• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin - The Underperformer - Kapil Dev

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The premise/contention of the article isn't necessarily rubbish. One could argue that Tendulkar should have been better than he was - and some on CW have said so. Notable Dasa, back when he was around.

However the way Kapil has expressed his view, and the facts he has used to back it up are really poor. Firstly when naming the ODI innings in which he believes Sachin utilised his talent, he names two from 2009. Not mentioning any of his knocks where he attacked from the start back in 98, 2003 (World Cup in particular) etc. Embarrassing.

Also the way he compared Gavaskar and Sachin was quite contrived. Sachin doesn't "destroy a bowler in the first over" because at times he can't because they're bowling well, and at other times because the team doesn't need it with Sehwag blasting away at the other end.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Also :lol: at Kapil saying for Sachin's talent, he should have made a 300 and at least one 400.

Wtf?

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
This is not an attack on Kapil but I find it ironic reading this from Kapil himself. It is Kapil who never fulfilled his potential as a batsman. There is consensus among his peers that Kapil was a much better batsman than his performances or stats show. He had the chance to bail out India so many times and he did it so rarely despite the talent.

IMO he has been India's most gifted cricketer to-date.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
I read the article and found it in very bad taste. People are correct in saying Sachin has not acheived as much as he could have but the way the article was written seemed like he wanted to play the party pooper.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't really agree that Sachin could have been much better. Whatever the limiting factor on his ability was, it wasn't technique, fitness or a willingness to work hard at his game, so I don't think it was anything he could have changed.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I also think the idea that Sachin hasn't had to work hard is incredibly insulting, not only to Sachin but to international cricket in general.

Being naturally good doesn't mean you can just laze around and not actually put your head down and think about your weaknesses, and practice against the short ball, and improve your running between the wickets etc.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's bollocks by a lot of accounts anyway. When Shane Warne was due to visit India he reportedly hunted down every leg-spinner in the country and spent months practicing against them in the nets until he had it down to a fine art. Then there's the anecdotes about the day when he thought his straight drive wasn't working correctly and so played an entire innings, scoring a century, without playing a single straight drive.

Just because he makes batting look effortless doesn't mean he's not trying.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Definely. The double ton vs. Aust without a cover drive as well.

Tendulkar's work ethic would be there just as much as a Dravid or Kallis etc.

I imagine the same would go for Ponting as well.

You don't score 10,000+ runs simply because you were born with a decent talent of hitting a cricket ball.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Tendulkar, in the first part of his career, achieved less IMO. He used to get out to scores of less than 150 where Lara used to make the bigger scores. This changed in the 2000s and Tendulkar makes the big scores now. He is a run machine and you can't fault that in a player. Even Bradman was criticised for being too mechanical in scoring his runs but if that is a criticism, I'd take it any day.

Kapil Dev bet against Tendulkar that he wouldn't last in the game 10 or 15 years (not sure whether it's 10 or 15). That is an extremely harsh bet to make against any youngster IMO. Regardless of that, I don't want to attack Kapil Dev as it would sound cheap coming from a Tendulkar fan.

The way Tendulkar has shaped his career, lasting for 20 plus years and every one believing he will last till 2011 world cup (if not till the 2011-12 Aussie tour which is a remote possibility as well), the man is the epitome of utilising your talent and constantly improving aspects a player (like say the innovative strokes he plays nowadays).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If Tendulkar comes here to Aust in 2011/12 and is still playing I will travel to every single match there is and watch him.

Would be a miracle. Probably will have given up ODIs by then and will be playing tests only, but ya never know.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Dhoni reportedly wants Tendulkar to play the 2015 WC in Aus/NZ too, and Steve Waugh reckons Tendulkar has it in him to carry on in Test cricket till he's 45.

I agree with Sanz about it being ironic that the man who neglected his batting is the one accusing another of underachieving.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I also think the idea that Sachin hasn't had to work hard is incredibly insulting, not only to Sachin but to international cricket in general.

Being naturally good doesn't mean you can just laze around and not actually put your head down and think about your weaknesses, and practice against the short ball, and improve your running between the wickets etc.
Yeah, very few people who know the first thing about Tendulkar don't realise that he's one of the most ferocious workers at his game you'll ever see. An extraordinary amount of talent and an extraordinary amount of work-ethic is what has made him as good as he's been, and nothing less.

As I say in my earlier post, you can always say someone could have done better because, well, they could - no batsman comes remotely close to having been got out in every dismissal, so thus every time a batsman got himself out he could have done better. But Tendulkar has done as well as anyone except Don Bradman has ever done and better than almost everyone else.

And as for Kapil I don't know all that much about his off-field "exploits" but he'd be far from the only ex-player to be a bit bitter about one of his successors.

Last edited:

irfan

State Captain

Haaaaaaaaaave you met Yuvraj?