• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Finals

Molehill

International Captain
New Zealand v Argentina on Friday.
England v S Africa on Saturday.

Can anyone see any chance of an upset in either game? Probably more chance in the first for me as Argentina have found a way to beat NZ a couple of times recently, but still looks pretty hopeless.

If England keep SA to 20 they'll have probably done well.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
New Zealand will beat Argentina and England's only hope is that the bruising match last night leaves a mark on South Africa and they don't fire.

NZ v SA final for me.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
New Zealand's attack in the big games has actually been incredibly efficient. They've got 5 tries across the two games against France and Ireland, and in both games they pretty much converted the only opportunities they had to score.

I don't expect Argentina to pose the same challenge, and if New Zealand's attack fires to the same degree as it did in the first two games, they'll absolutely smash Argentina.

Molehill

International Captain
Is there any hope for England? They just look inferior in all departments. I suspect they'll bring back Steward to cope with the high ball, but I fear they'll get beaten up in the scrum again and struggle at the breakdowns. Perhaps only hope is disrupting line out ball, but that's not enough.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Is there any hope for England? They just look inferior in all departments. I suspect they'll bring back Steward to cope with the high ball, but I fear they'll get beaten up in the scrum again and struggle at the breakdowns. Perhaps only hope is disrupting line out ball, but that's not enough.
Very few people gave them a chance last time round in the semis against NZ (2019), so who knows.

Tom Flint

International Regular
If kitshof starts we need to target him, was a walking penalty last night. Go back to the Argentina game and kick everything. I wonder if arundel might be better on the wing, he may not have to best defence (I have no idea tbh) but at least he might have the left to almost keep up with kolbe and arendse

Molehill

International Captain
Very few people gave them a chance last time round in the semis against NZ (2019), so who knows.
They were a decent side in 2019. They'd been doing well in the 6 Nations and had just soundly beaten Australia in the QF's. I gave them a big chance in the semi and it wasn't a surprise.

This time they've been awful in the 6 Nations and have scraped past Fiji in the QF's. There's a massive difference in quality.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
If kitshof starts we need to target him, was a walking penalty last night. Go back to the Argentina game and kick everything. I wonder if arundel might be better on the wing, he may not have to best defence (I have no idea tbh) but at least he might have the left to almost keep up with kolbe and arendse
Kitshoff played one of his worst games I`ve seen in a long time... if the hope is that he plays another bad game then I don't see much hope.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure how he wasn't carded last night.
He did not give that many penalties away... and it was not in a row. He was a nuisance at the breakdown, and pushed the boundaries and got pinged a couple of times cause he kept pushing too hard. But there was never a need for a warning or anything because he was not doing it at every ruck or anything. I also think he only got pinged once in the red zone. He was not even close to a Richie McCaw level...

Ali TT

International Debutant
We may have scraped through but I thought we played quite well tbh.
60/80 minutes were the best I've seen England play for a long time but got overran a bit in those 20 after HT. Need to be full on for all 80 and even better to stand a chance vs SA. But then you have to be in the match to even have a chance...

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
New Zealand v Argentina on Friday.
England v S Africa on Saturday.

Can anyone see any chance of an upset in either game? Probably more chance in the first for me as Argentina have found a way to beat NZ a couple of times recently
Agree. Argentina will be much tougher than Wales would've been (although it would've summed up the current AB team perfectly to have somehow lost to Wales for the 1st time in 70 years!)

Quaggas

State Captain
Nienaber's Freudian (?) slip "...it's gonna be a nice challenge..." in post-France interview. I hope they really do take England seriously; hubris was surely a big factor for England in 2019. Could have been a language thing, though, and I have quoted out of context.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I get the feeling that it could be closer than some might expect

SA are really good but there’s been times in the past where their brawn overrules their brain and England have a chance if they turn it into an arm wrestle