• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Smith have been allowed a runner?

Should Smith have been allowed a runner?

• Total voters

G.I.Joe

International Coach
so will they remove anwars record now ?? :)
If the PCB can push for the Oval test to be declared abandoned retrospectively, surely the good men there can push for revoking its status second highest ODI score too, for the sake of consistency. :) Although I suspect its that bully BCCI using its money power to kill off any such attempts on the part of the PCB.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just for the record, I thought Strauss was extremely sporting when he called Angelo Mathews back the crease, and deserves all the kudos coming his way for upholding the spirit of the game in the match against Sri Lanka....

However, the opposite has happened here, and Strauss deserves any criticism coming his way. Especially since England batsmen have used runners for batsmen who've suffered from cramp this decade, including Trescothick and Bell, as far as I can remember. There is also a columnist on the BBC who recalls an ODI last year in India when Shah and Prior developed cramps and used Bell as a runner.

So, this sudden change of attitude by Strauss towards using a runner for cramp
is a bit disingenuous, and it will be interesting to see how long he and his team maintain that stance....
What the hell did any of the previous incidents have to do with Strauss?

You're bringing up the one-way hypocrisy from earlier in the thread. "Another English player used a runner for cramp once, when Strauss wasn't captain and had no say in the running of the team, therefore he's a hypocrite!"

shivfan

Banned
What the hell did any of the previous incidents have to do with Strauss?

You're bringing up the one-way hypocrisy from earlier in the thread. "Another English player used a runner for cramp once, when Strauss wasn't captain and had no say in the running of the team, therefore he's a hypocrite!"
Sorry, I wasn't clear there....

I meant that in his position as England captain, considering that English players had benefitted from runners for cramp. YOu can't have rules being changed according to who's captain of the England side. What happens if Strauss is injured and Cook becomes captain? Would the policy on runners for cramp change again?

But this is an academic debate only now, because the ICC have finally been forced to rule on this issue, and hopefully there should be more clarity on the issue from now on....

That said, this now opens a brand new can of worms. What if Smith retired injured, and wanted to return to bat at the fall of another wicket? Would Strauss have refused him the permission to return to the crease?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Why? Unless they've changed, the laws state that the batsman can resume his innings at the fall of the next wicket.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:huh:

Pretty sure that the captain has to give the OK to a batsman who retired hurt coming back in.
Says the laws:

9. Batsman leaving the field or retiring
A batsman may retire at any time during his innings. The umpires, before allowing play to proceed, shall be informed of the reason for a batsman retiring.
(a) If a batsman retires because of illness, injury or any other unavoidable cause, he is entitled to resume his innings subject to (c) below. If for any reason he does not do so, his innings is to be recorded as -Retired 'not out'.
(b) If a batsman retires for any reason other than as in (a) above, he may only resume his innings with the consent of the opposing captain. If for any reason he does not resume his innings it is to be recorded as -Retired 'out'.
(c) If after retiring a batsman resumes his innings, it shall be only at the fall of a wicket or the retirement of another batsman.
So technically speaking, the captain only gets a say if the batsman's retired for some other reason.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So what? He also then retired hurt from the cramps that game, so maybe Smith should've done that if it was so bad?

I don't think the conditions were as bad the other night that half the players were suffering from cramps, unlike that game.

As I said earlier, this has proved quite convenient for SA as it seems to have overshadowed them making yet another pathetic showing when it really counted - when in effect it is a complete non-event.

So what? He also then retired hurt from the cramps that game, so maybe Smith should've done that if it was so bad?

I don't think the conditions were as bad the other night that half the players were suffering from cramps, unlike that game.

As I said earlier, this has proved quite convenient for SA as it seems to have overshadowed them making yet another pathetic showing when it really counted - when in effect it is a complete non-event.
It was also convenient for Strauss to have a runner when he cramped and then turn around and say "My personal view is that you shouldn't get a runner for cramps, full stop" when someone else cramps.

It just shows how England only pay lip service to the spirit of cricket.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It was also convenient for Strauss to have a runner when he cramped and then turn around and say "My personal view is that you shouldn't get a runner for cramps, full stop" when someone else cramps.

It just shows how England only pay lip service to the spirit of cricket.
Yea wouldn't want to take the hypocrite title from Ricky Ponting.