• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SBS to broadcast Ashes on Australian free-to-air TV

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2005/FEB/191359_AUS_28FEB2005.html

Certainly a bit of a surprise, but welcome news for those cricket fans out there who don't have Foxtel.

This is probably the first Ashes clash which has been 1st vs 2nd since the mid 70s prior to the rise of the West Indies, and is also the first time in a few years (since South Africa 01/02) that Australia has faced a genuine number two contender, so it would have been disappointing if it also became the first Ashes series in decades not to be shown on Australian TV. I wonder what sort of commentary team SBS will come up with?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
This is probably the first Ashes clash which has been 1st vs 2nd since the mid 70s prior to the rise of the West Indies
I'd say that West Indies were better than England throughout the '70s (and it is borne-out by results, too).
The only possible times since the 1940s when The Ashes have been 1st vs 2nd was 1968 and 1970\71.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
i would have thought they'd just use the same commentators as the english telecast, like channel seven did IIRC.

Yes ive been campaigning heavily to have the ashes shown on free to air television in recent weeks and it appears my hard work has paid off. Sure, with Les Murray leading the commentary team it wont be the same but hey, i dont mind his efforts within football in this country.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SBS is a cool station, good to see them again showing something the others wouldn't - even if it's a bit of a mystery as to why when it's the Ashes. Now bring on the German and Swedish commentators and have subtitles - that would be hilarious.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Son Of Coco said:
SBS is a cool station, good to see them again showing something the others wouldn't - even if it's a bit of a mystery as to why when it's the Ashes. Now bring on the German and Swedish commentators and have subtitles - that would be hilarious.
I'd love to see them put together their own commentary team like the ABC did when they got to show part of the Bangladesh test series due to channel 9 preferring to show the football.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'd love to see them put together their own commentary team like the ABC did when they got to show part of the Bangladesh test series due to channel 9 preferring to show the football.
Yeah, that would be great......I'm free during that period I think :D

"Lee with a short ball - Ach Tung!"

Scallywag

Banned
Whoa hoo go SBS you little beauty.

Maybe Ray Hadlee could commentate his use of words would not be out of place on SBS.

Scallywag said:
Whoa hoo go SBS you little beauty.

Maybe Ray Hadlee could commentate his use of words would not be out of place on SBS.
Ray will pull your f-kn ears if he hears about that sarcastic line. Amusing none the less though.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
certainly good news, i have foxtel so it doesnt effect me all that much, i hope SBS put their own commentary team, will be interesting to see who they chose...

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Richard said:
I'd say that West Indies were better than England throughout the '70s (and it is borne-out by results, too).
The only possible times since the 1940s when The Ashes have been 1st vs 2nd was 1968 and 1970\71.
And South Africa a distant third, presumably? :dry:

Ray Hadley

Cricket Spectator
Who let you on here Laws? No callers over there at 2UE?

I received a call from Les Murray re commentary this morning, and am considering his offer.

Bookie

U19 12th Man
I dont care who the commentry team is, becuase theyll be without a hitch better than those biased English commentators.

Les Murray, Damo Lovelock, Simon Hill, Tony Palumbo, Francis Awaritife.

I reckon Anton Enus and Leelee Chen could send some comments in as well.

Or they could sign KOK

Josh

International Regular
I'm wagering that they'll just use the telecast direct from England without changing a thing, commentators and all. Saves expenses that way.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Josh said:
I'm wagering that they'll just use the telecast direct from England without changing a thing, commentators and all. Saves expenses that way.
Most likely. I wouldn't mind them borrowing the ABC radio commentators if possible. They're both government funded organisations after all, and ABC has some pretty good commentators, better than all the channel 9 lot bar Richie. When ABC had the Bangladesh test they used Greg Chappell too, who was dropped from channel 9 a while ago but is a much better commentator than his brother.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Most likely. I wouldn't mind them borrowing the ABC radio commentators if possible. They're both government funded organisations after all, and ABC has some pretty good commentators, better than all the channel 9 lot bar Richie. When ABC had the Bangladesh test they used Greg Chappell too, who was dropped from channel 9 a while ago but is a much better commentator than his brother.
I don't like Greg Chappell's commentary myself. He sounds lifeless and seems to pause too much. However, Ian isn't much better.
I like the usual Sky team.