• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Slow down outfields?

Slow down outfields to counter powerful bats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rather than slowing the outfield down, what about not allowing teams to use rollers at the beginning of each day, and only between innings?

I raise this owing to Cricinfo suggesting the heavy roller on the pitch this morning at OT may have helped flatten it out.

AFAIK there have been not too many cases where you could sayt he roller had a really big influence onthe game, but it may be something worth looking at.

Thoughts?

Top_Cat

Rather than slowing the outfield down, what about not allowing teams to use rollers at the beginning of each day, and only between innings?

I raise this owing to Cricinfo suggesting the heavy roller on the pitch this morning at OT may have helped flatten it out.

AFAIK there have been not too many cases where you could sayt he roller had a really big influence onthe game, but it may be something worth looking at.

Thoughts?
the roller usually only flattens it out for an hour or so, though. NZ were just not good enough.

Top_Cat

Not disputing that NZ were good enough, but an hour makes a big difference.
Reckon? England only scored about 40-odd runs in the first hour. It's not as if it allowed them to blaze away as there were only a couple of boundaries, no more than usual anyway. The heavy roller generally doesn't flatten the deck out into a road, just makes the bounce a bit more even initially. Most of the time, after that, it goes right back to where it was and starts deteriorating again.

Burgey

Moving from the particular of that match to the general though, do you think it might be a good idea not to use the roller each morning, given this thread was looking at ways to give an edge back to bowlers?

Top_Cat

Moving from the particular of that match to the general though, do you think it might be a good idea not to use the roller each morning, given this thread was looking at ways to give an edge back to bowlers?
Given I don't think it makes much of a difference anyway, sure why not?

sanga1337

U19 Captain
I have to disagree. Slowing down the outfield isn't a good idea IMO. Forces the batsman to hit more slogs in the air than more orthodox shots along the ground. It is really frustrating when your hitting good shots along the ground but they don't go anyway. Its a disadvantage to more cautious batsman who like to hit their shots along the ground.

IMO a better solution is to spread out the boundaries more. In the IPL they moved in the boundaries like 20 meters which meant a good number of mis-hits went for six

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The roller can go both ways, though. Added to which, it's also one of those things which for me feels like "undoing progress". Instead of trying to do more to help bowlers, it seems like you're trying to undo stuff to hamper batsmen. Which isn't a way I like to feel we're going.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This is a horrible idea IMO. How would this actually change the balance between bat and ball? It'd change the amount of runs scored, yes, but it'd just be producing less runs for the exact same cricket. The issue isn't with the scores - it's with the actual cricket being played; the core contest as the ball reaches the batsman.

Slow outfields are extremely frustrating AFAIC and this would just promote more big hitting and aerial cricket to bypass it.

This makes as much sense as making fours worth three and sixes worth five.

Last edited:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
the thing to counter better bats is simply bring out the boundary lines as fas as possible, more often they bring it in instead of just playing to its maximum capacity, so the icc should make that adjustment of making the minimum distance longer by 15 yards and that if grounds can go further than that they have to.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
the thing to counter better bats is simply bring out the boundary lines as fas as possible, more often they bring it in instead of just playing to its maximum capacity, so the icc should make that adjustment of making the minimum distance longer by 15 yards and that if grounds can go further than that they have to.
This is such common sense that the fact that they are doing the exact opposite (at least BCCI are) shows how little they care about the impact on the game

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It doesn't matter in Twenty20 - bring the ropes in as far as you want. It's proper one-day and the long-form cricket that matter.

And I've said it several hundred times - pushing the boundaries back to make maximum use of all space on the ground is all well and good and should be essential - but as far as I was aware, it's been being done for a year or so now in ICC-sanctioned cricket. But there are many grounds which are simply so small that even with maximum perimeter, they're still far too small and boundaries, along the carpet and through the air, are far too easy to come by.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It doesn't matter in Twenty20 - bring the ropes in as far as you want. It's proper one-day and the long-form cricket that matter.

And I've said it several hundred times - pushing the boundaries back to make maximum use of all space on the ground is all well and good and should be essential - but as far as I was aware, it's been being done for a year or so now in ICC-sanctioned cricket. But there are many grounds which are simply so small that even with maximum perimeter, they're still far too small and boundaries, along the carpet and through the air, are far too easy to come by.
Dont think so - as far as I'm aware the bigger grounds (e.g. Oval, MCG, Adelaide, WACA, Gabba etc) all have ropes brought in on at least longest boundaries

BTW, I dont mind smaller gounds but I disagree with larger boundaries being shortened as it removes the idiosyncracies of ground from the spectacle

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I hate small useless-piece-of-crap grounds and I hate ground space not being used. Boundaries being a metre-et-demi in to protect the fielders is fine, but there's obscene amounts of shortening used at some of the bigger grounds.

Maybe the chance is a proposed rather than actually introduced one, but there's certainly been some movement to stop boundaries being ridiculously brought in some time recently.