• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sanga retiring, where does he place?

Sanga retiring, where does he place?

• 2nd greatest Test batsman ever

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Just above Tendulkar and Lara

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Same level as Tendulkar and Lara

Votes: 21 36.8%
  • Just below Tendulkar and Lara

Votes: 30 52.6%

• Total voters

Flem274*

123/5
Kohli was never at the crease long enough to notice the conditions never mind work them out.
i haven't looked but i'm sure there's some good compilations of his english batting on youtube for him to take a good look at.

if not i think cricket fans should help him out, you know, for his benefit of course.

Flem274*

123/5
Seriously though, do people yay or nay the idea that getting more chances to bat in a country (both as a longer series and as a regularly occurring series) is less beneficial to improving your batting than playing a really short series once in a blue moon?

Because I think it would be a big help, even if it has it's drawbacks (if you never improve you get to average 20 forever).

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Seriously though, do people yay or nay the idea that getting more chances to bat in a country (both as a longer series and as a regularly occurring series) is less beneficial to improving your batting than playing a really short series once in a blue moon?

Because I think it would be a big help, even if it has it's drawbacks (if you never improve you get to average 20 forever).
In terms of your actual record it can be a massive negative. If you play a long series and the bowling attack works you out, your record is really going to suffer (see Kohli vs England, every Australian and Indian batsman not named Michael Hussey or Rahul Dravid who played England in 2010 and 2011).

Longer, more regular series are an obvious plus if you're in conditions that suit or you're up against rubbish bowling (India). Against a good side in favourable conditions, your record benefits from shorter series (Smith this series could be a good example if he doesn't make a score at the Oval.)

Burner

International Regular
Actually, when you are utterly failing, you would rather that failure be a short embarrassment once in a blue moon rather than suffering from ignominy in a long-f***-my-life series.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
The whole post was full of drivel but I wanted a crack at this part in particular. Kohli faced about 20 balls in the entire series, the only thing he got a good look at was the dressing rooms.
How many deliveries Kohli faces is his fault. Sanga faced more balls than Kohli in England maybe because he earned the right to face more balls by being a better player?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
In terms of your actual record it can be a massive negative. If you play a long series and the bowling attack works you out, your record is really going to suffer (see Kohli vs England, every Australian and Indian batsman not named Michael Hussey or Rahul Dravid who played England in 2010 and 2011).

Longer, more regular series are an obvious plus if you're in conditions that suit or you're up against rubbish bowling (India). Against a good side in favourable conditions, your record benefits from shorter series (Smith this series could be a good example if he doesn't make a score at the Oval.)
Actually, when you are utterly failing, you would rather that failure be a short embarrassment once in a blue moon rather than suffering from ignominy in a long-f***-my-life series.
The problem with these arguments is that they are based on the advantage of hindsight. Kohli averages 20 so it is easy to say 'oh his record will suffer even more'

Had he failed in the first 3 games and then managed a century in the 4th, (which is what he did in Australia in 2011), because he had managed to work out his weaknesses, this argument would fall flat.

Kohli is a quality player and his average will not always be 20 against England. Sanga failed in England the first time he toured too but over the years he managed to work out his problems with the limited opportunities he got. Kohli will get more opportunities to work out his problems. Whether he manages to do so or not, only time will tell. I for one rate Kohli very highly so I am confident he would.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The whole post was full of drivel but I wanted a crack at this part in particular. Kohli faced about 20 balls in the entire series, the only thing he got a good look at was the dressing rooms.
:laugh:

NOt meaning to derail the thread, but Kohli actually looked good in the first innings at Lords (IIRC) where he made 25 and looked very comfortable at the crease.. I would say he was almost bossing it before he nicked off playing an expansive drive. But it all went downhill very rapidly from then...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

I actually agree with you that in theory, it SHOULD be an advantage. But especially in this T20 era, it is not. Long term learning is effective only if you get to make the adjustments and reap the rewards through a longer stint. We tour and play 4 or 5 tests in like a month or something. There is hardly any downtime for these guys to implement any real kind of learning. To me, it is more about playing a long tour than playing more tours often... But then again, this make Sanga conquering Boult that much more impressive given they only play 2 or 3 test series most of the time...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Conversely though, given these guys are playing test cricket for their countries, they should be talented enough that extended exposure to difficult conditions should make them better equipped to handle those, right?

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
That was the role they adopted because they were more naturally limited in their stroke play. If they were capable of scoring at the same rate as the "glory boys" they would have.
Do you honestly believe Chanders is at Ponting-Tendulkar-Ponting level? Kallis, Dravid, Sanga etc. I can absolutely agree and understand but Chanders?
Okay. Well if you seriously think Chanderpaul's a Lara in waiting who was asked to reign himself in to anchor the innings, carry on.
1st Test: West Indies v Australia at Georgetown, Apr 10-13, 2003 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Chanders just cannot attack bowling in conditions except the flattest tracks. To his credit though, he worked out the best way to score runs and spend time at the wicket and did that better than anybody else in that Windies side, second only to BCL...

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tarnished his career in his last few matches etc etc.

Nah, what a player. So sad. Magnificent player and firmly in that "best-after Bradman" tier.