• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Senanayake banned

91Jmay

International Coach
Suppose it is possible someone who is presumably right up against the limit (he certainly looks like he throws it to the naked eye so must be around the 15 degree) could deteriorate over time.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, in the end the first one was incomplete, it gave us a bloke who isn't an International cricketer unless he's chucking it. So it was either very wrong or e toned it down for the testing. Either way it's rubbish. The guy can't "bowl" he just can't.
You have no way of knowing that

Howe_zat

Audio File
Hopefully the positive we get out of this is more faith in the current testing and less calling out of people who have actually undergone testing and were cleared.
Solid point. I'm really surprised by this happening because I was sceptical that the test could fail.

viriya

International Captain
Nah, in the end the first one was incomplete, it gave us a bloke who isn't an International cricketer unless he's chucking it. So it was either very wrong or e toned it down for the testing. Either way it's rubbish. The guy can't "bowl" he just can't.
You can't accept one test and not the other just because you prefer the results of one of them.. Unless the ICC comes out and says the first test was done improperly this means that he action worsened after that test.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hopefully the positive we get out of this is more faith in the current testing and less calling out of people who have actually undergone testing and were cleared.
Can't agree with this. Just because someone's cleared, it doesn't mean some straightening can't creep into the action in the future. No one's cleared for life (even Senanayake was cleared in 2011). In fact it does the exact opposite... It shows that even when someone's cleared, there is no guarantee that the action will forever be clean.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
That's why more testing stations need to be set-up around the world so bowlers can be monitored more often, I mean, this is indeed a legitimate problem. I feel cheated as a SL fan, our victories in the Asia cup and the world t20 (where we relied a fair bit on him in big moments) feel a bit tainted given it's likely he was chucking in those tournaments, and he was a big part of our world cup plans too, but that's been thrown out of whack, while I'm glad we found out eventually it's a shame we only found out now

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You can't accept one test and not the other just because you prefer the results of one of them.. Unless the ICC comes out and says the first test was done improperly this means that he action worsened after that test.

I didn't accept the first one, which is rather my point. When did I say that I did? The action is terrible. Should never have been allowed to bowl.

Again the testing is a joke. Not sure I've been remotely inconsistent in this view. As soon as I saw his action it was one of the worst I've ever seen. I remarked on it too.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah, I don't think it taints any victory personally. Correct me if I am wrong, the 15 degree rule is really more about visual than effect on the amount of spin put on the ball isn't it?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
@grecian: He was cleared by the ICC having passed legitimate tests conducted by impartial scientists, yet he should never have been allowed to bowl? If testing is such a joke why should this round of tests be legitimate? you know, he doesn't look that bad to my eye, he shouldn't be banned IMO

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
I didn't accept the first one, which is rather my point. When did I say that I did? The action is terrible. Should never have been allowed to bowl.

Again the testing is a joke. Not sure I've been remotely inconsistent in this view. As soon as I saw his action it was one of the worst I've ever seen. I remarked on it too.
You clearly missed logic class.

a massive zebra

International Captain
I have no opinion on the legality of Senanayake's action as the rules currently stand, but if it was up to me, throwing would be legalised. Anything that makes the batsmans life more challenging should help to readdress the balance between bat and ball and make cricket a more interesting and engaging game all round. If someone with a "dodgy" action came along with the talent and skills to terrorise batsmen like Waqar Younis, Sydney Barnes, Muttiah Muralitharan or Malcolm Marshall have done in the past, surely the sport would be much the poorer for their absence, even if their action did not meet the current rules regarding legal bowling. Other than tradition, what possible reason can there be for this insistence on bowling the ball?

Last edited:

grecian

This is going to end well.
Nah don't worry about it, in the end as I keep on saying if people defend this guys action we're through the looking glass, and it pretty much shows that any persons action will be defended now. He's much, much, much worse than Murali, Ajmal and all the ones that have passed these tests before. Again the first test was lousy the second test just seems to have got it right, but because of the first test I still have no faith in the testing.

Not sure what's illogical about that.

Last edited:

grecian

I have no opinion on the legality of Senanayake's action as the rules currently stand, but if it was up to me, throwing would be legalised. Anything that makes the batsmans life more challenging should help to readdress the balance between bat and ball and make cricket a more interesting and engaging game all round. If someone with a "dodgy" action came along with the talent and skills to terrorise batsmen like Waqar Younis, Sydney Barnes, Muttiah Muralitharan or Malcolm Marshall have done in the past, surely the sport would be much the poorer for their absence, even if their action did not meet the current rules regarding legal bowling. Other than tradition, what possible reason can there be for this insistence on bowling the ball?
Have you ever played cricket? if throwing was totally legitimised fast bowlers would be doing about 110 mph, and spinners would be turning it all over the shop. Teams wouldn't get past 50.

Or are you being satirical, after all bowling the ball is indeed a thing in cricket.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
:laugh: yeah cos here's us defending his action.

The logical conclusion is that the action has gotten worse, not that the testing was somehow off first time round, the fact that you appear to trust your eyes more than the tests is also questionable

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Wow! Didn't expect this result. ICC does seem to be cracking down on filthy actions and it is high time they did. A bit sour that this didn't happen before the T20 world cup.

harsh.ag

Nah don't worry about it, in the end as I keep on saying if people defend this guys action we're through the looking glass, and it pretty much shows that any persons action will be defended now. He's much, much, much worse than Murali, Ajmal and all the ones that have passed these tests before. Again the first test was lousy the second test just seems to have got it right, but because of the first test I still have no faith in the testing.

Not sure what's illogical about that.
Get a grip.

harsh.ag

a) Because he is a bowler and more importantly b) to distinguish the beautiful game from its American bastard.

And what in god's name are Barnes, Waqar, and Marshall doing in there?