• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Dendarii

International Debutant
little help from the rain it seems
Quite possibly. We didn't have much batting left to come, so losing another wicket might have scuppered us and therefore cutting the game short helped us.

I was a little surprised Du Preez didn't step in as captain. I get that she doesn't want the job anymore, but it seems like she's stepped away completely, even from being an emergency stand in.

Heboric

International Debutant
Quite possibly. We didn't have much batting left to come, so losing another wicket might have scuppered us and therefore cutting the game short helped us.

I was a little surprised Du Preez didn't step in as captain. I get that she doesn't want the job anymore, but it seems like she's stepped away completely, even from being an emergency stand in.
Yes, I was forgetting she was skipper before. Maybe she doesnt want it / thinking of the future

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
It’s feels a bit much to be asking of Wolvaardt at 21 when there is more experience available in the team. Big difference between 21 and 23/24 years of age. (Now I really am showing my age!)

Dendarii

International Debutant
Yes, I was forgetting she was skipper before. Maybe she doesnt want it / thinking of the future
They do appear to be looking towards the future by making Luus the captain, and while Wolvaardt is going to be in the team for a long time, I don't think it's necessary to add more future planning by giving her the reigns even if it's just for one match. Especially not when Van Niekerk's not 30 yet, so she won't be going anywhere anytime soon either.

Du Preez appears to have stepped down as captain as it was affecting her batting (she averages almost 10 runs less when captain), so it's entirely reasonable that she wouldn't want the job on an extended basis, but not doing it for a once off is a bit more puzzling.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Great performance by the women to take the series, and with our highest ever run chase to boot.

It looked at one point like the required run rate was threatening to get away from us, but it was a great partnership by Du Preez and Goodall. Du Preez's been a bit short of runs of late, but that must be one of her best innings, and while I'm still not entirely convinced by Goodall I can't fault her performance in this match.

Heboric

International Debutant
Yes good performance by our ladies, I am pleasantly surprised, I always thought our batting was our weakness, nice to come through two stiff chases

Dendarii

International Debutant
We probably made heavier weather of chasing that than we should have done, but another victory for the women.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Fantastic from the women. Going to India and getting a 4-1 series win is a great result. At least something is working in SA cricket.

Dendarii

International Debutant
It's entirely possible that he won't get a game. COVID protocols mean that they can't just call someone up, so they need to have an extended squad. That can make it difficult to assess selections as we don't always know who they're genuinely considering and who is really just there as cover in a worst case scenario.

Dendarii

International Debutant
The women are playing really well at the moment, going 1-0 up in the T20 series with an eight wicket victory. Bosch is certainly making use of the opportunity she's been given as she's looking like a handy player with both bat and ball.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Yeah, that was not an easy chase and I thought Lee going out might have been the end of it for us as the others were struggling to find the boundaries. But that was probably an even better knock by Wolvaardt as she had to deal with the pressure of the run rate, and in the end it was India who lost their nerve with the no ball and a slightly sloppy bit of fielding off the last ball which meant that there wasn't a chance to effect a run out..

Dendarii

International Debutant
Not a good end to the series from the women, but at least they saved their worst performance for when it didn't matter. But overall, a really successful tour, and they can be very pleased with the way they're playing right now.