• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Simon Jones

Do England Need Simon Jones

• Yes

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • No

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Depends. I don't see that going in with a 4-man bowling attack is likely. If you were to do so, obviously, you could just go Hoggard-Jones-Flintoff-MSP, but I think a 5-man attack is much the most likely.

If Jones is fit I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing Liam or Saj in whatever game that is, but if neither play at all in the summer (both injury and poor form are almost inevitable to someone or other, there's even an outside chance of Hoggard suffering from one or the other) I'll be astounded. And Broad, too, TBH, even though he's still absurdly young.
I wasn't aware that James Anderson had been killed in a knife fight. An attack of Hoggard-Anderson-Flintoff-Jones-Panesar is a definite option IMO. Anderson is quite obviously a better bowler than Mahmood and Plunkett, and Harmison too if he's going to bowl like he has in the last year.

We all know Harmison will be there though so it's useless discussing a hypothetical attack which discludes him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It'll be a while before Anderson gets picked ahead of Harmison and I honestly don't believe he's unquestionably ahead of either Plunkett or Mahmood ATM.

Witness the "why did they pick Anderson ahead of Mahmood at the start of The Ashes" and the fact that STILL there's virtually no-one in the big positions saying "Mahmood's God-awful, don't let him anywhere near the England side".

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It'll be a while before Anderson gets picked ahead of Harmison and I honestly don't believe he's unquestionably ahead of either Plunkett or Mahmood ATM.

Witness the "why did they pick Anderson ahead of Mahmood at the start of The Ashes" and the fact that STILL there's virtually no-one in the big positions saying "Mahmood's God-awful, don't let him anywhere near the England side".
Yeah, as I said, it's purely hypothetical as the selectors would never go for it, but I certainly would.

Nishant

International 12th Man
Well... and... if Jones performs well it'd be difficult to include Mahmood when fit...

If you see what I mean... :unsure:
yh! i get what u mean.....jones would be preferred to mahmood in any case....and i'd agree with that TBH...mahmood is not consistent enough! With that said, what are the chances of jones playing really well after such a long time out! Its like with vaughan...he hasnt performed with that bat at all yet...he's in the team on the basis of his captaincy!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well Vaughan's never performed with the bat in ODIs so there's not really any change there! ;)

I don't know, as I said I was never quite so convinced by Jones as some and it'll be very interesting indeed to see what he does if he can get back to regular playing.

cover drive man

International Captain

Imao I don't particulary rate anderson.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nor me but there's no denying he's not been the most fortunate lad in The World.

EIGHT pratts who voted "no"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pasag

RTDAS
Nor me but there's no denying he's not been the most fortunate lad in The World.

Meh, non-public polls don't mean anything (to me) around here.

andmark

International Captain
if we get rid of Harmison mahmood and Jones can be in the squad

Imagine

Andrew Flintoff
Mathew Hoggard
Sajd Mahmood
Simon Jones
and Monty Panesar

That's a strong bowling line up anf we played with five bowlers in the ashes 2005.
Drop Mahmood and get Harmy
Not 2005 Ashes but better.What a bowling attack!!!

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Well 'need' is a very strong word and I voted no.

If it was termed 'would be helped by' then I would vote yes.

However from my POV, there are 28 pratts that voted Yes. I mean since he has been injured has English cricket ceased to exist and been wiped from the face of the planet? (and yes, I did watch that Ashes)

He is a good cricketer, but he doesnt wear his pants outside his cricket whites.

cover drive man

International Captain

However from my POV, there are 28 pratts that voted Yes. I mean since he has been injured has English cricket ceased to exist and been wiped from the face of the planet? (and yes, I did watch that Ashes)

He is a good cricketer, but he doesnt wear his pants outside his cricket whites.

And for me it's need that's why I made the poll "need Simon Jones"

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I agree with Goughy "need" is a very strong word. He's too injury-prone to rely on, same as NZ with Bond or Pakistan with Akthar, if you bank on a crock, your only letting yourself in for a world of pain.

If the question was "is England a better team with a fit Jones in it", then everyone should vote yes.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

I've tended to read "need" as "would be better with than without".

"Need" in the most literal sense-of-the-word is something that doesn't exist in cricket.