• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Finals

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I've got NZ and Australia to go through

Had a long think about the Argies but I don't they will be mentally there. I reckon they will just be happy to have had made the semi.

Don't be fooled by Australia finding it tough against Scotland.

I did warn that Scotland would grow an arm and a leg.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
IMO, a lot will depend upon whether Pocock is fit or not

Aside from his obvious skill, he brings solidarity and composure to the Wallabies

We're no more than 50/50 (at best) without him

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
IMO, a lot will depend upon whether Pocock is fit or not

Aside from his obvious skill, he brings solidarity and composure to the Wallabies

We're no more than 50/50 (at best) without him
what's the latest on him. Everyone I know is assuming he will play (along with Folau)

ripper868

International Coach
Didn't train yesterday, road a bike the whole session. Folau pulled up sore as well and didn't finish the session.

We are in trouble, Argentina have been red hot the whole tournament and found an extra gear when it mattered v Ireland. I hope we win (and once again as luck has it, I'll be at the game) but it won't be as easy as Scotland ;). Love the Argie fans as well, bring amazing atmosphere with them, was at Kingsholm when they played Georgia, damn near lifted the roof off the place, never heard 14,000 be so loud!

Meridio

International Regular
Managed to get a ticket for tomorrow - very happy with that! Hoping for a repeat of last week, though obviously expecting a much tougher game.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Pocock and Folau fit. Reckon Australia will win and do it fairly comfortably. Argentina could win, but I reckon Australia will handle the occasion better. But the experience will serve them well, and given how many of their stars are in their early to mid 20's, I reckon Argentina will be a huge threat at the next World Cup.

Oddsmakers putting the SA win at $4.50. Seems generous given SA came within 5 minutes of beating the AB's earlier this season.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Number eight Pocock (calf) and full-back Folau (ankle) missed last week's quarter-final win over Scotland but were declared fit to play after a full-contact training session on Friday.
Prop Scott Sio (elbow) will be replaced by James Slipper.
Loose forward Ben McCalman and utility back Kurtley Beale return to the bench.
Vice-captain Michael Hooper will make his 50th Test appearance.
Australia: Israel Folau, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Tevita Kuridrani, Matt Giteau, Drew Mitchell, Bernard Foley, Will Genia; James Slipper, Stephen Moore (captain), Sekope Kepu, Kane Douglas, Rob Simmons, Scott Fardy, Michael Hooper, David Pocock.
Replacements: Tatafu Polota-Nau, Toby Smith, Greg Holmes, Dean Mumm, Ben McCalman, Nick Phipps, Matt Toomua, Kurtley Beale.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Some Australian fans on the net are writing off the Argies before the game has started. I note most of these fans don't belong in the category of "long suffering Wallabies fan who has been through thick and thin". That latter type is quietly pleased that Folau and Pocock are playing and are playing their cards close to their chest.

The game will be epic. It will be greatest day in Argentina's rugby history. I know they have been to a semi before but they had no hope in that one.

They will be amped.

The Australians for their part may be feeling like a team of destiny. They have a great track record in World Cups in England.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Oddsmakers putting the SA win at $4.50. Seems generous given SA came within 5 minutes of beating the AB's earlier this season.
not really, considering they've lost to Japan, Argentina, the Wallabies...frankly just about everyone within the last couple of years. SA just aren't that good at the moment. Could still beat us of course, but I think they would have lost against a lot of other teams this world cup. Their lineout is their only real strength right now. If the ABs win their own ball in lineouts and scrums I can't see SA doing anything.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
not really, considering they've lost to Japan, Argentina, the Wallabies...frankly just about everyone within the last couple of years. SA just aren't that good at the moment. Could still beat us of course, but I think they would have lost against a lot of other teams this world cup. Their lineout is their only real strength right now. If the ABs win their own ball in lineouts and scrums I can't see SA doing anything.
Not to mention only just scraped past a knackered and half injured Welsh side whilst the All Blacks were tearing France a new one.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
how on earth was that a yellow? Accidentally hit the ball when retiring, the first time the Boks in ABs territory for most of the half. Strange call.

Kaino having a superb game otherwise.

Niall

International Coach
Well I suppose the commentators got it right, Matfield made an impact when he came on:laugh:

Desperately wanted South Africa to win, but that was purely for financial reasons, without doubt, couldn't root for them otherwise. They were admirable today, but they never got close to the tryline and you suspect even if they added another 20 minutes nothing would have changed. NZ if they hadn't been so sloppy with giving up so many penalties in the first half would have won this easier otherwise.