• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sheep Draft version 4.0

Justo

U19 Debutant
Time to break out the shears.

1. Bill Lawry*
2. Terry Jarvis (***)
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Vijay Merchant
5. Ronnie Irani (6) (***)
6. Trevor Chappell (5) (***)
7. Brendon McCullum +
8. Daniel Vettori (4)
9. Paul Reiffel (3)
10. Joel Garner (1)
11. Courtney Walsh (2)

12. Abul Hasan (***)

Ultimately I was hit hard early on and 3 sheep by the end of the second round was going to be hard to come back from. Have a decent attack with a lot of overs most likely to be bowled by Garner and Walsh although I don't think the other options are poor (actually think Vettori was a gun pick for the Jayasuria question). Batting while weak is at least quite deep with Reiffel down at 9. Add another genuine batsmen and I'd actually consider it a decent team.

Either way its been a great draft. Thanks Nufan.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Kudos to you for sticking it out Justo after a sheep filled start. I think you covered your weaknesses well with Vettori and Reiffel excellent number 8 and 9's.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was 100% certain that Fred would go with Larwood, wanted him myself but did not have the heart to ban him.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Geoff Boycott
Shoaib Mohammad
Rohan Kanhai
Bill Ponsford
Mark Waugh
Arjuna Ranatunga
Peter Burge (+)
Jason Gillespie
Rev. Wes Hall
David O'Sullivan
Tom Richardson

team average will poll averagely

ok let's do this again starting tomorrow. everytime we do these it takes me until r5 to remember how i should play

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
1. Conrad Hunte
2. Herbie Taylor
3. Bob Cowper
4. Norm O'Neill
5. Peter May*
6. Bev Congdon
7. Jack Blackham+
8. Ray Lindwall
9. Fred Trueman
10. Frank Tyson
11. Muttiah Muralitharan

Thanks to Nufan.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Excellent team Andy! I think that it's main strength could be the abundance of bowlers. Just a hunch.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
HONEST HUNKS

Graham Gooch (c)
virender Sehwag
Gary Kirsten
Ted Dexter
Sir Clyde Walcott (wk)
Doug Walters
Wasim Bari
Mitchell Starc
Dale Steyn
Joey Palmer
Bishen Bedi

12th Man: HD Ackerman

Kinda happy with this team so far.. got a very good and interesting opening combination.. Decent middle order since I can get rid of the sheep pick :)
and a LOT of bowling options.. Left arm and Right arm fast swing, as well as good right arm medium pace and an offie and a SLA who are ATGs and a leggie who
is more than useful.. I think this will end up as one of those sides which looks a lot less impressive on paper than it actually would be if the said XI
takes the field.

Pothas

Majid Khan
Andrew Strauss
Hashim Amla
Zaheer Abbas
AB de Villiers
Tony Greig
Nathan Astle
Dennis Lillee
Alec Bedser
Bob Willis
Stuart MacGill

Hamish Marshall

Solid enough. Not normally a fan of keeepers who did not do it for the majority of their career but looks like AB is going to do it for a while.

Pothas

Majid Khan
Andrew Strauss
Hashim Amla
Zaheer Abbas
AB de Villiers
Tony Greig
Nathan Astle
Dennis Lillee
Alec Bedser
Bob Willis
Stuart MacGill

Hamish Marshall

Solid enough. Not normally a fan of keeepers who did not do it for the majority of their career but looks like AB is going to do it for a while.

watson

Banned
Majid Khan
Andrew Strauss
Hashim Amla
Zaheer Abbas
AB de Villiers
Tony Greig
Nathan Astle
Dennis Lillee
Alec Bedser
Bob Willis
Stuart MacGill

Hamish Marshall

There are some very nice bowling attacks created under difficult circumstances: Lilllee-Willis-Bedser-MacGill-Greig is one of them.

Nothing wrong with the batting line-up either.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Okay, so I'll put everyone's team into the one post shortly and then we can start the votes. I'm just waiting on Fred's final XI as I'm unsure 100% who will get dropped for Larwood.

Also The Honest Hunks, you wrote the wrong Wasim, its meant to be Raja, I was slightly concerned for a minute there as I thought I had allowed two people the same Cricketer as Morgie has Wasim Bari.

In the mean time, looking at the teams and the questions again I didn't realize how difficult I made it for you guys to select some ATG batsman. It was a plan of mine to not allow Bradman to get into any team which I guess made it hard for me to make questions about good batting feats as he'd be in the list. Also which question was the hardest? The vowels one or the worse average than Jayasuriya I'm guessing.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Okay, so I'll put everyone's team into the one post shortly and then we can start the votes. I'm just waiting on Fred's final XI as I'm unsure 100% who will get dropped for Larwood.

Also The Honest Hunks, you wrote the wrong Wasim, its meant to be Raja, I was slightly concerned for a minute there as I thought I had allowed two people the same Cricketer as Morgie has Wasim Bari.

In the mean time, looking at the teams and the questions again I didn't realize how difficult I made it for you guys to select some ATG batsman. It was a plan of mine to not allow Bradman to get into any team which I guess made it hard for me to make questions about good batting feats as he'd be in the list. Also which question was the hardest? The vowels one or the worse average than Jayasuriya I'm guessing.
The Question that resulted in the most Sheep was the probably the hardest? From memory that would be the AEIOU Question.

In hindsight I think that the following method may work;

Hard Questions (Small Pool)
.1 = Choose Moderate player
.2 = Choose Obscure player
.3 = Choose Obscure player

Easy Questions (Large Pool)
.1 = Choose ATG
.2 = Choose Moderate player
.3 = Choose Obscure player

Note: Obscure player does not mean a bad player

The mistake I made was to choose Obscure players too early for easy Questions. I chickened out.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Its hard to say though as we had a few drop outs which in a way made it easier the further we went along.

I was really surprised that no one went for Terry Alderman in the vowel question but I guess all it takes is for someone to think he'd already been chosen to not bother going for him. I like running this sort of draft, the wait for version 5.0 will be shorter compared to the wait before 4.0 .

fredfertang

Can't leave Lol out so apologies to Amar Singh

1. Archie Jackson
2. Bob Barber

3. Graeme Pollock
4. Basil D’Oliveira
5. *Bill Alley
6. Eddie Paynter
7. +Tiger Smith
8. Harold Larwood
9. Bill Voce