• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Finals

Who makes the final?

• England

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • Wales

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • South Africa

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Howe_zat

Audio File
The passing in a maul shouldn't follow the same laws as that in the loose though. It's like saying 'they couldn't tackle the ball carrier, because of the 6 blokes in front of him, so it's obstruction'. Clearly mauls are different.

I think it was the right decision, I've just never seen the passing within a maul enforced before, so I think we're going to have to trust the ref here.

I don't think you can say the maul was broken because it didn't collapse, the players were still binded, and George stayed in contact with the ball anyway.

Last edited:

Meridio

International Regular
The passing in a maul shouldn't follow the same laws as that in the loose though. It's like saying 'they couldn't tackle the ball carrier, because of the 6 blokes in front of him, so it's obstruction'. Clearly mauls are different.

I think it was the right decision, I've just never seen the passing within a maul enforced before, so I think we're going to have to trust the ref here.

I don't think you can say the maul was broken because it didn't collapse, the players were still binded, and George stayed in contact with the ball anyway.
While mauls are different in certain ways re. obstruction, the passing isn't different i.e. it still has to go backwards, just is passed back hand to hand. I disagree, they definitely lost contact with the ball, and surely the maul is over at that point (can't remember if it was George at the back of it or if he was the man in front) - in the same way that it's over when the halfback takes the ball and breaks the continuous contact.

I'm not saying they made the wrong decision necessarily, just that I don't understand why he's not offside. I think what it comes down to is what constitutes the maul being over, and rugby rules are tedious and convoluted at the best of times so meh.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Don't forget they tend to treat an accidental offside with knock on different to deliberate. If you knock on to your player in front of you, they generally don't penalise unless they feel it was deliberate in some way. The wonders of interpretive rugby rules.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Don't forget they tend to treat an accidental offside with knock on different to deliberate. If you knock on to your player in front of you, they generally don't penalise unless they feel it was deliberate in some way. The wonders of interpretive rugby rules.
I went back and had a look and I'm wrong, this is actually it. During the TMO intervention Owens asks 'accidental?' and Jonker says it is. So that's the call.

So I guess you can disagree with that but yeah.

Flem274*

123/5
anyone feel like the reffing has been different in knock outs compared to pool play? they've been kinder with the cards (south africa last week would have copped a red in pool play), and the tmo for tries seems more consistent and less randomised. there's also a lot of forward passing going on. japan did it all last week and nz could have been nailed for it last night too.

i suppose ben skeen having a quiet game last week really helped.

Flem274*

123/5
supporting the underdog wales on the proviso they win the whole thing, but if they're destined to lose next week then south africa need to win this to keep the cup in the hemisphere it belongs.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Good grab from Halfpenny first up, but then got rather isolated at contact and the Boks held him up.

First scrum should be indicative.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Both sides throwing a lot at the breakdown. Fun.

Le Roux with two dodgy involvements, once isolated and then concedes the bomb against the smaller Adams.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Welsh losing every contact on their own ball. Think we're going to see Biggar kicking the leather off the ball all game.

Spark

Global Moderator
anyone feel like the reffing has been different in knock outs compared to pool play? they've been kinder with the cards (south africa last week would have copped a red in pool play), and the tmo for tries seems more consistent and less randomised. there's also a lot of forward passing going on. japan did it all last week and nz could have been nailed for it last night too.

i suppose ben skeen having a quiet game last week really helped.
Another pass that went about 2m forwards not called right there

Spark

Global Moderator
Wales have to find a way to put more way more pressure on FdK or it's hard to see them doing much of anything tonight. Totally controlling the game so far.

Meridio

International Regular
Faf de Klerk one of the more annoying faces in world rugby.

Can't quite work out who I want to win this. SA are from the right hemisphere but play very boring rugby. Wales also play pretty uninspiring stuff but would be great if we had a new champion. Though I reckon SA are a bigger chance against England. Think I'm leaning towards Wales.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Quality of play definitely a couple of classes down from yesterday.

Both sides look happy to kick everything too, which isn't helping the flow.