• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Socerer 01

International Captain
Contracts announced. Disappointing that beddingham didn't get one.

sorry but this is a farce and it isnt just limited to a failure of mere rewarding of Bedingham for choosing tests over t20

any developing player will see this and realise that their board doesnt care for test cricket and they’re better off trying to get into t20 circuit if a team’s main test batsman and keeper cant get contracts

Bedingham has played more tests since 2023 than total internationals Rickelton has played and i know Rickelton has more potential but its still wrong, what is Phehlukwayo even doing here

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
sorry but this is a farce and it isnt just limited to a failure of mere rewarding of Bedingham for choosing tests over t20

any developing player will see this and realise that their board doesnt care for test cricket and they’re better off trying to get into t20 circuit if a team’s main test batsman and keeper cant get contracts

Bedingham has played more tests since 2023 than total internationals Rickelton has played and i know Rickelton has more potential but its still wrong, what is Phehlukwayo even doing here
CSA sent a third team over to nz because the test tour conflicted with the SA20. Writings been on the wall regarding test cricket in SA before today.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
Ehh, how many test's do SA actually play this year? Rewarding him for not taking the SA20 contract would be nice, but realistically they've gotta put the money where there actually playing this year and he's not really in white ball contention atm.
Peshi is undeserving.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
Watching wp VS tuskers now, parnell can't bat 7 or 8 but when he comes in 1,2 , 3 he makes runs everytime almost must be he likes the newball.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant

Weird how rickleton gets contract but never picked he should be picked in all formats though maybe he will be now that elgar is out and petersen is deemed junk but Kyle v keeper deserves contract and should be picked on all 3 formats he is like our boucher .

SeamUp

International Coach
Contracts announced. Disappointing that beddingham didn't get one.

Bedders obviously should have got bit CSA are cheap and probably know him and Mulder have County contracts.

Phehlukwayo clearly knocked the door down to get his contract back lol. It's stuff like this that just makes you pissed off.

Nortje asked not to be contracted because he doesn't want to put pressure on himself coming back from injury. Not sure about that.

There is an older group of FC cricketers when they move on then I'm not sure there will be many left in our cricket in Vallie, Second, Erwee, D Hendricks. Can see contracted squads being white ball determined.

SeamUp

International Coach
Watching wp VS tuskers now, parnell can't bat 7 or 8 but when he comes in 1,2 , 3 he makes runs everytime almost must be he likes the newball.
Been such a weird career by Parnell. Still an okay one but flattered to deceive. Wonder how much longer he carries on for WP? Him, Pato and Beuran not getting any younger.

SeamUp

International Coach
Sounds like Elgar is going to play Sheffield Shield cricket for South Australia as well as the 3-year deal for Essex. Could really get up the all-timer Saffer FC hundred list. Some real choice words to for SA cricket.

*Feel dirty that Pieter Malan is there with over 20 of those in 3-day cricket and a lot of fine players with 20-odd FC hundreds like Z de Bruyn, Puttick, McGlew, Goddard, Ontong, de Villiers, Melville, Kuhn , Vilas, Pothas, K Viljoen, Waite, Rhodes, McLean, Fotheringham, Irvine, Liebenberg, M van Wyk, Klusener, Duminy, Rushmere, Hudson, Hylton Ackerman.

Screenshot_2024-03-30-08-53-35-89_f90b96e7af3c5a594eb0c92de7fc5fe1.jpg

Dendarii

International Debutant
Bedders obviously should have got bit CSA are cheap and probably know him and Mulder have County contracts.
I wonder if that county contract complicated things for Bedingham. He's based in the UK, so they would kind of have to grant him a permanent NOC to allow him to ply his trade there. CSA are usually pretty amenable when it comes to NOCs, but they are based on things like fitness, and that would be harder to monitor when he's not in the country.

That doesn't let CSA off the hook completely, as his omission may have been yet another one of their bizarre contracting decisions, or maybe they didn't even bother to try to figure how to accommodate him, but he does present a different scenario from the rest of the players.

SeamUp

International Coach
I wonder if that county contract complicated things for Bedingham. He's based in the UK, so they would kind of have to grant him a permanent NOC to allow him to ply his trade there. CSA are usually pretty amenable when it comes to NOCs, but they are based on things like fitness, and that would be harder to monitor when he's not in the country.

That doesn't let CSA off the hook completely, as his omission may have been yet another one of their bizarre contracting decisions, or maybe they didn't even bother to try to figure how to accommodate him, but he does present a different scenario from the rest of the players.
At best it could be that South Africa are weak and giving into his county commitments but I just can't see that. Pretty sure Durham would release him. It can't be that he is a test player only at this stage as Keegan Petersen had one.

The fact we've reduced the number from 20 to 18 and Phehlukwayo gets one, makes it even worse. There are players more deserving or even players futures with high potential that we should be protecting over him. I like de Zorzi but even he has a way to go and gets one. It's just not a good look amongst contemporaries and we must have it a lot in our cricket where our guys go why aren't I getting and they are. I guess it's down to that lack of trust in the system that's been there for years already.

Dendarii

International Debutant
At best it could be that South Africa are weak and giving into his county commitments but I just can't see that. Pretty sure Durham would release him.
It's not so much about that, but rather that they wouldn't have as much control over him. In rugby, SARU has a say in how the locally-based Springboks are managed, and there may be something similar for cricket.

But even though I think it's possible, I'm not leaning into that too heavily as to why he didn't get a contract. Every time the contracts are announced there are inclusions and omissions which don't make much sense, and this is one of them. Unless he does something monumentally stupid, there's no way he's not going to be a regular in the test side going forward.

Bahseph

State Captain
There is definitely some weird reasoning behind Bedingham not getting a contract. I don't believe that they are blind to the fact that he could be our best Test batsman moving forward. I still expect to see him in every Test squad announced this year.

De Zorzi I feel will get a certain degree of leeway and preferential treatment because they dearly NEED him to succeed because of the quota etc etc. Not taking anything away from him because he is very talented.

Everyone knows I'm a Durban boy and a big Dolphins fan but I'm over Phelukwayo as well. I feel he gets hidden even playing domestically as he hardly gets given responsibility with either bat of ball. A little bit of a tangent but Dolphins are also picking Andile Simelane now and not giving him a bat or bowl in his last few T20s. Hard to understand sometimes.

I hope Nortje isn't thinking of going the T20 route just yet. He has so much to give as a Test bowler!

Bahseph

State Captain
Been such a weird career by Parnell. Still an okay one but flattered to deceive. Wonder how much longer he carries on for WP? Him, Pato and Beuran not getting any younger.
I think Parnell's skillset with the bat always involved playing himself in before hitting out. He was never going to get that role as opener/pinch hitters for SA in the Era he played in so I don't feel like we saw the best of him as a batter in internationals.

With the ball it's a shame we didn't see more of him in Tests. When there was movement he could be a real handful but the Kolpak deal and injuries put paid to that.

SeamUp

International Coach
There is definitely some weird reasoning behind Bedingham not getting a contract. I don't believe that they are blind to the fact that he could be our best Test batsman moving forward. I still expect to see him in every Test squad announced this year.

De Zorzi I feel will get a certain degree of leeway and preferential treatment because they dearly NEED him to succeed because of the quota etc etc. Not taking anything away from him because he is very talented.

Everyone knows I'm a Durban boy and a big Dolphins fan but I'm over Phelukwayo as well. I feel he gets hidden even playing domestically as he hardly gets given responsibility with either bat of ball. A little bit of a tangent but Dolphins are also picking Andile Simelane now and not giving him a bat or bowl in his last few T20s. Hard to understand sometimes.

I hope Nortje isn't thinking of going the T20 route just yet. He has so much to give as a Test bowler!
Phehlukwayo is an okay to average domestic cricket player. It was shown at the Paarl Royals how average he is and couldn't keep a place in the side as a 'Protea'

You see, I don't mind a Simelane being gently eased in and developed into something. At least he hasn't eaten up years of doing nothing yet. But the problem comes when they struggling and they still have to be picked. Being dropped on performance when young can be a good thing. It's effecting these players too!

The problem comes when you've really got club standard players made out to be domestic regulars no matter what they do and how poor they are like Sibz Makhanya has been playing for years and done nothing & there are worse than him. We have the same issue at WP with De Zorzi in and Mpongwana making decent strides but having to pick Kitime, Nyaku, Nabe etc

Was chatting to a mate, give the SA20 2/3 years to phase out the supposed picks now and it's already starting to separate the men from the boys and the public will get more serious when saying why they picking this player and not that player.

SeamUp

International Coach
I think Parnell's skillset with the bat always involved playing himself in before hitting out. He was never going to get that role as opener/pinch hitters for SA in the Era he played in so I don't feel like we saw the best of him as a batter in internationals.

With the ball it's a shame we didn't see more of him in Tests. When there was movement he could be a real handful but the Kolpak deal and injuries put paid to that.
Yeah, whilst he can hit on he odd occasion I never felt he was a typical big hitter.

Parnell at his best was the T20 WC in England and that ODI series Vs Oz at home and he ripped through them at Centurion. Don't think he ever got better than that. Can't remember if he had injuries. Think he did.

SeamUp

International Coach
Ever since de Zorzi was signed in the SA20 his season has gone down hill. If there was one player who could have done with avoiding that and going to New Zealand it was him.

Left out the WP team today.

Patrick Kruger a newbie shout for SA A. Not really many 5/6s outside our main boys in the IPL and he bowls a little bit of seam.

SeamUp

International Coach
Comfortable wins for the Warriors and Lions today.

This is a long tournament. No mistakes for the new SA20 draft for next season.

Breetzke looking like a very good captain. Best of the younger lot in that regard. Maybe the Robbie P positive mindset helping.

Quite liked the look of leggie Nqaba Peter (Kumble-like). I suppose if SA are looking for a wristie to push Shamsi in time it will come from him, Dawood & Seleka. Maybe Kaber if he can get a Div1 move.

TABLE
Warriors 8 35
Lions 8 21
WP 8 21
Dolphins 7 15
NW Dragons 7 11
Titans 6 11
Tuskers 5 5
Boland Rocks 7 4

2 games tomorrow.

Also forgot to mention but Free State Knights are back in Div 1 next season. Held off Northern Cape.