• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Robin Jackman

SeamUp

International Coach
Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Vale.

A wonderful, mellifluous voice and an owner who subscribed to Richie Benaud's philosophy of only deploying it when he felt it could add something to the picture the viewers were seeing.

Seems incredible a chap who took 1400 FC wickets at a tick over 22 had to wait until his mid 30s for a test call.

One can't help but wonder if his southern African connexions played a part.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Vale.

A wonderful, mellifluous voice and an owner who subscribed to Richie Benaud's philosophy of only deploying it when he felt it could add something to the picture the viewers were seeing.

Seems incredible a chap who took 1400 FC wickets at a tick over 22 had to wait until his mid 30s for a test call.

One can't help but wonder if his southern African connexions played a part.
I doubt it. But he was a very fine county player and, as others have said, this has been arotten couple of days for Surrey fans of a certain generation

the big bambino

International Captain
Not a good Christmas for Surrey

First John Edrich and now the Shoreditch Sparrow

RIP Jackers
John Edrich too? Didn't hear about that. An awesome player who seemingly batted all summer when I first saw him. Famous in my memory. Respect to him and Robin Jackman.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Since Benaud he's in the top 3 commentators I've heard - the others being Bishop and Coney. He had real gravitas and seemed to have a great rapport with other SA commentators of that era including Manthorp, Haysman and Wessels