• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Finals

ripper868

International Coach
Well, if the Dutch can beat South Africa, England may be in with a chance as well.

I think for both matches you've got to apply the same 'rule' as the Quarters, NZ and RSA are by far the favourites, absolutely, but Argentina (and to a lesser extent (:ph34r:) England, are professional teams who can pull it out on there day. NZ and RSA will still need to perform to win these.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England have a better chance than Argentina IMO. South Africa don’t slice through teams like NZ do so it’s not quite so difficult for underdogs to stay in the game.

We haven’t seen a big game decided by an early red card yet (unless you count England v Argentina). Always a possibility for the underdogs.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
England have a better chance than Argentina IMO. South Africa don’t slice through teams like NZ do so it’s not quite so difficult for underdogs to stay in the game.

We haven’t seen a big game decided by an early red card yet (unless you count England v Argentina). Always a possibility for the underdogs.
I thought South Africa's first half performance in an attacking sense was similar to New Zealand's - lots of points from not an awful lot of attacking possession.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Argentina look no chance against all blacks but they played like their lives were on the line last week. Their not as skilled as the other top teams but they got a lot of heart in them,

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Argentina look no chance against all blacks but they played like their lives were on the line last week. Their not as skilled as the other top teams but they got a lot of heart in them,
I’ve got some money on Argentina at 8-1 odds. They’ve had some success against the ABs in the last few years and you never know with the frequency of carding these days

Molehill

International Captain
The bookies have NZ at 1-10 to win and SA 1-5. To put that in perspective, England were 1-10 to beat Afghanistan and SA were 1-16 to beat Netherlands.

I suggested Argentina were value at 33-1 before the tournament started, simply due to the nature of the draw and the fact they could come up against a tired semi finalist who had already played a tough QF. You never know, but I can't see them beating NZ.

ripper868

International Coach
Beating NZ in NZ is no mean feat though, Wallabies haven't done it since Dunedin in 2001.

Some similarities between the 2022 team lists and tomorrow's as well, Bolded the players in the 23 for tomorrow night. EDIT: These are the 2022 team lists, I've bolded the 2023 players. I've done this the wrong way round. Sorry.

New Zealand 2022:
15. Jordie Barrett (playing 12)
14. Will Jordan
13. Rieko Ioane

12. David Havili
11. Caleb Clarke
10. Richie Mo’unga
9. Aaron Smith
8. Ardie Savea
7. Sam Cane (captain)
6.Shannon Frizell
5. Scott Barrett
4. Sam Whitelock
3. Tyrel Lomax
2. Samisoni Taukei’aho (Bench)
1. Ethan de Groot.

Replacements:
16 Codie Taylor (Starting 2), 17 George Bower, 18 Fletcher Newell, 19 Tupou Vaa’i, 20 Akira Ioane, 21 Finlay Christie, 22 Stephen Perofeta, 23 Quinn Tupaea.

Argentina 2022:
15. Juan Cruz Mallia
14. Emiliano Boffelli
13. Matias Moroni (Bench)

12. Matias Orlando
11. Lucio Cinti
10. Santiago Carreras
9. Gonzalo Bertranou

8. Pablo Matera
7. Marcos Kremer
6. Juan Martin Gonzalez Samso
5. Tomas Lavanini
4. Matias Alemanno (Bench)
3. Joel Sclavi (Bench)
2. Julian Montoya (captain)
1. Thomas Gallo

Replacements:
16 Santiago Socino, 17 Mayco Vivas, 18 Eduardo Bello, 19 Guido Petti, 20 Santiago Grondona, 21 Tomas Cubelli, 22 Tomas Albornoz, 23 Santiago Cordero.

There is always a chance, 11 of the Argentine players have beaten NZ in NZ, maybe they can do it again in France?

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Los Pumas definitely can win, but chances are they won't.

Probably the team who have disappointed me the most, actually*. Looked decent for about a half v Japan and twenty minutes against the Leekists, but have generally been bang average.

Can't see us laying a glove on RSA either.

*Expected eff all from the Wobblies and got exactly that

Molehill

International Captain
Was reading a preview last night of the Eng/SA game basically saying that England's only hope is to make it a messy, dirty, tight game. Take every opportunity for 3 points and force Libbock to have to kick theirs. In theory, makes sense. Problem though is that I fear every time there's a scrum, which there will be a lot of in this type of game, we'll probably give away a penalty, especially with Cole starting.

I also really fear Kolbe, tricky wingers have a habit of running through our defence from re-starts/high kicks.

ripper868

International Coach
The Kolbe/Arendse double act is such a lethal wing combo, it kind of became a custom to have 1 quick nimble wing, and one more bashy sort of wing, these two are such lightning, and the boks are already big enough across the field, that they can comfortably afford 2 jack-in-the-box type players who can score from literally anywhere.

I'm just looking forward to the games actually starting, it's been a long week!

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The Kolbe/Arendse double act is such a lethal wing combo, it kind of became a custom to have 1 quick nimble wing, and one more bashy sort of wing, these two are such lightning, and the boks are already big enough across the field, that they can comfortably afford 2 jack-in-the-box type players who can score from literally anywhere.

I'm just looking forward to the games actually starting, it's been a long week!
What is nice about them... particularly Kolbe is they pretty good in the air as well. So they fit both a counterattacking and box kicking style.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Argentina $11 **** me. Thing with them they have closed the gap a bit the last couple years. They have been competitive with the likes of NZ, Aus, England, Scotland etc picking up wins here and there

Last edited: