• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Dendarii

International Debutant
Van tonder and theunis de bruyn apparently had positive covid cases so weren't consider for this game.
That possibly means that they'll be out for the next one as well. Oh well, hopefully it won't be too long until the next series.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Not the strongest opposition, but a comprehensive victory for the SA 'A 'side is a good sign... can't really ask for more.
Agreed. While we need to temper any excitement because of who the opposition are, it does look like things might be on the up and we've started to build up some decent depth. Or course, the next problem is making proper use of that depth and picking the right players.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Gonna just pop this here...

Its good to hear from people like Omar Henry, because they probably have the clearest view from all sides. None of this is really a surprise though.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Totally unrelated to anything cricketwise but I hope all of my South African members are well. It has been a terrible few days in KZN,and I hope calm is somehow restored quickly. We will be feeling this for months to come though.
Been largely unaffected by it here in PE... been horrible to witness on the news though. I`m not a fan of them deploying the army even if it is probably the right thing in the circumstance. I do hope thinks improve quickly and you manage to get some sleep!

Stefan9

International Debutant
In our part of Pretoria we have been ok, thankfully. Terrible situation. Hope the instigators get what they deserve

Bahseph

State Captain
The fear has subsided about the residents physical safety,I think that most people realise that the majority of the looters were just pawns in whatever game is being played. Imo whoever organized this has committed treason. The saddest part is the job losses and the knock on the economy. So let's see what's going to conspire now.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

If you really want to know how ****ed SA cricket is can read these...

Dendarii

International Debutant
Ryan Vrede seems to be jumping to a massive conclusion in the first article when he states that Boucher is prepared to litigate as denying allegations doesn't necessarily automatically mean that he's going to take legal action. The situation is messed up enough already without shoddy journalism pouring even more fuel on the fire.

Noumenon

U19 Vice-Captain
Boucher's take that the team lacked maturity to understand the offensiveness quotient of calling a teammate brown **** takes the whole bakery. Why did he think their team was banned for all those years?

Noumenon

U19 Vice-Captain
I was hoping not but sure enough, Boucher also went with the trope, ''color of skin never mattered to me''. Peak tone-deafness.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Ryan Vrede seems to be jumping to a massive conclusion in the first article when he states that Boucher is prepared to litigate as denying allegations doesn't necessarily automatically mean that he's going to take legal action. The situation is messed up enough already without shoddy journalism pouring even more fuel on the fire.
I wholeheartedly agree with this... but don't forget either that this was already all delayed because of Smith wanting 'legal clarification' that there is no protection from litigation. Whether deliberate or not it is at the very least an implied threat. Now many have axes to grind here, but lets not get fooled the varst majority of these accusations/instances are likely true. And I say that as a white professional that has been put into awkward positions in the last month dealing with my bosses on exactly this sort of reality. It is a reality of SA that we have all mentioned (along with the crime, corruption and many other issues) that is largely ignored by many or quite often just laughed off as not that important.

Mark Keonahe just wrote an opinion piece that does go to the heart of the matter, using Russel Domingo and Prince as the clear and obvious examples.

Last edited:

Bahseph

State Captain
Hmm. I'm surprised that they went with Reeza over Malan. Also surprised that Keshav is there when be hasn't even played a T20? I would have also kept Linde. But they are backing Fortuin? Strange.

1. QDK (wk)
2. Bavuma (Cpt)
3. Markram
4. Rassie
5. Miller
6. Klassen/Mulder
7. Hulk
8. Keshav
9. Rabada
10. Ngidi/Nortje
11. Shamsi

Really don't see why they would go for Hulk above Andile if he isn't going to play.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Linde must feel pretty aggrieved to only be travelling as a reserve tbh. Pretorius's selection looks a bit yikes to me - just don't think he's good enough

Also no Janneman Malan??? He's been gunning it recently! Ok it's not in the T20 stuff but still. Very strange

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
It feels like this squad was selected long before and everything else has been window dressing. I would have also preferred Linde to Pretorius in the main squad. At least Linde is part of the wider backup squad. J. Malan losing out is pretty much the most disappointing considering what he has achieved in such a short space of time and we need good ball striking batsmen.