• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Slow clap....

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
You saying the mods can't have fun on this forum?

You'd forget we are talking about volunteer moderation of a cricket forum the way you carry on

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
FWIW I thought the Feldman line from Cribb was gold. Most of the rest of the thread was clearly a complete dumpster fire though

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Everyone knows this thread only exists because you just copped a ban.

Yes and if you actually gave a **** instead of posting the whole missive in order to wedge the mods about your own ban, you wouldn't have included the bolded, would you?

I made an error of judgement as to the nature of a thread and closed to about six posts later than I should have, and I apologised for it. Stuff like that happens all the time with volunteer moderation teams on forums across the internet, and it always will. I don't think it's the scandal of the century and I don't think you do either. We know what you're doing. Whenever you cop seven you send a couple of emails, then come back and kick up as big a stink as possible about whatever issues pop up for three weeks in attempts to make us subconsciously think "ugh it's not actually worth banning for a week if we have to deal with all that will follow", so you can go on dropping veiled personal attacks left, right and centre.

And the emails you actually do send. Ugh. I'm not going to breach your privacy by actually quoting them, but when you start emails by aggressively asking if we're kidding ourselves, or put up defences that are clearly in no way mitigating like asking us to explain why something isn't true (newsflash: nowhere in the rules does it say personal attacks have to false for them to get infractions) then yeah we probably won't bother replying. Asking you to email us instead of ranting on the forum was in no way a promise to actually reply to the emails; we were just making it clear that it was preferred method of receiving of your rants.

Our moderation of 5-point infractions is never going to perfectly consistent. I can't promise it will be and neither can anyone else who'd be appointed in my place. But if you consistently post how you do, every so often you're going to cop three of them and have a week off. Sometimes the three won't even be for your three worst posts, but it's bit like what happens if you consistently speed on the highway. You might get pulled up going 4km/hr over the speed limit when you sometimes go more than 12 and get away with it, but if you do all the time you're eventually going to be sat down for a little while. I love you as a forum personality and I still want to buy you that beer so we can chat in person instead of this less-good dispute resolution platform, but when you're this guy then copping short bans sometimes is basically an occupational hazard. If you don't want it to happen then change your posting habits.

I hope you appreciate the honest and public response as opposed to the canned annoying corporate speak I could've given you instead, but I know there's an even chance you'll just call it unprofessional and declare my position untenable instead. Meh.
Then what is the ****ing point of inviting it? You of all people can't claim to be too busy ffs. The request to respond by email to moderator action isn't an individual thing, it's standard practice and has been for years.

I'd be KO'ed by a feather if what you've just posted is an honest response btw.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Then what is the ****ing point of inviting it?
To keep this sort of **** off the forum.

When we get respectful emails asking us to clarify a rule or a ruling, we do reply to them. When someone gets a week off and sends us an angry rant or a demand, meh. We'd still rather not have those on the forum, so either way email is preferred. It increases your chances a reply (not to 100%, but to something above 0% if your emails aren't your emails) and keeps it off the forum.

I'd be KO'ed by a feather if what you've just posted is an honest response btw.
In what way don't you think it was honest? Like I could have just said I apologised to stephen and left the thread but this was never more than about 20% about that and we both know it.

We also both know I wouldn't have given you the infraction you got to get banned, because I told you that off-forum. But you also know that if you cut it so close to the line all the time and make 200 almost-intractable posts a month you risk getting three close together from different mod interpretations and sitting out a week. Making us go through all this **** every time you get a ban isn't going to make it less likely for you to get one, no matter how tedious you try to make the banning Burgey process.

I misread the nature of the thread, and I think my posts in it absolutely back that up. I jokingly suggested he was a cricketer he's routinely defended against GAS. If someone suggested I was Jason Krejza or Shane Watson I wouldn't consider that a "pile on". And neither would you if this happened three weeks ago. Once I became aware he didn't like the thread and people started posting less flattering things in it I closed it (as I should have done originally -- but I misread it, principally because Gob is kinda hard to read). Less than perfect moderation but the job is going to have to pay a lot more than zero before that stops happening, and at that point you will always get a reply to your emails but it'll be a stock copy/paste and we'll have a LoonyBoB clone banning half the site.

Last edited:

Burgey

Don't be coming in here stinking up my rant-a-thon with posts which are making you likable ffs. That's not what this thread is for.

I should say though, it's a bold presumption on any of your parts to think you deserve a respectful email ffs.

Last edited:

Burgey

The emails are like the Thylacine and Spark's sense of humour. People claim to have seen them, but there's no verifiable proof of their continued existence.

Burgey

What a thing to get so worked up about. Burgey confirmed as yet another sensitive Australian.
Just what we need. Gandhi Daemon to the rescue. I will, of course, be reporting this post as the racist stereotype it unquestionably is.

Last edited:

Daemon

Interesting to note that every complaint Burgey has with the moderators is addressed by the GALP system.

Daemon

He's not really that worked up about it, it's just the first piece of objectively crap moderation that happened after his ban. :p
He was kinda worked up but once you exposed him for being childish he's trying to backtrack

Not a great day for Burgey Pty Ltd

Burgey

Only if they relate to you I think, given neither Burgey, CW or James are state agents.

If Burgey sent us an email calling Maximas a **** it might work, but alas no. Maybe next ban.
I don't think Maximas is a **** tbh. Be far more likely to send one calling Corrin a ****

Burgey

He was kinda worked up but once you exposed him for being childish he's trying to backtrack

Not a great day for Burgey Pty Ltd
I think you'll find shares in Burgey Pty Ltd are surging on the back of protecting a fellow forum member and having the mods invest time and energy dealing with this and in examining their own poor performance. I'd say a red letter day for our stocks and for the interns who put the work in.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I knew this thread would come up when I closed the other one. I promised myself I wouldn't reply to it, and yet here we are.

On the other hand Burgey seems much less angry and even said one of my posts made me seem likeable, so I think we've both had wins and losses here.