• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Teenage International Cricketers be Allowed?

Flem274*

123/5
So growing up I thought it was pretty cool Sachin Tendulkar was 16 and playing for his country. Every kid wishes they could do that.

Looking back at it now though, and having worked with teenagers....can't say it sits too well with me tbh. A 19 year old is very young to be in such an environment with grown adults but it can work (I have managed older teenagers and you do need to treat them a little differently to a 25 year old), and a 16 year old is a child.

Tendulkar got through fine but that is survivorship bias imo. Child actors and children in any line of work really often have serious issues later in life and often have very strong protections in place. As far as I'm aware a teenager in cricket is treated like an adult.

16 year olds have full time employment everywhere in the world but the major difference is they go home at the end of the day. A child in a cricket team is on tour for weeks, away from family and other support in, let's be honest, a high pressure environment full of highly competitive men and often man-children.

I do worry about the next child who is good enough before they finish school. The most recent I can think of is Amelia Kerr who began at 16 and took an extended mental health break before she even turned 22 and that's in a game that is still professionalizing. A male child is coming into a landscape that has escalated from even Tendulkar's time in terms of demand on player time and spotlight with a 12 month calendar, three formats and a lot of franchise cricket.

They will also miss out on just being a kid. I know any 16 year old would say **** that and want to play (I would have) but I think being free to be a young adult is undervalued in professional sportspeople. The oval ball codes in particular might avoid a few behavioral issues if they weren't pushing teenagers hard and early.

Are we putting sports entertainment ahead of the well-being of teenagers, or am I just the fun police?

Socerer 01

International Captain
the alternative would be them not earning fair opportunities and money that they deserve and is that fair?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think it would be simpler if boards would let parents travel with the kids like they allow the partners for other players. Maybe ICC can put in some rules that way.

Flem274*

123/5
There are few sports that don't do this now. As a matter of fact I think cricket gets it players going professionally quite late compared to other sports.
I thought about race car drivers too. That also has a weird dynamic, with a bunch of suits making teenagers duke it out for Formula 1 spots only to pick the pay driver with the rich daddy.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought about race car drivers too. That also has a weird dynamic, with a bunch of suits making teenagers duke it out for Formula 1 spots only to pick the pay driver with the rich daddy.
I was thinking of motorcycle racing which these days gets riders onto the professional pathway at fourteen or so. It's also got a whole host of other issues too that are very problematic for the sport, but I'm in no mood to type the required rant (it's something I get apoplectic about cause it's so stupid).

But also look at, say, AFL. Rookie contracts are given to players of 18-19 or so. The competition has a big player roster and good pay and the best young players can be fairly confident (injuries aside) of a good career. In comparison cricket players usually only establish at First Class level at 22-23 or even older, and internationally around 25 or so. The professional pool is a lot smaller and easier to be displaced from. That's why cricket has a huge problem in this country of losing potential talent, especially for fast bowling, to AFL. You can start at nineteen in a competition with about 400 available spots and more ability to change roles, or you can compete for 25-odd fast bowling spots across the Shield and Australian teams.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I’m all for them playing - if they have the talent. I just think they need to be monitored and supported and also for them to be able to properly complete their education etc. and actually have something to fall back on in case they’re outta the game in 5 years for whatever reason.

Also **** yes I’m glad someone mentioned pay drivers. Holy crap that **** pisses me off in auto racing. See: Jack Smith

Ali TT

International Debutant
Are you just trying to protect kids from the pressure and attention from playing international sport only (or the IPL and equivalent leagues), or also the demands placed on them being developed as young talents from school age onwards? As I think if you're going to prevent u18s or u21s playing top level cricket you also need to do slow down the development path too to really make a difference to the issue you raise, if it really is one. After all, it's not only at full international level that players go on tour - there's A-teams, u19s, county pre-season tours, "wintering" with clubs across the other side of the globe, academies etc.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shouldn’t be allowed to drink before they’re 18, like everyone else

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
If they have achieved a level that would make them good enough to play at an international level, they would have had a fair taste of experience playing at a very high level. This would have entailed training, travel and interaction with mature professionals.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Certainly didn't expect to see Jack bloody Smith of all people mentioned here on CW

Honestly pay drivers have been a thing in motorsport for almost as long as motorsport has existed, it's not ideal, but if the alternative is ever shrinking grid sizes I find it hard to get too bothered by a few rich kids running around at the back of the field