• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Bahseph

State Captain
Caught some of the T20 today. The next WC is in India so Fortuin could stake his claim. I think Linde is ahead of him in the SLA allrounder spot but he did well enough today. You have to assume Shamsi is a lock so how many spinners could play potentially? The bowling attack will include KG but I'm wondering who else would be a lock? Phelukwayo probably at 7.

7. Phelukwayo
10. KG
11. Shamsi

Stefan9

International Debutant
Do we still consider Miller a lock or should we look at other options? Another disappointing performance yesterday

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Miller will play the LO teams. He has done alright enough times and there is not enough from others to actually pressure him.

But I care about the t20 team about as much as I could be bothered to watch yesterdays game... not at all... I used to at least not mind it on in the background, but this really holds no interest for me.

Bahseph

State Captain
I too prefer T20s the least of all formats but I am invested in a WC year. The nature of the game means we could be in with a shot if our stars align.

I almost forgot about Smuts. I think that second spinner spot is definitely between Linde,Fortuin and JJ. I know Reeza has scored some runs in these two games but he scores too slowly. And I'm always worried that he will get out for 20(25) before he accelerates

Bahseph

State Captain
Adding to my previous post:

1. QDK (ct & wk)
2. Malan/Bavuma
3. Faf
5. Miller
7. Phelukwayo
8. Linde
9. KG
10. Ngidi
11. Shamsi

I just feel Ngidi gets the nod to partner KG up front. I'd like Linde in but Andile's batting in T20 cricket is a myth imo. So maybe bump him down to 8 and have JJ at 7. Honestly not sure who they will go with in the middle order. Rassie probably. Any idea who's the big hitting number 6 we need? I suppose Pite van Biljon is on audition. Maybe Klaasen? Hulk? Morris?

Dendarii

International Debutant
Bavuma to captain ODIs and T20s and Elgar tests.

https://www.news24.com/sport/cricke...ar-confirmed-as-new-proteas-captains-20210304

No problem with Elgar for test captain. I think the only two realistic options were Elgar or Markram, but it'll be easier for Markram to rediscover his form without the pressure of being captain, and if he does then there's no reason why he couldn't end up taking over from Elgar.

I'm not so sure about Bavuma as limited overs captain as he's yet to really establish himself in the side. He's done well enough in the games he's played but it's a very small sample size as he hasn't played too many. On the other hand, he has done well domestically and has obviously had success captaining the Lions. And since it's not like there are too many other options, despite my reservations I don't think it's a bad decision.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Congratulations on Temba 1-Ton on becoming VC to the Test side. May he never be un-selected

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
They are making the best of a bad situation. He is here to stay and is probably one guy you can guarantee will play, why not make him captain? Maybe the responsibility brings the best out of him.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Np with bavuma as white ball captain. Big issues with elgar as test captain and bavuma vc, elgar is not a natural captain and bavuma doesn't deserve his test spot.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Np with bavuma as white ball captain. Big issues with elgar as test captain and bavuma vc, elgar is not a natural captain and bavuma doesn't deserve his test spot.
Elgar has been a fine stand in captain when required... and that is what he will continue to be for now. With Fafs retirement and the fact that they have been reluctant to make wholesale changes means Bavuma will continue to be the mediocre batsmen he is and still maintain his spot.

As batting goes in the last 2 years (11 matches or so) only Elgar has avg near 45. Everybody else is 35 and lower they should all be tanked. The only batsmen to have scored a 100 is Elgar, Markram and QDK (who is actually avg 30!). The point is regardless of who we pick as VC none of the batting deserves to be on the park aside from Elgar at the moment.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Elgar has been a fine stand in captain when required... and that is what he will continue to be for now. With Fafs retirement and the fact that they have been reluctant to make wholesale changes means Bavuma will continue to be the mediocre batsmen he is and still maintain his spot.

As batting goes in the last 2 years (11 matches or so) only Elgar has avg near 45. Everybody else is 35 and lower they should all be tanked. The only batsmen to have scored a 100 is Elgar, Markram and QDK (who is actually avg 30!). The point is regardless of who we pick as VC none of the batting deserves to be on the park aside from Elgar at the moment.
That is where we disagree. I have not seen him as a fine standin captain.

His batting is fine. I am talking about captaining.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
That is where we disagree. I have not seen him as a fine standin captain.

His batting is fine. I am talking about captaining.
I don't think it will make a difference with Boucher as coach... I don't think that the on fielding captaincy decisions are gonna alter much from what we have seen until now.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
The captain under Boucher will never have the autonomy to be their own man. He's a Ray Jennings lite. If it leads to success then who am i to complain?

Heboric

International Debutant
Talk about crashing down to earth, this time its our time to get thrashed, ladies lost by 9 wickets with plenty to spare. :(

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Talk about crashing down to earth, this time its our time to get thrashed, ladies lost by 9 wickets with plenty to spare. :(
Wolvaardt and Lee are so key at the top of the order, both to prevent early wickets but also the pace of the innings. Watching early this morning could see that we where going to struggle to increase the innings run rate with these slower pitches.

Dendarii

International Debutant
The thing that may be slightly concerning is that it's a complete reverse of the previous match with the team batting first being bundled out cheaply and the score being chased down for the loss of very few wickets. If that's typical for the venue then it means that the result of the match basically depends on who wins the toss.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Wolvaardt and Lee are so key at the top of the order, both to prevent early wickets but also the pace of the innings. Watching early this morning could see that we where going to struggle to increase the innings run rate with these slower pitches.
Yeah esp with Tryon out (although she was struggling a bit more last year)

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The thing that may be slightly concerning is that it's a complete reverse of the previous match with the team batting first being bundled out cheaply and the score being chased down for the loss of very few wickets. If that's typical for the venue then it means that the result of the match basically depends on who wins the toss.
Yeah. Trying to set a good total on these wickets is always difficult. Knowing what you need to do in the second innings makes a big difference, particularly when chasing a low score.