• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Finals

Who makes the final?

• England

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • Wales

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • South Africa

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flem274*

123/5
A qualm I have with the Haka is opposition fans cheering it. It's a ****ing war dance aimed at your team. Show some defiance you stupid *****.
there are a wide range of haka. it's employed in various situations in maori culture. the main body of the ka mate we all know and love is not a war challenge

'Tis death! 'tis death! (or: I may die) ’Tis life! ‘tis life! (or: I may live)
’Tis death! ‘tis death! ’Tis life! ‘tis life!
This is the hairy man
Who summons the sun and makes it shine
A step upward, another step upward!
A step upward, another... the Sun shines!

kapa o pango could be interpreted as such i suppose, but it's so all blacks specific that you couldn't really take it seriously as a war haka

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year

The stand up to the haka I always remember was ****erill and Norm Hewitt in 97.
"They wanted to smash us, we wanted to smash them"

Me: :naughty:

And yet I was the only one who backed them in the tipping competition :p

Well done England, they just crushed NZ with their utterly brutal defence. Kinda has the feel of a changing of the guard in World Rugby.

I still want a new champion, so go Wales!
That was a great game from England. Really set the terms and conditions then executed their own game plan well. Looks like my dream Wales v. New Zealand final waits another our years

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, it was a genuinely great performance from England. Coupled with a below par effort from the NZ pack (Scott Barrett's selection always looked mildly suspect, and NZ got more parity at the breakdown when Cane came on) and the planets aligned.

Lot of time for Linert-Brown and Goodhue, but neither is the kind of punishing carrier like Umaga or Nonu were.

SBW obviously is, but the horse had largely bolted before he came on.

andmark

International Captain
there are a wide range of haka. it's employed in various situations in maori culture. the main body of the ka mate we all know and love is not a war challenge

'Tis death! 'tis death! (or: I may die) ’Tis life! ‘tis life! (or: I may live)
’Tis death! ‘tis death! ’Tis life! ‘tis life!
This is the hairy man
Who summons the sun and makes it shine
A step upward, another step upward!
A step upward, another... the Sun shines!

kapa o pango could be interpreted as such i suppose, but it's so all blacks specific that you couldn't really take it seriously as a war haka
Fair enough (and a fortunate effect here is that no one is linking rugby to war in that case- a link which would obviously be horribly naive).

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
A qualm I have with the Haka is opposition fans cheering it. It's a ****ing war dance aimed at your team. Show some defiance you stupid *****.
My favourite response was from David Campese before the 1991 WC semi-final. Whilst the rest of his side politely stood in line as the AB's did their thing, he spent the duration kicking a ball around his 25m area waiting for the game to begin.

Here we are. Didn't seem to do Campo much harm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP3l19onY6A

Last edited:

andmark

International Captain
My favourite response was from David Campese before the 1991 WC semi-final. Whilst the rest of his side politely stood in line as the AB's did their thing, he spent the duration kicking a ball around his 25m area waiting for the game to begin.

Here we are. Didn't seem to do Campo much harm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP3l19onY6A
Haha, there's something bad ass about him just practising during it. My favourite one is Australia doing a warm up during the Haka. Whilst the NZ players are being extremely serious doing the Haka, Aus are doing some passing practise, making a pretty pattern as they do it haha. It didn't work (NZ won by 37 points) but it is amusing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zwz5e82JWo

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, it was a genuinely great performance from England. Coupled with a below par effort from the NZ pack (Scott Barrett's selection always looked mildly suspect, and NZ got more parity at the breakdown when Cane came on) and the planets aligned.
What struck me was that England didn't concede any points at all from penalty kicks, and I can't recall that happening against serious opposition. No wonder Jones lauded the discipline of the side after the match.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
After the silly tie breaker in the cricket are rugby fans happy with what happens here once the maximum playing time has been exhausted?

Heboric

International Debutant
This semi-final also shows the All Blacks arent immune to silly brain farts aka Sam Whitelock

Spark

Global Moderator
And yet I was the only one who backed them in the tipping competition :p

Well done England, they just crushed NZ with their utterly brutal defence. Kinda has the feel of a changing of the guard in World Rugby.

I still want a new champion, so go Wales!
I'm definitely one of the two that voted for them in the thread poll. Think Howe is the other

Spark

Global Moderator

Lot of time for Linert-Brown and Goodhue, but neither is the kind of punishing carrier like Umaga or Nonu were.

SBW obviously is, but the horse had largely bolted before he came on.
Granted I've watched little to no rugby prior to this WC for ages but man I don't think I've ever seen Retallick and Whitelock just so comprehensively outplayed by their opposite numbers in an actual cruch game... ever.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If the Final is tied after sudden death extra time they appear to have a series of 22 yard free kicks. I wondered if rugby fans think this satisfactory as I don’t generally follow the sport.
Think I've seen on penalty shoot out in rugby ever. Leicester beat Cardiff in a Heineken cup semi in 2009.

If memory serves Martyn Williams was the unlucky man who missed.

I didn't have a massive problem with it, but Blues fans might feel differently.

It's such an unlikely scenario (there's two halves of ten minutes each in extra time and then another ten minutes of sudden death afterwards if the teams are still level) I've never spent too much angst on it.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It’s only happened once before in pro rugby I think (a European cup semi final 10 years ago). It was a Tigers game so I remember watching live, and on that occasion it felt a bit cruel. They did all the kicks right in front of the posts so it ended up being about which of the forwards could kick after all the regular kickers scored. They’ve made it harder now so I think it’s better.

The sudden death seems pretty hard to look past though. It’s too easy to score a drop goal if you’re the team on top.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It’s only happened once before in pro rugby I think (a European cup semi final 10 years ago). It was a Tigers game so I remember watching live, and on that occasion it felt a bit cruel. They did all the kicks right in front of the posts so it ended up being about which of the forwards could kick after all the regular kickers scored. They’ve made it harder now so I think it’s better.

The sudden death seems pretty hard to look past though. It’s too easy to score a drop goal if you’re the team on top.

I can't pretend to have strong views on this, but fewest number of penalties conceded, irrespective if they were kicked for 3 points, strikes me as good a way as any.