• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Bahseph

State Captain
I feel you SeamUp. The current political climate makes any organization being run ethically and with the right intentions practically impossible. It's going to creep into every aspect of life. I see it on a regular basis in my professional career.

SeamUp

International Coach
Yeah, could be a lot worse.

Just seems like options are also limited. Be interested who supports him and how many.

He did love his job as convenor of SA u19s

Dendarii

International Debutant
I don't know anything about his track record in his other roles, but he doesn't seem like a terrible choice. Which shows how bad things have become that we'll take "not terrible".

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I think he is more than not terrible. He has played the game, he has stayed actively involved in the game, knows the players well and obviously loves the game. His lack of experience is possibly his biggest issue, but with the right support he seems like a man who could do a good job for SA cricket long term.

SeamUp

International Coach
Maybe I am looking too far ahead but I think the fact he was SA u19 Convenor of selectors for a while means he would have watched quite a few of the young players in the system too. It might not be this season but in the next 2/3 years that could prove invaluable.

I remember when he was selected for SA. ODI tour to New Zealand. Pretty sure he broke Paul Adams record at the time as youngest SA ODI player.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Follow thread in what looks like the remaining member on the board are resigning. Some still staying on , on the members council.
It is very much a similar look as all the other government and parastatal officials that have been caught with hand in cookie jar and hanging on as long as possible in the hope to get away with it. I am guessing the forensic report pretty much shows everybody abusing their powers and behaving corruptly. As long as they remained on the board they could control the narrative and prevent legal disputes. But time has run out. I would not be surprised if we get criminal charges coming in the next year or so for some.

SeamUp

International Coach
Seeing John Reid pass away recently & only 2 players remain playing test cricket from the 1940s & 1 being South Africa's John Watkins (currently the oldest living test player & I can think of SA's Norman Gordon & Lindsay Tuckett also holding that most recently before their passing) & the other Australia's Neil Harvey. I thought it interesting to see how many players pre-isolation from South Africa are still alive.

235 players played test cricket for SA before isolation. 21 are still alive. By cap number , year of birth + year of test debut.

174. John Watkins (born 1923) (debut 1949)
175. Ronald Draper (born 1926) (debut 1950)
198. Peter Carlstein (born 1938) (debut 1958)
202. Colin Wesley (born 1937) (debut 1960)
207. Harry Bromfield (born 1932) (debut 1961)
208. Kim Elgie (born 1933) (debut 1961)
209. Goofy Lawrence (born 1932) (debut 1961)
210. Peter Pollock (born 1941) (debut 1961)
212. Sydney Burke (born 1934) (debut 1962)
213. Buster Farrer (born 1936) (debut 1962)
218. Graeme Pollock (born 1944) (debut 1963)
222. Derek Varnals (born 1935) (debut 1964)
224. Mike Macaulay (born 1939) (debut 1965)
225. Ali Bacher (born 1942) (debut 1965)
227. Richard Dumbrill (born 1938) (debut 1965)
228. Mike Procter (born 1946) (debut 1967)
229. Pat Trimborn (born 1940) (debut 1967)
232. Dennis Gamsy (born 1940) (debut 1970)
233. Lee Irvine (born 1944) (debut 1970)
234. Barry Richards (born 1945) (debut 1970)
235. John Traicos (born 1947) (debut 1970)

* My dad knows Ron Draper quite well from club cricket at Kimberley CC when. He was the club captain when my dad came into the team. Ex EP rugby/cricket player Gavin Cowley's uncle.

Although Ronald Draper played in only two Tests, both against Australia in 1949-50, he hit a hundred before lunch four times in first-class cricket and occupies an important place in South African cricket as the first to score two centuries in a Currie Cup match, for Griqualand West v Border at Kimberley in 1952-53. He also made a hundred - 114 against Orange Free State - on his first-class debut in 1945-46.
** Some other interesting things. Kim Elgie was a dual international. Played international rugby for Scotland. Harry Bromfield was the last SA spinner to get a 5-for in SA until Paul Harris did it in 2009 v Australia at Newlands.

*** Buster Farrer was known to be roy of the rovers in East London. Played internationally in cricket and hockey plus represented Border in tennis, bowls, golf & squash.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
With the tests v Sri Lanka in both Centurion/Joburg (new years) it looks like Australia will then get the 3 coastal venues. From a spectacle point of view a Highveld test between Australia/South Africa is always good viewing (particularly at the Wanderers).