• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Simon Jones

Do England Need Simon Jones

• Yes

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • No

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Even Andrew Robert Charles Flintoff?
Well, I hope we won't need him, not least because I don't see him staying fit enough for much longer. Obviously that means developing a decent 2 or 3 quicks pdq, but you have to hope that we can do something like that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's not Gus' middle-names (though obviously they are the same), it's "Jack" Russell's 2 first-names - I was thinking a combination of Andrew "Freddie" Flintoff's skills with bat and ball and Robert Charles "Jack" Russell's with the wicketkeeping gloves might be kinda useful...

Just my idea of a joke, not something I'd expect anyone else to understand, obviously... 8-):sadwalk:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It's not Gus' middle-names (though obviously they are the same), it's "Jack" Russell's 2 first-names - I was thinking a combination of Andrew "Freddie" Flintoff's skills with bat and ball and Robert Charles "Jack" Russell's with the wicketkeeping gloves might be kinda useful...

Just my idea of a joke, not something I'd expect anyone else to understand, obviously... 8-):sadwalk:
I'm afraid it floated hamlessly over my head. Sorry. :(

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well, it really depends on your definition of "need."

Do England need Simon Jones to win test matches? No.
Do England need Simon Jones to win more test matches than not? No.
Do England need Simon Jones to be a strong test nation? No.
Do England need Simon Jones to be the best team they can be? Yes, but they also need ten specific other guys - one of which IMO is Chris Read who is quite poor.

Jones is most certainly over-rated in terms of his importance. He is obviously a very capable bowler when he gets it right - but he hasn't displayed anything like the consistency you'd want, and given his injury, any actual improvement he made just before it could well be lost. I honestly don't think he's a significantly better bowler than Harmison or Anderson, although I'd still have him in my best XI.. I just don't think he'd make that much of a difference.

Nishant

International 12th Man
Jones is a key player for england..i mean simon jones btw.....but if the other bowlers like mahmood perform well, it wud be difficult to include simon jones when he is fit.

Nishant

International 12th Man
here's a q for u (dont know if it has been asked b4)....

if steve harmison was to get figures like 3-40, 5-50, 4-60, 6-60 in 4 consecutive matches in domestic cricket , on flat pitches.....would u want him back into the englamd team to face india in july?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
here's a q for u (dont know if it has been asked b4)....

if steve harmison was to get figures like 3-40, 5-50, 4-60, 6-60 in 4 consecutive matches in domestic cricket , on flat pitches.....would u want him back into the englamd team to face india in july?
Depends. I wouldn't select him against WI, and if the guys picked for that series did well enough then I'd stick with them, whatever Harmy did in the CC.

Unfortunately, Neil's probably right.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Jones is overrated IMO. He bowled sensationally in the first-innings of Old Trafford and Trent Bridge in 2005 and did more than most to win that series, but he hasn't done much else of note except get gifted good figures with ordinary bowling - some of the time.

Equally, you'd be a fool if you didn't wish he'd played instead of the Plunketts of this World...
Pretty much my feelings.

Safe to say that before The Ashes I didn't rate Jones at all, and after it I could definitely see the fuss, but he needed to do it more often.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jones is a key player for england..i mean simon jones btw.....but if the other bowlers like mahmood perform well, it wud be difficult to include simon jones when he is fit.
Well... and... if Jones performs well it'd be difficult to include Mahmood when fit...

If you see what I mean... :unsure:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Depends. I wouldn't select him against WI, and if the guys picked for that series did well enough then I'd stick with them, whatever Harmy did in the CC.
But do you really see the Liams and Sajs of this World doing so? Or the Broads, FTM?
Unfortunately, Neil's probably right.
It's a reality we should accept, as I've said a few times.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Depends. I don't see that going in with a 4-man bowling attack is likely. If you were to do so, obviously, you could just go Hoggard-Jones-Flintoff-MSP, but I think a 5-man attack is much the most likely.

If Jones is fit I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing Liam or Saj in whatever game that is, but if neither play at all in the summer (both injury and poor form are almost inevitable to someone or other, there's even an outside chance of Hoggard suffering from one or the other) I'll be astounded. And Broad, too, TBH, even though he's still absurdly young.