• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shoaib 2, Asif 1. Both banned

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FRAZ said:
I said that "Its your personal right of freedom of speech" ! And you can say whatever want to say and I was saying that pressed and low mentalities of my own authorities will remain the same !

Ahh, wells that clear as mud then, time to move on I guess.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Xuhaib said:
98% of the people involved in our FC cricket are also iliterate villagers, so for the past 6 years this naive cricketer has been surrounded by more naive people.
Of course he has, which of course therefore suggests that pretty much every person involved in the national side is an illiterate villager as well then.

Pull the other one.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JASON said:
There's double standards here !!

If Shane Warne gets away with only 1 year , Why does Shoaib get 2 years ?

WTF is wrong with the people who make these kind of decisions ?
Well one minor thing might be the whole standing of Cricket within WADA.

Another might be the fact that Warne didn't test positive for any performance enhancer...

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Of course he has, which of course therefore suggests that pretty much every person involved in the national side is an illiterate villager as well then.

Pull the other one.
I'd say Xuhaib knows a fair bit more about Pakistani cricket than you.

FRAZ

International Captain
Dasa said:
A patent fact that 95 % of the players emerge from the rural backgrounds , And thier knowledge about different things is quite limited and I don't think that 85% of the players playing FC there even know any thing about the drugs .
Shoaib is a knowledgeable body builder and he is from Rawalpindi (Big city) . I remember that "Mega Moss" was quite popular in the Lahori gyms and thats the only suppliment I knew about in those days !

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
marc71178 said:

Pull the other one.
How many people do you know of who can actually speak english in the Pakistani team? Yeah they are mostly villagers.

Dravid

International Captain
He seems to know a lot about law and what's legal and illegal now that he decided to appeal the decision of PCB despite being from a village.

You can't use that as an excuse that he didn't know what the drug was. If he didn't, he should have asked the team physio or a board member before using it. If a person comes from a village and commits a crime in the city your going to let him off the hook easily just because he's from the village and he doesn't know whats what?

adharcric

International Coach
Dravid said:
He seems to know a lot about law and what's legal and illegal now that he decided to appeal the decision of PCB despite being from a village.

You can't use that as an excuse that he didn't know what the drug was. If he didn't, he should have asked the team physio or a board member before using it. If a person comes from a village and commits a crime in the city your going to let him off the hook easily just because he's from the village and he doesn't know whats what?
A one-year ban is not letting him off the hook easily.
It's merely a weaker punishment for someone who may not have been aware of what he did. Anyways, I don't know what's going on with this and I'm not getting involved in this debate.

I'm pretty sure that after appealing against this nonsense decision made by a committee consisting of 3 idiots,Shoaib Akhtar's ban would be reduced to 6 months + heavy fine & Mohammad Asif's ban to 3 months(or a period of few weeks) + heavy fine.I pray to God that atleast Mohamad Asif plays the 2007 World Cup.

adharcric

International Coach
BhupinderSingh said:
I'm pretty sure that after appealing against this nonsense decision made by a committee consisting of 3 idiots,Shoaib Akhtar's ban would be reduced to 6 months + heavy fine & Mohammad Asif's ban to 3 months(or a period of few weeks) + heavy fine.I pray to God that atleast Mohamad Asif plays the 2007 World Cup.
Please explain why this is a nonsense decision.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dasa said:
So you're saying that someone can be involved in high standards of Cricket for 6 years, but not know a think about drugs in sport etc?

Ignorance is not a valid excuse.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BhupinderSingh said:
Why exactly?

They've been caught fair and square, and even turned down the B sample testing.

Why should they have such small bans in this case?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
So you're saying that someone can be involved in high standards of Cricket for 6 years, but not know a think about drugs in sport etc?
That's not what I nor anyone else has been saying. The point is that it is possible to play a high standard of cricket for many years while still being naive about drugs in the sport. Did Asif know drugs existed in sport? Probably.
Did he know what he was doing and that it was wrong? It's certainly possible that he didn't.
marc71178 said:
As far as I can see, Xuhaib nor most people (probably none) are saying that it is an excuse.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Anyone who doesnt question what they are given to put into their body, really has no excuse if it turns out to be illigal later on down the road.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
marc71178 said:

No one is saying its an excuse. I feel for Asif (not Shoib) but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be banned at least as long as Warne was.

I feel Asif's story is probably more accurate than Warne's and especially Shoibh's, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be punished.

I am fine with the decision.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Under the ICC's doping rules, a two-year ban is the minimum penalty for a first offence.

So why do people keep saying these bans are harsh and Shoaib has been made an example of?!? If they'd been caught in an ICC test they'd have gotten longer, they got off lightly. The minimum ban would have been more appropriate in Asif's case, Shoaib knows what he's doing and should have gotten longer than the minimum. Warne got off lightly earlier because the rules, minimum sentences and so on weren't properly in place then, he still should have gotten at least 2 years.

Dravid

International Captain
Another thing, if Muhammad Asif is a Cricketer, then I'm pretty sure he knew who Warne is and what happen to him a few years ago. After knowing what happen to him, how can you say that he didn't know he could get in trouble for taking certain drugs.

FRAZ

International Captain
Dravid said:
Another thing, if Muhammad Asif is a Cricketer, then I'm pretty sure he knew who Warne is and what happen to him a few years ago. After knowing what happen to him, how can you say that he didn't know he could get in trouble for taking certain drugs.
Hey ! It's been like a third day I have seen you not understanding what is being said and what are the consequences. Either you just wanna say some thing but you want to go against a person who was banned and was a Pakistani bowler . Now don't jut BS afterwards that "I am an In-general" fan . These things have pissed me off before and quite a headache for me .
Don't you even know how is the educational background of som e people coming from the villages of sub-continent?
I am not from a village itself but have social ties with one and I know that the educational level or mind set up is so low that it is such an amazing thing .
who the **** is saying over here that Shoaib DID not know about drugs . Who the **** is saying that . show me the **** in post over here . Now these are the things upon which I was laid off and I feel sorry for Sanz that he claims to be an honest person but my "Mongolian" jokes were giving him trouble and on such cases he wont comment ...
Get a proper life !

Last edited by a moderator:

Dravid

International Captain
No Fraz I'm not just talking about you, my post was also pointed to other people like BhupinderSingh who believe Asif's punishment was too harsh

FRAZ

International Captain
BhupinderSingh said:
I agree as far as Asif's case is concerned . Though I am the heaviest and the biggest fan of Shoaib (And it's noted in the history of CW ) ,I have to say that 1 year ban plus heavy fine is necessary plus both the players should agree upon one thing that IF EVER found again then life ban is mandatory!
I totally feel for the guy "Asif" ,cuz I have seen all of his interviews and the talk shows about him , he seems quite un-educated and un-aware of different things . Plus he is absolutely new to the game and hailed from "Machikay" (Sheikhupura) . My ancestral village is near Gujrat and it's only 2 hour ride away from Lahore but one can clearly see the difference of life . Taut Schools , Hand carved wickets , wicked Masters , chopping Pathay , Extracting Dhar from Buffalo , Pathian , long walks , Bela (jungle) journey to get Balan (wood) for fire , getting water from Khoo , And getting shower at Tube well etc etc etc are the things which are so different from a student going on AC car to the FC college Lahore and in the evening playing cricket at the gymkhana club and doing heavy exercise at the Chaps club and having the facility of Bowling instead of BANTAYS ... There is a hell lota difference , As a former resident of Lahore I know that !!!

Last edited: