from a public viewpoint.
When the public sees Proteas like qdk & ab before him quitting the Proteas well before time and then compare them with spring Boks still turning out at wc's at the age of 38 like Duane Vermeulen then they will question the cricketers commitment.
Its probably not fair but thats the perception being created.
Yes. But environment and monies make a big difference.

The fact that those same rugby players play in very profitable leagues around the world. While being able to play international rugby because world rugby ensures that periods of time are made available for international fixtures. And because SA rugby makes the effort to keep in contact with those players and there clubs to ensure a good fitness and training regime to suit all. Just a totally different management structure.

SeamUp

International Coach
Elgar. Such a shame he couldn't carry on as a senior player in our test team. Last of the old school player to help the younger guys. FC hundred 49 round the corner.

Screenshot_2024-04-05-16-29-10-73_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg

Bahseph

State Captain
I'm giving my age away here but I was still a kid when Lance Klusener was in his prime. Caught quite a bit of him for the Dolphins at the tail end of his career. Heck,I even had one of his bats! Had a family friend that played with him at the Dolphins.

Would he have tried to prolong his Test career if T20 was a thing in about 2000? I don't have much insight into how Zulu the Test cricketer went but he looks like a prime example of someone from the older guard who could have went the franchise route earlier. Would he have been judged differently? This is a very hypothetical thought I know :laugh:

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Nice to see swanepool having a good t20 challenger. Haden't done much in the format before this season, but so far he's been the leading wicket taker at a solid average and econ and managed 90 runs at a SR of 185 and a solid average.