• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne/BingLeeElectric etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know the last thread about this was closed, and I know I'm perhaps not currently in the best position to talk about how to improve CC but...

I can't be the only one who's getting utterly sick and tired of the constant Shane_Warne\BingLeeElectric aegae? I'm right in thinking that James is the only one who can actually push the BAN button, yes? And it's blatantly obvious that no sooner (perhaps even before in some cases) is one account banned then the next one pops-up. It's never taken long for us to spot his latest account, yet sometimes it takes days, even weeks, for the account to be banned, and in the meantime we have to put-up with all that utter rubbish. Given that James needs to work, eat, sleep and generally have a life, would it not be an idea, for as long as this goes on, for other Mods to be able to ban an account (given that it's rare for more than a couple of hours to go by without one being online)?

Is that feasible or even possible so far as vBulletin is concerned?

Just a suggestion... as it's presumably completely impossible to stop him registering new accounts, and by now it seems the realisation that he's not welcome here is no barrier.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Rich Twyman also has the ability to ban. Neil had it for a little while.

Basically, we can't use an IP ban because the IP continues to change. We've been keeping track roughly of whom we think his latest form is in the Moderator's forum. We'll continue to try and monitor it, but at times you can only do so much.

EDIT: changed the thread to make sure everyone knows what we're on about.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Rich Twyman also has the ability to ban. Neil had it for a little while.

Basically, we can't use an IP ban because the IP continues to change. We've been keeping track roughly of whom we think his latest form is in the Moderator's forum. We'll continue to try and monitor it, but at times you can only do so much.

EDIT: changed the thread to make sure everyone knows what we're on about.
There is actually a way of banning his computer if you install a downloadable vBulletin add-on...

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's not always just the last few numbers changing. It has been that at times. But other times it's been a completely different numerical combination.
:blink: interesting....

I suppose those occurences of it being a completely different numerical combination could be put down to him being in a different place of residence (eg. At work, friends place, if he has friends, and a job of course)

I don't think it is a good idea as it results in the problem of a Moderator banning people on things that James/Rich would let go. Leaving it to the head of the site creates less hassle and creates a feeling of where the boundaries are.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Can you link it so that it can be downloaded then?

Would this be the equivalent of someone eating his computer? ;)
It works on cookies - it saves a cookie to the person's computer when they log in under an account, and you can have any further accounts made from anyone with that cookie on their computer automatically banned, which wouldn't be reliant on IPs.

Of course, he'd probably figure it out and delete his cookies before creating a new account - especially given I've just posted this here and he's sure to read it!

I'll try to find the link for you. There's a version which simply emails the admins if someone logs onto two accounts with one computer - which is more common and more sneaky - but there's a variation of it which does the above which I came across once.

Rich2001

International Captain
is there no way of banning his IP range?
It's not always just the last few numbers changing. It has been that at times. But other times it's been a completely different numerical combination.
:blink: interesting....

I suppose those occurences of it being a completely different numerical combination could be put down to him being in a different place of residence (eg. At work, friends place, if he has friends, and a job of course)

It could be something to do with using different comps - but the common reason is Dial Up connections. If your on Dial Up your going through a ISP server and then your asigned an IP for that connection, the chances are your never get the same IP twice. We could ban the IP range but then anyone else who has that ISP provider would also get banned as a result, and we don't want that :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And to add to this... can someone do an IP-check on this chappie and compare it to the alexkumars of this World... for this reason, in case anyone's wondering...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
And to add to this... can someone do an IP-check on this chappie and compare it to the alexkumars of this World... for this reason, in case anyone's wondering...
Although I was first to notice that post, I looked over his other posts and I'm pretty sure he isn't Alex, unless he is deliberately posting significantly differently (in which case he doesn't seem to be a problem at the moment anyway).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well - no, but surely alexkumar was banned enough times to never be allowed back?

Seriously - have you ever seen anyone else make the utterly ridiculous assertion that beef-eating will invariably make you stronger? I sure haven't, certainly not on here. Especially about Indians?

I agree none of his other posts (though he has of times been anti-Tendulkar, even if the C word has never quite come-up) show anything obvious, but still - an IP check (and you never know, hopefully he might respond to the bait I laid in said thread) can't do any harm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.