• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Dendarii

International Debutant
If the board weren't involved in making the announcement then it may be OK as hopefully there are still some competent people working at the lower levels of CSA. Of course, that could just be wishful thinking.

SeamUp

International Coach
With the bigger picture in mind this is our tools to work with. A multiyear plan should be in place. Still of the opinion that to win matches at international level you can't fill your side with middle-of-the-roaders.

CobrasWarriorsDolphinsKnightsLionsTitans
P.MalanMooreRoelofsenR.HendricksElgar
J.MalanBreetzkeRickeltonMarkram
HamzaSmutsPetersenv Tondervd Dussende Bruyn
de ZorziSecondAckermanBavumadu Plessis
VerreynneQeshilevan BiljonMulderde Kock
BirdMillerMakwetuParsonsKlaasen
SmithMuthusamyD.PretoriusGaliem
LindeMaharajvon BergFortuinShamsi
BurgerNortjeDupavillonCoetzeeRabadaNgidi
StuurmanE.BoschB.HendricksDala
M.JansenNtanziSipamlaNtini
TaitMagala

SeamUp

International Coach
So squad that beat Australia in ODI's back end of last summer. Squad for England should be announced soon so they can go into the bubble.

de Kock
J.Malan
Smuts
van der Dussen
Miller
Verreynne
Klaasen

Phehlukwayo

Maharaj
Shamsi

Rabada
Nortje
Ngidi
B.Hendricks
Sipamla

* Dupavillon played last game

There will be changes to that squad. Faf, Bavuma, Markram, R.Hendricks, D.Pretorius, Fortuin, Linde, Dupavillon, Magala to to be considered?

SeamUp

International Coach
We sending a security assessment delegation to Pakistan this weekend.

Stephen Cook is one of those that have gone on this mission.

Lots of more relevant and young cricket people getting involved in decision-making since Smith has taken charge. Tick.

SeamUp

International Coach
Mpitsang will sign off his first squad on Friday.

Talk of a 25-man squad & there will be inter-squad games.

SeamUp

International Coach

25-man squad at a guess

Top-order Batsmen/Keepers
J.Malan, de Kock, Bavuma, Faf*, Markram, R.Hendricks

Middle-order batsmen/keepers
Miller, Klaasen, Verreynne, van Biljon, Smuts

Seamer All-Rounders
Phehlukwayo, Morris*, D.Pretorius

Spinners
Tahir*, Shamsi, Maharaj, Linde, Fortuin

Seamers
Rabada, Nortje, Ngidi, B.Hendricks, Dala, Magala

* Assuming they will be picked but it's not definite

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I am truly hoping that the good feeling I have over Mpitsang is borne out. He seems the right man for the job.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I do like the idea of inter-squad games. Not only should it allow our players to test themselves against a higher level than the regular domestic sides, maybe it's also an opportunity to give players some captaincy experience which could help in planning for succession - right now we have no clue who the test captain will be if Faf's not there.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I do like the idea of inter-squad games. Not only should it allow our players to test themselves against a higher level than the regular domestic sides, maybe it's also an opportunity to give players some captaincy experience which could help in planning for succession - right now we have no clue who the test captain will be if Faf's not there.
Heck before that even. When Smith retired unexpectedly we had no clue who to pick and burnt through both Hash and ABdV. And captaincy was a big factor in effecting those two players careers.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
What younger players have done enough to deserve being in the squad though?
You mean other than Roelfeson who top scored and avg 68. Never mind Hamza, Rickelton, Breetzke and Moore who all avg above 50+. de Zorzi was not bad last season either. And it would be nice to see Elgar in there considering he did pretty well and is one of the few members of the current Test squad that is likely to be guaranteed a spot and could also be possible captain replacement for Faf.

About the only positive for me is that at least those guys will be playing 4-day cricket instead. Which may very well be the thinking.

SeamUp

International Coach
You mean other than Roelfeson who top scored and avg 68. Never mind Hamza, Rickelton, Breetzke and Moore who all avg above 50+. de Zorzi was not bad last season either. And it would be nice to see Elgar in there considering he did pretty well and is one of the few members of the current Test squad that is likely to be guaranteed a spot and could also be possible captain replacement for Faf.

About the only positive for me is that at least those guys will be playing 4-day cricket instead. Which may very well be the thinking.
Going to give them the ODI games in this series & v Pakistan. If they haven't worked out by then that this lot isn't going to do much then I don't know. Don't think we can expect miracles. I suppose they were unlikely to bring youngsters for the T20s (WC in a year) but there is no chance a lot of these players should be in a our 50-over WC squad in 3 years. In this time - hopefully some of the other younger players keep growing their games in the 4-day format & put their names up again in domestic white-ball. Frustrations obviously are truncated season and lack of SA A games (there was meant to be an increase before COVID restrictions).

That smidgen of consistency was important for Mpitsang and Proteas coaches Mark Boucher and Enoch Nkwe (who make up the men’s team’s selection panel) and partly explains the absences of Imran Tahir and Chris Morris. Both players remain part of the plans in the T20 format for the Proteas according to Mpitsang, but will be looked at for series’ next year, before the T20 World Cup. “The Proteas will be playing a lot of cricket. We just wanted to be consistent with those guys we did pick last year,” said Mpitsang.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
I know it is only 2 rounds and I hate selecting on just form but I think a good mix in the situation we are in is some form & definitely looking to the future.

To be honest so little test cricket is played I am over the experienced card and I don't care if we dishing out caps here. I think for us to be competitive we can't select P.Malan, Markram, Hamza, vd Dussen, Bavuma, de Bruyn and Pretorius right now.

I've long been critical of pretty 30/40s from Erwee but he is scoring runs and the only opener doing so that can balance Elgar/Petersen I reckon.

1. Dean Elgar (c)
2. SJ Erwee
3. Keegan Petersen
4. Quinton de Kock
5. Raynard van Tonder
6. Wiaan Mulder
7. Kyle Verreynne (wk)
8. Keshav Maharaj
9. Kagiso Rabada
10. Anrich Nortje
11. Lungi Ngidi

12. Beuran Hendricks
13. George Linde
14. Glenton Stuurman

Reserve batsman can be anyone's guess.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I know it is only 2 rounds and I hate selecting on form but I think a good mix in the situation we are in is some form & definitely looking to the future.

To be honest so little test cricket is played I am over the experienced card and I don't care if we dishing out caps here. I think for us to be competitive we can't select P.Malan, Markram, Hamza, vd Dussen, Bavuma, de Bruyn and Pretorius right now.

1. Dean Elgar (c)
2. SJ Erwee
3. Keegan Petersen
4. Quinton de Kock
5. Raynard van Tonder
6. Wiaan Mulder
7. Kyle Verreynne (wk)
8. Keshav Maharaj
9. Kagiso Rabada
10. Anrich Nortje
11. Lungi Ngidi

12. Beuran Hendricks
13. George Linde
14. Glenton Stuurman

Reserve batsman can be anyone's guess.
I would be quite happy with this team. I would play van Tonder at 3 and drop Petersen and de Kock down one.

But I do think that Hamza is getting a raw deal at the moment. He spent two or three seasons scoring good runs has hit a patch of bad form and is being practically discarded by many. Same with Markram in many ways. I understand they have their issues, but still.

I am also going to put it out there that these batsmen started struggling after spending time in the SA squad under Gibson in particular. I don't want to get all conspiracy theory but I do think that both these batsmen have been asked to play in a manner they where not be comfortable with for the sake of the team and have tried to change things that probably should have been done slowly or not changed at all. And now they struggling in their heads and with so little cricket have not had a chance to get back into their space.