• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Slow down outfields?

Slow down outfields to counter powerful bats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If they hit it to where you dont have fielders then Ive no sympathy.

My thoughts are simple. You dont want to be hit there then dont bowl it there or if you want to bowl there but dont want runs to come from there then put a fielder there.

Hard to complain that a ball travels. There are 9 fielders you have to plug the gaps.
True to an extent. But personally I don't like the idea that you beat the infield it's automatically four, which you see so often at the current time.

Laurrz

International Debutant
No, not at all - one of the biggest plus-points is that it'd bring fielding back into it.

The only reason I'm hesitant is Jono's point that it might actually just make "power hitting" seem even more important, when the object of the exercise is to try and make it less so.
Yea true

i think everything is fine the way it is tbh, diff grounds have different outfield speeds just like pitches.. eg. MCG vs SCG/WACA etc. .. or Indian vs Aussie

i quite like the dynamics..love a fast outfield, tests the fielders reactions..and a slow one too..where running b/w wickets is imp. etc.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
From a fielding POV. Keep 'em fast. I dont want to have to chase a ball to the boundary. Rather turn and have someone on the sideline throw the ball back to me than use excess energy. :)

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
That doesn't change the fact fast outfields too are exceptionally frustrating.
It all evens out in the end. As long as the outfields are adequate size, the pace of the outfield makes little difference and its the same for both teams so it shouldn't worry the bowlers.

Besides, if you're an opening bowler and bowling lightening quick, and if you're nicked through the slips for 4. its tough luck that the fielders weren't good enough or not placed in the correct position. However, if you're top edged for 6, then things start to take a far more different perspective.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It all evens out in the end. As long as the outfields are adequate size, the pace of the outfield makes little difference and its the same for both teams so it shouldn't worry the bowlers.
It should. I'm not talking about things being the same for both teams, but trying to maintain the all-important balance between ball and bat.
Besides, if you're an opening bowler and bowling lightening quick, and if you're nicked through the slips for 4. its tough luck that the fielders weren't good enough or not placed in the correct position. However, if you're top edged for 6, then things start to take a far more different perspective.
Not entirely sure what that has to do with the balance between bat and ball TBH.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Personally, the whole super-charged bat thing is over-blown. They're still wood no matter which way you look at it or how much stuff you add to the handle. I would say changes in technique and training have brought about more of the six-hitting than anything. Batsmen work harder at hitting the ball in the air and are just encouraged to be more attacking these days. It's riskier play but bigger scores gotten quicker are the result.

Slowing up the outfield is a horrific idea. I personally want to see this 'balance between bat and ball' maintained by the application of skills by players, not by the curtailment of them. Very little more frustrating to watch than a good shot going 3/4 to the boundary. What happens when batsmen see a slow outfield? They go aerial. This sort of thing will just encourage that sort of player more than they deserve.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
It should. I'm not talking about things being the same for both teams, but trying to maintain the all-important balance between ball and bat.

Not entirely sure what that has to do with the balance between bat and ball TBH.
Like i said before, this all-important balance can be easily established through green (or bowler friendly) wickets, while batsmen get value for their shots i.e. quick outfields. This balance is ultimately corrupted by boundaries that are way too short (e.g Top edges going for 6) and wickets that are inherently flat and favour the batsmen. There are far more important issues in attempting to balance the battle between bat and ball than the speed of outfields - Which is just simply frustrating for spectators as well.

Top_Cat

What about if it brings about the opportunity to see some better fielding?
I don't see how. It just means a ball which would have gone into the fence is able to be pulled back and throw in. That's retrieval, not fielding in my book.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I don't see how. It just means a ball which would have gone into the fence is able to be pulled back and throw in. That's retrieval, not fielding in my book.
I think it also encourages better captaincy in terms of field placement

Top_Cat

It'd allow more diving stops, for one thing.
But it's contrived. Much like roping in boundaries to encourage 6's. Devalues the skill required for a good stop if the ball is un-naturally slowed down to give the fielder a chance.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Define "unnaturally". There's no "too slow", same way as there's no "too fast", in anything except the perception of the individual.

Personally I think outfields are in general a tad too fast at present.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Disagree. Short outfields are the most frusrating thing for a bowler.
A sharp ridge (up or down) on the pitch between the edge of the cut strip and the bowling crease is the most frustrating and damaging for my bowling.