• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby Union All-Time Draft

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have have next to no knowledge about Rugby History, but will give it a crack if you need someone to fill in for Perm.

99*

International Debutant
I have have next to no knowledge about Rugby History, but will give it a crack if you need someone to fill in for Perm.
No prob.

My pick btw will be, Richard Loe prop from NZ.

Clapo, I think you're 2 or three players behind. So just pick until you have the same number as me.

Phil Kearns (#2)
Richard Loe (#3)
Colin Meads (#5)
Sir William Wavell Wakefield (#6)
Jean Prat (#7)
Wayne (Buck) Shelford (#8)
Hugo Porta (#10)
Frank Bunce (#12)
Andy Irvine (#15)

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Should've picked up a few of my locks earlier, so want to take Victor Matfield before he goes.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Counted I need 3 players to catch up sooo:

Stephen Larkham (#10) @ Fly-Half. Probs my favourite player of all time, WAG.
Nathan Sharpe (#4) @ Lock
John Smit (#2) @ Hooker.

John Smit (#2)
Carl Hayman (#3)
Nathan Sharpe (#4)
Richie McCaw (#7)
Justin Marshall (#9)
Stephen Larkham (#10)
Jeff Wilson (#14)
JPR Williams (#15)

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Posting to see how long it's been since Indipper posted...

EDIT: Golly it's been days since I've posted my next choice, and I've had a tiny holiday in that time. I figured you guys would have skipped over me a couple of times.

Last edited:

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I'm happy nobody has selected Gerrie Brand at no.15 because he's just about the last fullback I would have been contented with. If I couldn't have Brand then I'd select from a group of another four great Springbok fullbacks. But Brand is ahead of those four fullbacks, in my mind, because he's a legend of the game.

Brand is the man Danie Craven, never one-eyed or biased about anything great in South Africa, rated as the best player he ever played with or against. What's more, I needed a goal-kicker in my side. Actually I'm not sure if Cliff Morgan was a goal-kicker, but even if he is, Brand was probably a more prolific goal-kicker. Brand's 55m penalty is legendary in what it meant to South Africa winning in New Zealand in 1937.

If Brand is the best player Craven played with or against and he played in the side rated the best to ever leave New Zealand's shores, then he's not a bad 9th round pick. Believe me, he was the last fullback I wanted.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
My side thus far...

3. Francis Cotton (England)
4. Gordon Brown (Scotland)
5. Willie John McBride (Ireland)
6. Ian Kirkpatrick (New Zealand)
7. Jan Ellis (South Africa)
8. Zinzan Brooke (New Zealand)
9. Ken Catchpole (Australia)
10. Cliff Morgan (Wales)
15. Gerrie Brand (South Africa)

I can't help but think I've let myself down by not selecting more South Africans. And curse the man who selected Ian McLaughlin and foiled my plans for a particular tight five.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I know my team is developing a distinct red rose bias, but I can't not select Richard Hill (the flanker, not the scrum half) for another round. Quite simply the outstanding six of his generation and might just be the best back row forward we've produced ever. Big Dick never sought the limelight like his confreres in the loosies, but boy did we miss him when he wasn't there. Tackled like a Trojan, made the hard yards &, fittingly for the openside he used to be, won a lot of turnover. The player of the 2001 Lions tour despite playing only a test and a half and, with no knees, inspired Sarries to the Heineken semi in his swansong last year.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
The player of the 2001 Lions tour despite playing only a test and a half and, with no knees
Hmm. I was watching that series about a month ago. Keith Wood was named MOTM in the first Test. I'm not sure if I agree with that though. O'Driscoll was incredible. Aside from his famous solo try at the start of the second half, he unlocked the defence a couple of times in that match with the most subtle of moves. I remember Howley going down the blindside with O'Driscoll finding space and beating Owen Finnegan in cover. Then in the second Test he had that famous chip and chase that came off, but unfortunately he was injured.

O'Driscoll match the best player on that tour IMO. That was him at his best, in his prime, and actually as I look at those Tests, there really wasn't anything not to like about his game. He was pretty much the complete centre. If he'd have played like that his entire career I think he'd be right up there with the best of centres like Mike Gibson.

I do rate Hill's performances in that series, especially since he was asked to play openside for the first Test. It's no coincidence that the Lions dominated Australia right up to the moment Nathan Grey elbowed him in the face. The Lions were one and a half Tests up in that series and when Hill didn't come out for the second half in the second Test things went to hell.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I'm sure someone has taken him, but can't find a post.

So Tana Umaga (12/13/14)

Can someone double check please.