• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So is India safe to tour or is it just a media beat-up?

jeevan

International 12th Man
Here's what has happened:

- India asked to re-open talks with Pakistan recently (~ 11th Feb).
- The next day, there was a bomb explosion at a very soft target (A bakery in Pune). That's how motivated these guys are to perpetuate conflict.
- Immediately after, an outfit called the 313 Brigade (not the Al Qaeda itself) then sent a message to Asia Times Asia Times Online :: South Asia news, business and economy from India and Pakistan
where these threats were delivered.

Those who've followed the terror trail in India even a bit will have heard of both Ilyas Kashmiri and his 313 Brigade. They're as much a spawn of elements of the Pakistani military as of Al Qaeda ( They're still connected)
To an extent, these details don't matter. But given how much impact it can have, worth a few lines in a thread. Bottomline: This was not bin Laden deciding to go after sports in India, but the usual terrorists operating there.

To Pakistani posters: Being very objective here with no intention of starting another pissing match (I can clearly distinguish between assorted terrorists, elements of Pakistani military, the country and it's people). It is in your interests and that of your cricket team's, and dare I say, your country's - to wipe these scum off the face of the earth. No one in cricket has suffered more than Pakistan over this.

Moderators: Please decide if it belongs in OT or can stay here (wider audience?)

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Like I always say, even if there is the slightest chance of something bad happening to our guests(cricketers in this case) then I don't want them taking the risk and coming out here. The "great game of cricket" can take it up its ass, thanks. Personal well being of people is all that matters. Maybe in 2011 if not in 2010.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't think the players should come if they feel unsafe. But I don't think the IPL should be moved again. That'll pretty much mean that it'll never be played in India again.

Sir Alex

Banned
I don't think the players should come if they feel unsafe. But I don't think the IPL should be moved again. That'll pretty much mean that it'll never be played in India again.
Yeah this. The final decision should rest with the individual. Player associations should ensure they don't force players not to tour while IPL ensure they're not forced to tour either. That said there is also responsibitity on part of players to be aware of this at the time of contracting.

pasag

RTDAS
It's interesting how much to see the general consensus has softened post-Sri Lankan players attacks. I remember there being pretty heated debate on here re:touring in the subcontinent.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I think most people on both sides of the debate thought terrorists wouldn't actually attack players directly. I know I didn't.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A lot of it is just bull**** from an extreme right-wing political party. Al-Qaeda isn't to be messed with however.
If you ever decide to make a post that is something other than stating the most impossibly obvious, you will let us know, won't you?

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Not sure how realistic this is, but talk of India/Bangladesh/Sri Lanka/Pakistan losing the 2011 WC due to security concerns now.

NZ could co-host 2011 Cricket World Cup | Stuff.co.nz
I don't think the world cup would be moved out of India. I am pretty sure the government will take all possible steps to provide complete security cover for the tournament. Shifting of the WC could set a bad precedent for tours of India.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
BCCI throws up fake tantrums with stuff like umpiring, but if you hit them in one place that they actually care about (money).....

I think if the ICC votes to move the WC out of the subcontinent, the boards who voted for that better be prepared for a **** storm of biblical proportions in terms of a decade long continuous royal ****ing whenever they get the chance (and they'll get a lot of chances).

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
WAIT. STOP.

Did anyone else spot this?

Modi recently sent a Twitter message to Lara Bingle, the fiancee of Australian vice-captain Michael Clarke: ''Hope you coming for the IPL this year. Call me.''
That is pretty funny. Coming from a guy who was charged with kidnapping, and assault :p. Michael, keep Lara out of India :p.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
NZ co-hosted the 1991/92 WC with Australia - same as is proposed by that report.

Of course, the 1991/92 WC was not an event of the magnitude that the 2010/11 event will be - because cricket WCs grow as time goes on, and there are 19 years between said tourneys. But NZ may have hosted events bigger in its time.