• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag - Best Batsman In World Cricket Right Now

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I know aussie(RIP) will cringe but he is so ****ing great. Silentstriker showed his stats of the last two years which I reproduce -

In the last two years, his average is 60 and he is scoring at S/R of 96. Last 12 months, he averages 71 with a S/R of 101! In ten games. Incredible. (Stats provided by friend Manan Shah).

As Marcuss said in the South Africa in India tour, had he scored his runs at the same rate as Tendulkar, India would have only managed to draw the match. He makes up for India's bowling deficiency (compared to RSA) with his sheer attacking batting.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sehwag has long been the best sort of batsman to have around in circumstances such as India regularly find themeslves in currently.

That's about all as I'll say. :)

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yeh, probably. Also I'd rather watch him than all others right now, possibly save Ponting.

Sir Alex

Banned
As regards to the topic in discussion, I think Yes he just edges ahead of Tendulkar particularly because he countered Mendis in Lanka which Tendulkar did not.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
How Ponting? How not Tendulkar?
In tests, Ponting is the most prized wicket for the opposition, and I think Sehwag is for India. Ponting still plays with a lot of flair and scores at a good clip, kind of like Brian Lara towards the end of his career, he was still out there to dominate attacks. Tendulkar's role has changed overtime and I understand him toning down a bit. Anyways, in tests, Ponting over Tendulkar for me these days.

Sir Alex

Banned
In tests, Ponting is the most prized wicket for the opposition, and I think Sehwag is for India. Ponting still plays with a lot of flair and scores at a good clip, kind of like Brian Lara towards the end of his career, he was still out there to dominate attacks. Tendulkar's role has changed overtime and I understand him toning down a bit. Anyways, in tests, Ponting over Tendulkar for me these days.
Ok. I understand it is completely from a personal perspective and not from any fundamental analysis. It cannot be debated.

asty80

School Boy/Girl Captain
Undoubtedly.. He is the greatest batsman of this decade and it takes REAL talent to score huge centuries with his style of play. Spectators pay to see him bat and the hsppiness he gives ppl is second to none in history.
He makes up for India's lack of world class bwlers.

pasag

RTDAS
Can't think of anyone better at the moment. I'll never forget how he demoralised our bowlers, it got to the stage where you could tell no one wanted to bowl to him because they'd be going for 4 or 6 every ball. It's not just the runs either, it's how he takes control of the match and lays the foundation for the batsmen to come. He's just keeping the throne warm for Watto though :p

Dissector

International Debutant
Yes I think this series establishes Sehwag as the best batsman in the world . Others like Ponting and Kallis who have greater careers are not really dominant today. Despite his rich recent form Tendulkar doesn't measure up to Sehwag over the last couple of years either. Chanderpaul, Sangakarra and Smith who have had some exceptional performances in recent years have dropped back a little in recent series.

Like SS said on the other thread, Sehwag has redefined the nature of test batting. He is scoring at rates which would be considered exceptional in ODI's. He has made run-a-ball hundreds and double hundreds almost seem routine. And these performances aren't coming in dead matches; they have been essential in helping India win on good surfaces against good batting sides like Sri Lanka and now South Africa.

I have a feeling that Sehwag won't age as well as Tendulkar because like Richards he depends too much on his reflexes which will inevitably diminish with age. But if I am wrong and he does manage to continue like this for another 5-6 years he will have a strong case for being the best since Bradman.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Gambhir has nor been far behind for the last year or so.But Sehwag beats him for me.

For Sehwag ,the real test for me will come in England or south africa.

Everywhere else he is currently the best test batsmen.His impact is enormous.

In ODI's though i would not have him among the top3 at the moment.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Yes I think this series establishes Sehwag as the best batsman in the world . Others like Ponting and Kallis who have greater careers are not really dominant today. Despite his rich recent form Tendulkar doesn't measure up to Sehwag over the last couple of years either. Chanderpaul, Sangakarra and Smith who have had some exceptional performances in recent years have dropped back a little in recent series.

Like SS said on the other thread, Sehwag has redefined the nature of test batting. He is scoring at rates which would be considered exceptional in ODI's. He has made run-a-ball hundreds and double hundreds almost seem routine. And these performances aren't coming in dead matches; they have been essential in helping India win on good surfaces against good batting sides like Sri Lanka and now South Africa.

I have a feeling that Sehwag won't age as well as Tendulkar because like Richards he depends too much on his reflexes which will inevitably diminish with age. But if I am wrong and he does manage to continue like this for another 5-6 years he will have a strong case for being the best since Bradman.
He is easily the best batsmen to watch these days and well has been for the past 5 years but I think until Sehwag can consistently perform the way Tendulkar and Lara performed against the best bowling attacks in Australia, South Africa and Pakistan in their time, it would be very hard for anyone to make a case for the best ever since bradman. You have to also factor in Lara and Tendulkars ability to adapt and switch gears coupled with the absolute mastery of all kinds of strokes you can name. When Lara got his eye in, he scored at an astounding strike rate, I recall one match where he reached his 50 off 90 balls and then the next 100 runs off 50 balls or something.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Average of 70 and S/R of 101 in the past 12 months. That's unbelievable. I don't think it's a fair comparison with anyone else at the moment.