• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne dead at 52

CharlesLara

U19 12th Man
can't believe it...

First came across the man at my first ever live Test at Kingsmead in 1994, standing by that brick wall and was greeted by him.
Fast forward to 2005 and I'm a net bowler to THAT Aussie Test side. Spoke with every player for an extended period of time for that week, but with Warne I was in TOTAL awe, I was too nervous HA!. Imagine the greatest version EVER (fThe Perfect Cell of Leg Spin) of the thing you aspire to be standing in front of you in the flesh, 2 up, 2 down, tossing the ball from on hand to another.

I watched him bowl to a stump and Gilchrist for about 15-20 minutes before it rained, and it's still a dreamlike memory as you were so transfixed on the idea that you were lucky to even get to a glimpse of a true, true genius at work, if even for a second.

RIP to a once in a lifetime, genius of the game.

Last edited:

slippy888

International Captain
Need that song by sinead o'connor in this thread it called nothing compared it reminds me of warne he a legend

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Still in shock even after a sleep. Remains the most iconic cricketer of my generation, and a showman beyond repair. Just added so, so much to the sport.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I only watched the tail end of his career and so it’d be a lie to say he was one of my favourites.

But he was so much larger than life and such a huge presence even after his playing days that this really feels like someone’s gone and sucked the air out of world cricket’s dressing room.

Unreal. RIP.

Last edited:

burr

State Vice-Captain
He changed cricket but didn't change it in a way because what he did can't be repeated or learned or modified and built upon. I was very lucky to be a child of the 90s and grow up watching him. Took it for granted back then of course because I didn't know anything else. Vale Shane Warne.

JBMAC

State Captain
Like all of you here i am shocked and deeply saddened by the death one of the true legends of our game. As well as an exceptional ability as a leggie he also bought a lot of charisma back into the game. I consider him in all forms of the game to have been a fierce competitor and would rank him at #2 after Bradman as the greatest Australian Cricketer of all time.

jcas0167

International Debutant
As a NZ fan I couldn't stand Warne in the early/mid 90's, he was just so good it almost seemed unfair. As time went on though it was hard not to admire his brilliance and showmanship. The fact that he wasn't perfect off the field probably made him more relatable. He was clearly generous too, being heavily involved in tsunami relief efforts for Sri Lanka in 2005 and lobbing up full tosses for John Key at the Basin Reserve to raise money for earthquake ravaged Christchurch. The way he interacted with the crowd that day and took time for kids seeking photos with him will be a lasting memory for me. A larger than life figure, gone way too soon.