• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby Union All-Time Draft

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gah, thought I'd made up all my picks, sorry.

EDIT: Dammit, Voltman already has Gerber, back to the drawing board.

Jeremy Guscott

I know he was a centre, but dunno if he played as #12 or #13?

Last edited:

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I'll select Jo Maso at no. 12.

One of the great French centres. His career was only diminished by French selectors (mainly forwards) who felt he played with too much flair. In all honesty, there's such a hoard of great centres left that I could have chosen that I'm not sure whether Maso was the best choice...

Lots of great centres still to choose from.

My side thus far...

3. Francis Cotton
4. Gordon Brown
5. Willie John McBride
6. Ian Kirkpatrick
7. Jan Ellis
8. Zinzan Brooke
9. Ken Catchpole
10. Cliff Morgan
12. Jo Maso
15. Gerrie Brand

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
The most capped Welshman ever, Gareth Thomas

Jason Leonard (#1)
Paul O'Connell (#4)
Bill Beaumont (#5)
Jerry Collins (#6)
George Smith (#7)
Lawrence Dallaglio (#8)
Jonah Lomu (#11)
Brian O'Driscoll (#13)
Bryan Habana (#14)
Gareth Thomas (#15)

Indipper

State Regular
Will have another Scot in my front row, Iain Milne.

Ian McLauchlan (#1)
Peter Wheeler (#2)
Iain Milne (#3)
Benoit Dauga (#4)
Frik du Preez (#5)
Fergus Slattery (#7)
Mervyn Davies (#8)
Dave Loveridge (#9)
Jackie Kyle (#10)
Serge Blanco (#15)

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Indipper, for mine you are winning this thing hands down! Such a great side that and the fact that you recognised Iain Milne makes me happy. I've got a Barbarians match on DVD between Australia and the Babaas and Iain Milne came up against an Australian named Stan Pilecki who was in his late 30s at the times. It seriously looked like a son crippling his father because poor old Stan's legs couldn't handle the sheer force of Iain Milne.

If I'm picking the best rugby side of the 80s, Milne is in there.

Interesting to note: When selecting his best side of all-time, Barry John selected Jo Maso in his side. John retired in 1971 and Maso retired in 1973. So John was well exposed to Maso. I just find it interesting because there's not a lot of players I've known who've seen Maso and Sella and commented about it in their books. John picked Maso over Sella.

Last edited:

ripper868

International Coach
Interesting to note: When selecting his best side of all-time, Barry John selected Jo Maso in his side. John retired in 1971 and Maso retired in 1973. So John was well exposed to Maso. I just find it interesting because there's not a lot of players I've known who've seen Maso and Sella and commented about it in their books. John picked Maso over Sella.
Yeah well everyone else picked Sella over Maso, including me :p

Indipper

State Regular
Indipper, for mine you are winning this thing hands down! Such a great side that and the fact that you recognised Iain Milne makes me happy. I've got a Barbarians match on DVD between Australia and the Babaas and Iain Milne came up against an Australian named Stan Pilecki who was in his late 30s at the times. It seriously looked like a son crippling his father because poor old Stan's legs couldn't handle the sheer force of Iain Milne.

If I'm picking the best rugby side of the 80s, Milne is in there.
Thanks. I was rather glad when you picked Cotton (:ph34r:) cause that meant Milne was practically mine.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This round I pick Syd Millar (Ireland)

Current Team
Syd Millar (#1)
Ewen McKenzie (#3)
Brad Thorn (#4)
John Eales (#5)
Morne du Plessis (#8)
Joost van der Westhuizen (#9)
Michael Lynagh (#10)
Lote Tuqiri (#11)
Joe Rokocoko (#14)
Matthew Burke (#15)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
My pick for this round is the incredibly hardnosed hooker Uli Schmidt - another player who we didn't see the best of, thanks to SA's isolation, but even at the back end of his career, he was brutally physical in more ways than one.

Voltman
Serafin Dengra (#1)
Uli Schmidt (#2)
Aaron "Okey" Geffin (#3)
Michael Jones (#7)
Dawie De Villiers (#9)
John Rutherford (#10)
Rupeni Caucaunibuca (#11)
Mike Gibson (#12)
Danie Gerber (#13)
Prince Alexander Obolensky (#14)

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Next pick for me is Tony Woodcock as a loosehead prop. Big fella has decent ball handling skills, and apart from du Randt/Leonard, he's the best loosehead prop that I can think of (as I was saying, my rugby history knowledge is basically non-existent). Do resent him for the 2 tries he scored against the Wallabies in August last year though :dry:

Clapo
Tony Woodcock (#1)
John Smit (#2)
Carl Hayman (#3)
Nathan Sharpe (#4)
Richie McCaw (#7)
Justin Marshall (#9)
Stephen Larkham (#10)
Jeremy Guscott (#13)
Jeff Wilson (#14)
JPR Williams (#15)

99*

International Debutant
Will finish off my front row now then. I'll have Tom Smith (SCO).

Tom Smith (#1)
Phil Kearns (#2)
Richard Loe (#3)
Colin Meads (#5)
Sir William Wavell Wakefield (#6)
Jean Prat (#7)
Wayne (Buck) Shelford (#8)
Hugo Porta (#10)
Frank Bunce (#12)
Andy Irvine (#15)

No South Africans yet, hmm.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hmmm, just looking on Scrum.com, he seems to have been listed at 12 far more than 13. Brumby, are you able to confirm if he played best at 12 or 13?
Definitely remember him best as an outside centre. Played dozens of times with Carling inside him at 2nd 5/8. In fact, if memory serves, he (Gusgitt) played on the wing a couple of times too.

Think it was a superstition thing. I know Will Greenwood played 2nd 5 & wore 13 and I think Carling was the same. I certainly recall him (Carling) as an inside centre.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, it was a superstition thing - one of them (can't remember who but by the sounds of it, probably Carling) liked wearing a certain shirt number.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Bit of a problem lads. I'll be away on holiday for the weekend so I wont be able to keep up with this. I know who I want for my next choice, and if that person gets picked I know who I want for my back-up. What to do?

99*

International Debutant
Bit of a problem lads. I'll be away on holiday for the weekend so I wont be able to keep up with this. I know who I want for my next choice, and if that person gets picked I know who I want for my back-up. What to do?
Probably best to E-mail it to someone who can do the picks for you. But you run the risk of having both the players you want being picked and having no back up.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
If I were you I'd send an email or public message to someone below you on the list and they can select for you.

Edit - yup as above.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I'd e-mail my choices to BoyBrumby but I don't have his e-mail. Because he's behind me, Brumby can't steal any of my picks.