• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne dead at 52

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Whose multi is HalBa?

It’s gotta be a multi of someone wHo otherwise tries to Be reasonable, However, can’t hide their Bias and tHeir Blatant Hatred towards all things aBout Australia and Australians.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Whose multi is HalBa?

It’s gotta be a multi of someone wHo otherwise tries to Be reasonable, However, can’t hide their Bias and tHeir Blatant Hatred towards all things aBout Australia and Australians.
Australians are the worst, to be fair.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Larger than life character...one of those people you assumed was going to live and be lively well into old age.

Got a text from my sister when I woke up...been absolutely numb since then.

RIP Warnie

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Just totally stunned by this news.

Above all his immeasurable skills as a cricketer, he was probably the most prominent Australian sporting personality of the past 30 years; even after his retirement he was still massively prominent due to his social media and commentary work. It just makes his passing all the more shocking.

What a cricketer he was, there'll never be another like him.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Barely weeks ago most people including me were dishing up his commentary. Now what would I give to hear him behind the mike again even for a little while. Some times you just don't realise how precious things are before they are gone
Yeah I was one of those. Now via Kayo I just went back to listen to snippets of his commentary from the Oz v SL T20 less than two weeks ago.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Just announced that the Great Southern Stand at the MCG will be renamed after Warne.

This seems especially appropriate considering the first Test match that was played with the stand in operation - West Indies 1992 - was when Warne really made his mark on the international scene. And of course he was to have endless highlights at the ground over the years.

For Victoria's greatest ever cricketer it is the right call.

trundler

Just announced that the Great Southern Stand at the MCG will be renamed after Warne.

This seems especially appropriate considering the first Test match that was played with the stand in operation - West Indies 1992 - was when Warne really made his mark on the international scene. And of course he was to have endless highlights at the ground over the years.

For Victoria's greatest ever cricketer it is the right call.
They ought to introduce something in his name in the ongoing series too.

tony p

First Class Debutant
Quite sad reading the various tributes to Warnie on twitter and on various sites, but a comment Rod Bransgrove, the Hampshire chairman said about Warne when speaking about him was typical Shane I think.
They were speaking and Shane said to Bransgrove, " I've done some STUPID things, but I'm not STUPID", just bought a smile to my face.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
As a NZ fan I couldn't stand Warne in the early/mid 90's, he was just so good it almost seemed unfair. As time went on though it was hard not to admire his brilliance and showmanship. The fact that he wasn't perfect off the field probably made him more relatable. He was clearly generous too, being heavily involved in tsunami relief efforts for Sri Lanka in 2005 and lobbing up full tosses for John Key at the Basin Reserve to raise money for earthquake ravaged Christchurch. The way he interacted with the crowd that day and took time for kids seeking photos with him will be a lasting memory for me. A larger than life figure, gone way too soon.
Agree 100%

Shady Slim

International Coach
been thinking about it more. warnie's in that rare category of people where though some may match his accomplishments (and indeed in his case only one has to my mind, but to others they'd disagree), but there are just no others who could match the way he made you feel when he had you transfixed, up there with ali, bob hawke, walter cronkite, david bowie, whoever, people who, again, they move on, and someone else fills their seat, maybe even does the job at hand better than they do, but you just can't ever replicate the effect they had on you while they were in business. ah. reminds me of a quote, regarding ali actually, iirc, tbh, one that i first saw on this very site -

"He is Hercules, struggling through the twelve labors. He is Jason, chasing the Golden Fleece. He is Galahad, Cyrano, D'Artagnan. When he scowls, strong men shudder, and when he smiles, women swoon. The mysteries of the universe are his Tinker Toys. He rattles the thunder and looses the lightning"

SillyCowCorner1

been thinking about it more. warnie's in that rare category of people where though some may match his accomplishments (and indeed in his case only one has to my mind, but to others they'd disagree), but there are just no others who could match the way he made you feel when he had you transfixed, up there with ali, bob hawke, walter cronkite, david bowie, whoever, people who, again, they move on, and someone else fills their seat, maybe even does the job at hand better than they do, but you just can't ever replicate the effect they had on you while they were in business. ah. reminds me of a quote, regarding ali actually, iirc, tbh, one that i first saw on this very site -

"He is Hercules, struggling through the twelve labors. He is Jason, chasing the Golden Fleece. He is Galahad, Cyrano, D'Artagnan. When he scowls, strong men shudder, and when he smiles, women swoon. The mysteries of the universe are his Tinker Toys. He rattles the thunder and looses the lightning"
I strangely felt Volodymyr Zelensky here...

Victor Ian

International Coach
I'm one of the few who didn't mind his commentary. As I was driving in to work and turned the radio on and listened to what I thought were tributes to Marsh I couldn't help wonder why I was hearing Warne stories being mentioned. A real shock when I suspected why and flicked up Cricinfo hoping I was wrong. A lovable larrikin that everyone will miss.