• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Bahseph

State Captain
I know that the SA vs Pakistan series didn't draw much interest from the SA posters here,but I did make some observations:

1. Markram's failings in ODI cricket is purely a mental issue. He has real power in his stroke play even while being relatively orthodox.
2. I'm not going to criticize Rassie again! He always finds a way to make an impact.
3. Linde is in the first XI for me. Canny bowler and a batsman that can go from ball one.
4. Carrying on from the above point,Phelukwayo shouldn't be on the team if he isn't bowling. I haven't seen consistent evidence that he can start hitting out after a few balls. Probably why his LO batting is better than his T20 and First Class batting.
5. Magala or Williams as a back up? Assuming Rabada,Nortje and Ngidi are the first choice seamers,who is the next best option?
6. The AB talk does not die down. And I'm surprised that the coaches play into it. I'd love him in the T20 team but it's so frustrating.
7. I'd love to see Morris at 7/8 though. I'd assume he is more realistic a get than AB.

1. QDK
2. Markram
3. Bavuma
4. Rassie
5. Klaasen/AB
6. Miller
7. Morris/Phelukwayo
8. Linde
9. Rabada
10. Nortje
11. Shamsi

Thoughts? A little light on the players of colour. I'd love to see Mulder in the side but genuinely don't know how he goes in T20 stuff.

Dendarii

International Debutant
That team seems about right to me. Maybe Faf in for Klaasen if he's still playing T20s? (I can't remember whether he retired from all international cricket or just tests)

On the bowling front, while there may be some merit to the argument for having six bowling options, in a T20 your sixth bowler is only going to get a couple of overs, and Markram can cover that.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Is it time to discuss boucher?? Dreadful record as coach so far and I have yet to see any player show real improvement under him.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

Apparently everybody knows what needs to be done... it just needs to actually be done.

Bahseph

State Captain
Just took a glance at the A Team scorecards. I desperately want to believe that Hamza is not done and he can make it back to the Test Team one day. de Bruyn doing what he does and bossing the level below Tests. Really strange usage of Lubbe as well. Muthusamy picked up a couple of 4-fers but I'd have Linde over him for the OD teams. Purely based on who would bat better at 7. Nice to see him carrying on with some good performances though.

Dendarii

International Debutant
de Bruyn doing what he does and bossing the level below Tests.
Hendricks too - three fifties in the four matches. The rest of the batting has been a bit inconsistent as players have ended up with big scores in some matches and not much in others.

Good to see Sipamla amongst the wickets. He's definitely better in the longer format, but they seem to want to keep picking him for T20s and ODIs, so this will be a boost for him. Phehlukwayo was disappointing though with only 1 wicket and he didn't get much opportunity to contribute with the bat (although that's not his fault and he was not out every time).

Dendarii

International Debutant
Why on earth is Van Tonder not in the South Africa A team? I could just about accept him not being in the test squad if it meant that instead of carrying drinks he'd get some time out in the middle against Zimbabwe A, but then they don't even pick him for that. :mad2:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Why on earth is Van Tonder not in the South Africa A team? I could just about accept him not being in the test squad if it meant that instead of carrying drinks he'd get some time out in the middle against Zimbabwe A, but then they don't even pick him for that. :mad2:
Seniority... it makes no sense to me. It was very clear that SA cricket does not know how to look after and maintain our most talented players. It becomes very much a case of you need to suck it up, score runs and when your opportunity arises hope you show enough. Little to no help, little to no support until you actually get in.

No progressive thinking, all very conservative and linear thought processes. You can practically hear the head sports coach saying, this was good enough in my day its good enough now...

Stefan9

International Debutant
Dupavillion has done well so far in this first innings. Rest haven't done much.

For those not aware can watch on youtube:

Dendarii

International Debutant
And the double is ta SR of 92... just gotta hope this is a sign of an upward trajectory for SA cricket.
Rickelton with a century as well, and at one point he was going at strike rate of around 90. Throw in Moore's 93, and it's mostly been a good match for South Africa's batsmen.

However, it is Zimbabwe's second-string bowling attack, so it's difficult to know how to judge the performances. But runs on the board are runs on the board, and if nothing else it will boost the players' confidence going forward.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Markram, Petersen, Rickelton, Hamza, Qeshile, Verryenne, QDK, Mulder. Looking at those batsmen (from the Test and A team), it is difficult to believe that we cannot find a strong top 6 in the near future... except we know that they gonna not be selected forever.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Not the strongest opposition, but a comprehensive victory for the SA 'A 'side is a good sign... can't really ask for more.