• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Second Favorites

a massive zebra

International Captain
From: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Also support: Bangladesh/India/Any team playing Australia

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Support England, second favourites are probably India, because I love watching spin bowling and India have that in abundance (as do Pakistan, Sr Lanka, and Australia in all fairness).

nick-o

State 12th Man
Thanks, everyone, for answering

Here are the results after about 24-hours -- I hope many more people join in for a bigger survey.

The 'second favorite' ranking so far:

WIndies -- 8.5 votes
India -- 7.5 votes
Pakistan -- 7 votes
Australia -- 4.5 votes
SAfrica -- 4 votes
NZealand -- 4 votes
Bangladesh -- 4 votes
Zimbabwe --1 vote
Kenya -- 1 vote
Ireland -- 1 vote
England -- 0.5 votes
SLanka -- 0 votes

The first conclusion is that although so far the most highly-rated first choice is England, with 14 people saying they support England first, practically nobody supports England as their second favorite.

In contrast, only one person has WIndies as their first choice but more people chose WIndies as their second choice than any other.

Second, unless I miscalculated, out of 42 responses, not a single person nominated SriLanka as their second favorite.

The sample's too small to establish regional biases -- England supporters tend to choose India as second favorite; Australians tend to choose WIndies, so far.

I hope more people respond, as it could be really interesting with a larger sample.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
My second favourites is kinda screwed up @ the moment..thanks to England's performance in ashes and Pakistan's performance under Inzi. Earlier Pak, england used to be the last but now a days they are one of my fav. teams. Here are my second fav. in the order right now :-

Pakistan, England, Australia, SA, BD,Zim, WI, NZ

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Dasa said:
I suppose Jono is in the same boat I am, and at least from my perspective, national pride simply means nothing to me - whether it be the country where I was born (Australia) or the country which I culturally identify with (India). I don't see the point in being proud of what is essentially an accident of birth...if I were born in Russia or Barbados or anywhere else, I wouldn't feel proud simply because I was born in such a place.
Woah, Jono's answer's a quite acceptable one definately.

It might be an accident of birth that you were born here, but show some pride for what your country has given you. Are you not proud of what your country has done for you. Pretty selfish if you're willing to take from the country yet not give back by giving your support...

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Slats4ever said:
Woah, Jono's answer's a quite acceptable one definately.

It might be an accident of birth that you were born here, but show some pride for what your country has given you. Are you not proud of what your country has done for you. Pretty selfish if you're willing to take from the country yet not give back by giving your support...
Ummm...how am I not giving back to the country? I pay taxes like everyone else, I don't break any laws - of course I'm giving back to the country. I'm not going to show pride for something I didn't do...and being a part of a nation isn't something I've done to be proud of. How on earth is supporting Australia in cricket giving back to the country anyway??
It seems to me that you're making some sort of connection between me being a traitor or something (sedition perhaps? :) - I'd better look out for ASIO) and not supporting Australia in cricket...what exactly are you insinuating?

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Its not an issue if some one feels he does not want to support is nation's cricket or any other sporting team for whatever reason. If team x,y,z of India keeps on cheating to try and win, I definitely will not support it.

There is no reason not to believe Jono is not a proud Australian or does not give back to his country based on a cricket team he supports.

One question, if there is a war between India and Australia, if an Australian supports India, then there is a definite problem though.

Jdz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
1st) Australia

2) Can't really say I support a specific second team, depends on the game at the time who I'll pick.

What-A-Player

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well, sailing in the Jono Boat

Ask any British-Pakistani if they support England in Cricket Ever? or even Indians for that matter!

PY

International Coach
Dasa said:
I'm not going to show pride for something I didn't do...and being a part of a nation isn't something I've done to be proud of.
That means we can take pride in Australia's efforts in sport because we had something to do with that (ie convict boats). :p

Not that I would mind because it's Australia......:D

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
nehrafan said:

Fav's:INDIA

2nd FAV: Any team playinga gainst Pakistan
Was it you who said that if Pk won a test match against England we could call you anything, please confirm quickly as I am licking my lips :lol:

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Pratyush said:
One question, if there is a war between India and Australia, if an Australian supports India, then there is a definite problem though.
If they're a pacifist there's no problem whatsoever.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Pratyush said:
Its not an issue if some one feels he does not want to support is nation's cricket or any other sporting team for whatever reason. If team x,y,z of India keeps on cheating to try and win, I definitely will not support it.

There is no reason not to believe Jono is not a proud Australian or does not give back to his country based on a cricket team he supports.

It's an interesting point. For me there are two distinct types of national pride/loyalty. Political allegiance & sporting allegiance. I consider it perfectly feasible for loyal, law abiding, tax paying subjects of one country to passionately follow another in the sporting arena. The reasons may be one of heritage or just because you happen to like the way they play!

Arthur Koestler, a British philosopher (bit of a git in many ways, but that's another story) who was born in Hungary served in the British army in WWII but said he could never bring himself to support England ahead of the Magyars on the football pitch.